Happy Dance

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd read about this little phenomenon before I ever saw it. And I definitely didn't believe it until I saw it. But out of curiosity, how many or about what % of your T's do the happy dance after making a kill? Also, what species engage in this behavior? Only one of mine ever does it, and it happens to be my tubby little B vagans. He or she just loves to get on the tip toes and walk around in a rediculous fashion while bouncing up and down webbing the ground. Strangely enough it's the only one in my collection that isn't interested in dumping whatever dirt it can find into its water dish.:rolleyes:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Mainly my brachys do it, my A.genic when she was smaller used to do it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep all my brachys do the jigg....... its fun to watch, part of it is them making the feeding mat, and some part seems like they want to hold the struggling prey as far from the ground as they can to make it easier to kill. They struggle less when they cant use the ground to grip and try and run.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd read about this little phenomenon before I ever saw it. And I definitely didn't believe it until I saw it. But out of curiosity, how many or about what % of your T's do the happy dance after making a kill? Also, what species engage in this behavior? Only one of mine ever does it, and it happens to be my tubby little B vagans. He or she just loves to get on the tip toes and walk around in a rediculous fashion while bouncing up and down webbing the ground. Strangely enough it's the only one in my collection that isn't interested in dumping whatever dirt it can find into its water dish.:rolleyes:
most of my terrestrial/burrowing T's do this.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my b -smithi and my g - rosea all ways do it i think its funny and enjoy their happiness === phil

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. rosea and G. aureostriata do it, but they already have their feeding mats made so I don't think they've been doing it lately.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hm, :? .. am I the only one that has all of their Ts do it? From Grammostola spp. to Ceratogyrus spp. to Heteroscodra maculata.

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All my T's do it also with the exception of my T. blondi.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of mine do it. Two of my P. cancerides do it, my T. apophysis does it, my T. blondi does it, my genic, some of my rosies. The only two I'm pretty sure don't do it are my para and my chromatus, they both eat to fast.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all of my terestrial ones do it. i've even caught my avi. avi doing the dance on a verticle piece of bark :p

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 G. rosea, and neither one does it. granite, one of them i've only had for a day, but whatever...

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've never seen my g.rosea do it, but I never really see her leave her burrow, and I only know she eats because the crix disappear. except for the one time she came flying out her hole after a cricket about to venture inside :)

a.avic usually does it.... she never dissapoints me when I feed her :) she's so vicious, and is always willing to show off.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anybody have a clue why they do it?
It sorta makes sense with my p.cambredgei as she does it on the wall, and often uses her spinerettes to make a cocoon for the crick and then eat it off the wall. That's all she did as a juvie anyway, not so much now.
Not so sure why a G. aureo would need that though...

FlaRe

Arachnopeon
I often observe them put down their meal on the spun silk mat they create after doing the waltz. :razz:

To keep their kill clean probably?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe looking around for predators, or something? then again, their eyes are opn top, so they can prob see all arouind...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe looking around for predators, or something? then again, their eyes are opn top, so they can prob see all arouind...
Most Ts have the worst eyesight ever. They in theory can see huge looming shadows of things like your hand coming at them, but they really rely on feeling vibrations in the air and ground that let them know how big whatevers moving around them is.
You ever feed a T and seemingly before the cricket or whatever your feeding hits the ground its being killed? Thats because in the time that the prey is falling the T is making the determination if its food or not, and if it is food is it small enough that it can kill it. And if it is then its all instinct from there. Dead dead dead. {D
Alll of that happens in a fraction of a second based on air movement by the prey ect ect and its all sinsed by the hairs on the T in the time it takes you to blink.

Avics and Pokies are thought to have the best eyesight of all Ts. Being as they are a bit more active in stalking prey and hunting then a ground dwelling T.