Hardwood vs. Softwood and other Millipede Questions

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sow bugs or springtails will not disturb them. BIC sells them. I wouldn't put cockroaches in there with them.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Really? I've heard from many places including BIC that cockroaches and mollipedes can coexist peacefully. What does anyone else think?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I personally observed a 50 gallon-long terrarium at a local botanical garden around 2004 with a hundred or more captive bred AGBs and a hundred or more Blaberus giganteus. The keeper said they had been together for years and there was no question the AGBs which were mostly half-grown had of course grown up in there. Overcrowding is relative to the cage and animals and is likely to occur more rapidly with multiple species. Considering the only 'designer' isopod lines are mine I'd have the least interest in bashing isopod use with any animal but I would strongly suggest hobbyists not put them with millipedes.

---------- Post added 11-30-2011 at 01:49 PM ----------

For your first question: I've had a Bumblebee for a few months now (and living in Florida) the temperature has ranged from the low 90s to upper 50s and my pede is still doing just fine.
Do you keep it outside raised above the ground with limited substrate to eliminate temperature buffering?

Last edited:

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I personally observed a 50 gallon-long terrarium at a local botanical garden around 2004 with a hundred or more captive bred AGBs and a hundred or more Blaberus giganteus. The keeper said they had been together for years and there was no question the AGBs which were mostly half-grown had of course grown up in there. Overcrowding is relative to the cage and animals and is likely to occur more rapidly with multiple species. Considering the only 'designer' isopod lines are mine I'd have the least interest in bashing isopod use with any animal but I would strongly suggest hobbyists not put them with millipedes.
I already have some Armadilidium in there. Why isn't it a good idea? Will they harm my millipedes?

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have a lot of millis in one tank, adding more insects is just not a good idea, over-crowding can hurt your millipedes as far as molting and breeding goes.
As for the rest of your questions, google is a marvelous site.