Hardiness of Leiurus quinquestriatus / Androctonus australis

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
Good day everyone!
Came across some Leiurus quinquestriatus & Androctonus australis and was thinking of adding them to my collection.
I've done some research but felt that experiences from keepers/breeders would be a more convincing source.
My question is how hardy are Leiurus quinquestriatus / Androctonus australis ?
(*Juveniles/Subadults)(3i-4i)/(4i-5i)
(Eg. how long can they go without food/water/care , provided they are put in a favorable spot with proper temp and sunlight)
(Can they be left while we go on vacation? (3-4weeks) (Fed before vacation)

Deathstalker.jpg Androctonus-australis.png
Pic for illustrations only not actual specimens

Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance and have a nice day guys!

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Good day everyone!
Came across some Leiurus quinquestriatus & Androctonus australis and was thinking of adding them to my collection.
I've done some research but felt that experiences from keepers/breeders would be a more convincing source.
My question is how hardy are Leiurus quinquestriatus / Androctonus australis ?
(*Juveniles/Subadults)(3i-4i)/(4i-5i)
(Eg. how long can they go without food/water/care , provided they are put in a favorable spot with proper temp and sunlight)
(Can they be left while we go on vacation? (3-4weeks) (Fed before vacation)

View attachment 384709 View attachment 384710
Pic for illustrations only not actual specimens

Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance and have a nice day guys!
Subadults are quite hardy... they can go 3-4 weeks without food, as long as you feed them first and remove any prey before you leave.

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
Subadults are quite hardy... they can go 3-4 weeks without food, as long as you feed them first and remove any prey before you leave.
Thank you for the info! Appreciate it!
I know some prey may attack the scorpions if it isn't removed from the enclosure but how about mealworms / superworms?
Can they be left in the enclosure (in a shallow dish) in case the scorpions decide to feed again in the 3-4 weeks vacation period?
*Side question, whats your experience of keeping them communal/ pair?

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the info! Appreciate it!
I know some prey may attack the scorpions if it isn't removed from the enclosure but how about mealworms / superworms?
Can they be left in the enclosure (in a shallow dish) in case the scorpions decide to feed again in the 3-4 weeks vacation period?
*Side question, whats your experience of keeping them communal/ pair?
I would not leave any type of prey in there incase your scorpion happens to molt and the prey can stress it out and it can have a bad molt.

Both the LQ and the AA are not communal species...

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
I would not leave any type of prey in there incase your scorpion happens to molt and the prey can stress it out and it can have a bad molt.

Both the LQ and the AA are not communal species...
Noted. Thanks for sharing, appreciate it 🙏!!!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Quite hardy keep them at 85F-95F. The first few earliest instars should have a light weekly misting to keep them hydrated and assist with molting. Try to keep the majority of the substrate dry while doing so.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Noted! Thank you, appreciate the advice!
If you are worried about feeding prior to a possible molt, or prior to going on vacation- just feed Crushed Head Mario Worms. Make sure the head is well crushed if leaving in enclosure, they won't be able to burrow, or be a threat if your scorpion molts while you are away.

Darkchrist31

Arachnosquire
If you are worried about feeding prior to a possible molt, or prior to going on vacation- just feed Crushed Head Mario Worms. Make sure the head is well crushed if leaving in enclosure, they won't be able to burrow, or be a threat if your scorpion molts while you are away.
Thank you for the advice!! 🙏 ^_^