Haplopelma minax? Sex?

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm taking care of this at home for a friend, he bought it as a Thailand Black, looks like that's Haplopelma minax, and it sure looks like that's what it is. Besides that, I'm wondering how different males and females of this species look. Yes, I know it's super skinny, just got it eating tonight.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have no clue as to the color differences but one thing is for sure that guy/(most likely girl) is in need of a molt badly. Fatten her up! :D She does not look that skinny actually, Haplopelma are not known to carry a lot of junk in the trunk.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have no clue as to the color differences but one thing is for sure that guy/(most likely girl) is in need of a molt badly. Fatten her up! :D
Yeah, that's what I'm working on, looks like she went through a hell of a trip with all the hair rubbed off.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks to be a female,but it's not a hap.minax(sorry) it could be haplopelma longipes,vonworthie,in minax(ive got 2 females) the females are completly black all over,where as the males are very different,kinda light brown,striped abdomen,very leggy,i had 1 male awell didn't breed with my females:( ,he tried but got killed quickly, but ya gotta nice spider,and yeah she needs to molt soon:worship:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no clue as to the color differences but one thing is for sure that guy/(most likely girl) is in need of a molt badly. Fatten her up! :D She does not look that skinny actually, Haplopelma are not known to carry a lot of junk in the trunk.

How can you tell when a tarantula is " in need of a molt badly"?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks to be a female,but it's not a hap.minax(sorry) it could be haplopelma longipes,vonworthie,in minax(ive got 2 females) the females are completly black all over,where as the males are very different,kinda light brown,striped abdomen,very leggy,i had 1 male awell didn't breed with my females:( ,he tried but got killed quickly, but ya gotta nice spider,and yeah she needs to molt soon:worship:
I don't think it could be H.longipes.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How can you tell when a tarantula is " in need of a molt badly"?
The general condition of a T. In this case there are wear marks from the T rubbing on something both on the legs and the carapace. Those things usually indcate they have not molted in a while.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Until they are mature, its hard to tell gender by just an overall picture of the spider, espesially Asians such as Haplopelma. Looks like a WC specimen. Beautiful picture by the way.:)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Until they are mature, its hard to tell gender by just an overall picture of the spider, espesially Asians such as Haplopelma. Looks like a WC specimen. Beautiful picture by the way.:)
Yes I agree but, with Haplopelma I have had a few males and the carapace size never got as big as the "girl" in this picture. Thats the only reason I would lay down a small bet (very small bet) that its female.

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Juvenile Haplopelma minax

The mature females have that beautiful black velvet look, but the juveniles have the striped fanny look for a while

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I agree but, with Haplopelma I have had a few males and the carapace size never got as big as the "girl" in this picture. Thats the only reason I would lay down a small bet (very small bet) that its female.
Yes, but keep in mind that a picture can be decieving...and this holds even more true in this case becuase this specimen has a rather small abdomen.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wait until it molts and look at some relevant parts

you can probably narrow it to H. minax or H. sp 'Vietnam black'

if you search this forum, in 2004 or so there is a picture of H. minax stridulating organ pic from Volker, compare against that. Spermatheca shape will be useless since 'minax group' (longipes, minax, albostriatum, lividum) all have a rounded simple design.

but H. vonwirthi is very close to minax so like i said you might end up with either minax or vonwirthi

if you think it's longipes compare the molt against the description paper http://www.striffler.net/papers/von...octonus_aureotibialis&Haplopelma_longipes.pdf easy to translate into english using online translator,,,,good to have if you think all of the US hobby Haplo's are confusing.

my pentaxonomy guess? something that's been imported in the us as "Vietnam Black" i THINK that is supposed to be vonwirthi.

oh wait, this is sex me thread,,,try several underneath shots with different light angles if you dont want to wait until it molts.