Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Hardened fangs after molt

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by BoyFromLA, Dec 10, 2017.

1. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Advertisement
    Search after search, I loosely grabbed the concept of tarantula’s fangs being hardened after molt, telling by their color change from white to red to black. And it will usually take from two or three days to a week for a sling, and will take even much longer as tarantula grows up.

I will surely wait for my freshly molted tarantula to be ready, but I just wanted to get a clear view of this.

1F1A21E4-732D-46D9-BD2B-AC7C340E7FF4.jpeg

What stage is in for this sling’s fangs?

2. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

look reddish black to me.. but very bad lighting

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

It's easy for me. At the sling stage, chelicerae harden quickly. With adults, they need more days. So you can't go wrong doing this... screw the colour, wait a good 5/6 days for slings, and a good 20/25 for juve/adults.

Just waiting, instead of watching the colour.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoyFromLA

CA
    I guess this makes more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I swear, is what I do since the '90 :)

As I love to say, always: 'waiting never harmed no one so far', go figure, then, Theraphosidae... that in the wild eat when they can, only.

6. BoyFromLA

CA
    It’s a win win for both a human & a tarantula!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Devin B

Devin B Arachnobaron

I usually wait about a week or so for slings and longer as they get bigger. I sometimes check the fang color if I have a good view to double check.

8. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I use five day increments - five days for spiderlings, ten days for juveniles, fifteen days for adults.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.