Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Is that how it's written? Is this an official species yet? At any rate, here's my girl, Buttercup.

Bill

Attachments

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Is that how it's written? Is this an official species yet? At any rate, here's my girl, Buttercup.

Bill
I think that is how *longipedum* not aureopilosum and are you sure that you have one? looks more like longipedum to me, nice pic anyway!

James

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by conipto

Bill
Yes to the first question.

No to the second, hence the quotation marks around the "species" name.

Scott

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
I think that is how *longipedum* not aureopilosum and are you sure that you have one? looks more like longipedum to me, nice pic anyway!

James

Actually, longipedum is a little different, based on this picture. This T looks like its legs are a little more "fuzzy", which is not a trait that longipedum has. "Aureopilosum" does seem to have thicker legs, so this might be what you have, Bill. If she is indeed aureopilosum, she will have an orange-ish fringe around her carapace, and, freshly molted, you should be able to see a few orange tinted hairs on her abdomen and legs. I recently read an article that explains in detail the differences between Haplopelma minax and Haplopelma "aureopilosum" (as these two species seem to get mixed up quite frequently).

As for "longipedum", it is rumored that these might be one in the same as Cyriopagopus paganus.

Hope this helps...If you'd like that article, send me a pm tonight and I will send the highlights your way :)

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"

Originally posted by safetypinup
Actually, longipedum is a little different, based on this picture. This T looks like its legs are a little more "fuzzy", which is not a trait that longipedum has. "Aureopilosum" does seem to have thicker legs, so this might be what you have, Bill. If she is indeed aureopilosum, she will have an orange-ish fringe around her carapace, and, freshly molted, you should be able to see a few orange tinted hairs on her abdomen and legs. I recently read an article that explains in detail the differences between Haplopelma minax and Haplopelma "aureopilosum" (as these two species seem to get mixed up quite frequently).

As for "longipedum", it is rumored that these might be one in the same as Cyriopagopus paganus.

Hope this helps...If you'd like that article, send me a pm tonight and I will send the highlights your way :)

Thanks for correcting me safetypinup!

James

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey!

Bill, the Spider on your picture looks very similar to Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum". Please notice the typical orange hairs on the retrolateral side (= outside) of Patella of Leg I. The superficial differences between Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" and Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" (which is indeed named in the US-Petrade as "Cyriopagopus paganus", but has nothing to do with this Species) were also explained here.

Cheers, Volker