Happy Hippy Rehab

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I mentioned in a previous thread that I have a new Veiled Cham rescue kid with severe MBD issues... he's on liquid calcium 2x a day, probably for the rest of his life.. and I'm doing all I can to possibly reverse any of the damage ...specifically, prevent any further damage.

We've been taking advantage of the mild temps here and the nice sunshine that my front porch and yard gets, for the early part of the day. I hope the natural sunlight, along with his bulbs, are benefiting him.

Where's the Happy Hippy?

He likes to hang out in the freshly watered Jasmine vines. He's allowed free range for an hour or so, then goes back in his screen for hunting. He's supervised the entire time he's free.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm glad you found him and are taking proper care of him. I don't know if the effects of MBD can be reversed, but I'm glad you are making sure he gets no further damage from calcium shortages in his diet.
Is he active and eating well now?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you, Mina. He's never gone off feed. He eats about 10 4 week crickets a day.. or other bugs (silks, phoenix, supers, roaches)... loaded and dusted. He is pretty active when he's free ranging, but his joints are damaged quite a bit and it makes him clumsy footed. I worry about him falling so much.... one good fall and his back could break or anything. I have his viv massively planted and am adding low range plants now, too... trying to present a "cushion" for any falls.

The main thing is that his attitude is good... he gives me a good nip and the "face" when it's time for his meds. You can just see his whole demeanor change when he sees the "syringe" coming out. I giggle, but it really is a sad thing that he has had such a bad time of it with neglectful pet store folks.

My poor baby gets all the spoiling and loving a Chameleon can tolerate, though... so I'm trying to make up for his past. (He has new lights and good foods and supplements, as well)

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just want to applaud you :clap: for taking in Hippy and giving him an opportunity to live the rest of his days in a loving home. Too many animals are neglected and its always a daunting trying and save them. I wish you two the best and I hope he has a long life ahead of him. :)

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you, Harrod... but all the applauding is for Hippy. This guy has been a trooper through all his mishandling and he's still being a tough cookie. :clap:

I feel very blessed to have him here and be able to learn from him.