happy day turned sad

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was already upset because someone stole my cell phone. When I left my house, I told my sister to put the cat in the bedroom and close the door. Well she didn't close the door all the way and when I went home a couple hours ago, my beautiful new E. rufescens was dead in the middle of my bedroom. My family really has a knack for ruining good days. As for the cat, I was so upset (and not thinking clearly) that it was this close to ending up out my door. I've been crying my eyes out and I feel horrible.

Edit: Just a note, I only got the T this afternoon. Not even a chance to enjoy it in my collection.

Last edited:

mikie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was already upset because someone stole my cell phone. When I left my house, I told my sister to put the cat in the bedroom and close the door. Well she didn't close the door all the way and when I went home a couple hours ago, my beautiful new E. rufescens was dead in the middle of my bedroom. My family really has a knack for ruining good days. As for the cat, I was so upset (and not thinking clearly) that it was this close to ending up out my door. I've been crying my eyes out and I feel horrible.
It sad to hear this.:8o

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear for your loss.

How did the T get out? I don't have a cat in my current house, but if I did, I'd be happy with it in this room as all the Ts are in secure boxes out of harms way.

Still, crappy day. *hugs*

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am very sorry about your E. rufescens :( And that someone stole your cell phone :(

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear for your loss.

How did the T get out? I don't have a cat in my current house, but if I did, I'd be happy with it in this room as all the Ts are in secure boxes out of harms way.

Still, crappy day. *hugs*
The cat knocked the deli cup off the table. I hadn't had chance to set it up in an enclosure yet.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really sorry to hear about that. How does your sister feel about it?

kurto

Arachnopeon
So sad to hear. Realy sorry for your loss. Did you know what will make you happy- take new spider or two of them!

But still very sorry :(

SlaytanicArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats a bummer aboot your T. i found the best way to dael with cats is when they screw up once, you take their first 8 lives.;) then you have a cat that is well behaved.{D

IrishKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so sorry to hear about your loss man..i keep my Ts in my room as well,but the cat is NOT ALLOWED in my room at all! i always keep a close eye on "Simba" our cat,but so sorry for your loss,and about your phone...:8o :(

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's easy to blame the cat; but that would be unreasonable. It is the nature of cats to be curious and to be fascinated with bugs in a jar/deli. They are really just raccoons with better P.R. agents. :D
Next time you get a new bug - if you don't have time to rehouse it; then put the deli inside a secure tank until you can. Or ask your parents if you can have a key-lock for your door (and give them a copy of the key. ;) )
I absolutely adore kitties - but choose not to own one due to the number of bugs-in-jars. It sort of seems like a set-up for the cat to cause trouble.

Sorry to hear of your newest loss, Dear. Hope you find your cell, too. :cool:

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol that made me laugh. However she's only nine so I might get in trouble :rolleyes: That cat very nearly got the boot, but I tossed it in the bathroom until I calmed down
You know, this treatment actually does work. I've disciplined my cat with isolation before, and the behavior does actually change. I say "isolation", but she did still get food, water, and attention (I actually went in there and hung out with her), I was just letting her know she couldn't be trusted outside of the bathroom. She was actually very loving towards me after, and what I was attempting to correct was stopped. Cats are interesting... she's never destroyed any inverts, though, thankfully.
Sorry J...

Last edited:

Lucille

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am sorry for your loss. But it doesn't seem like depending on others is always 100%
One day long ago a teenage son of one of my friends was visiting my teenage sons. At that time I had several birds in the living room. He stuck his hand in the cage and got bit. It was a large parrot and the teenager was bleeding and the parrot wasn't too happy either. I bandaged the kid and calmed the parrot.
Later I decided that it was my responsibility to keep kids and critters safe. I turned the middle room into a study/critter room and put a lock on the outside.
We can't always forecast what sisters will do, and surely we can't command cats.
But for me, the lock brings peace of mind. The hasp and lock cost less than $5 so it was cheap peace of mind.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With danger of giving in to the Health and Safety madness that is Britain (Geez, wearing a hard-hat by law so you can climb two steps up a step-ladder to put a satellite dish on the side of a bungalow? The "Hot Apple Pie Is Hot" crap...) it's a good idea, I guess. Or at least put warnings near the enclosure if all you're worried about is curious hands.

Personally, nobody goes into my room (a converted studio with all I need) besides myself, my girlfriend and my parents, all who know to not open the spider tanks, but I still have a paper sign above them warning about it in case somebody has to service the place while I'm out (as I'm in Rented Accomodation).

Prevention over cure.