Haplopelma Minax Question

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are the H. Minax a pet hole the same way the H. Lividum are, or is this a more active species? I really want to get some Haplopelma species and am trying to pick a pretty one that is gonna be around to see once in a while! The minax look awesomely black...

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty much fast, aggresive and hide exept coming out in the dark for a bit.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, that's pretty much it for them,i see mine almost every night,she's always prowling about,but during the day out of sight,and yeah they are awesome black,black as can be,definitly worth having:D aggressive? i think they have got to be the most aggressive.:clap:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes all the haplopelmas need to burrow.but with a flash light at night u can often see them out of there chamber

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My A/F minax i bought last year.. in er..October 2006 and she has never burrowed. She excavated dirt in all 4 corners of her tank but never burrowed. She also refused to use her flower pot hide.. tossing it round her tank and leaving it upside down. I buried it with subby now and she stays in there but every night is out wandering about. She's a nasty cow though lol She's WC i believe and im hoping she is gravid coz she is very fat!
Here's a pic of her when i took the lid off of her tank to feed her lol

This is the most burrowing she did. And she is flying out of it to get me in this pic haha notice her chelicerae are open and ready to plant themselves round my finger :D

And another of her looking pretty :)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Oh also.. i keep Haplopelma albostriatum (I love my Haplopelma's :D) And she is a pet hole. a 4" spider lost in 10" of substrate lol

Shame, coz she's gorgeous.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: excellent,i keep alot of haps aswell,i luv em,everything about them:)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
becky u should get rid of the flowerpot hide and add like 6+ inches of substrate for her.also u can start a premade hole that she will burrow down into

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She has 8" of substrate, and i've started a burrow for her... i have other burrowers too which haven't had a problem.. so i have tried ;) She has ignored everything. She had a cork bark hide and ignored that too, sat infront of it, even with a premade burrow. She's ignored everything i've tried for her....

She's in a tank a bit like this:

This is my Haplopelma albostriatum females tank. She's a 4" leg span and has 10" of subby and she's right at the bottom :D

She too ignored the cork bark and burrowed behind it. I've taken it out now as her burrow was nowhere near it or using it .. bless her :)

So yeah... i don't know whats best for her. I put the flower pot in for her to hide in coz i don't feel she's happy on display constantly. Took her ages to use it but she does now :)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my minax also ignores the corkbark,as w/all of my haps i just use fairly deep substrate/waterdish they all just burrow in the corners pushing the sub to the other sides,they seem content.

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
My minax ignored her flowerpot as well, and over time has excovated a deep burrow underneath her whole tank, and made a nice round wall around its entrance. Nice architecture skills!. 65% of the tank has substrate in it. She does come out at night, and she loves eating cave roaches. She needs fairly humid substrate however, and I almost lost her when I let her cage really dry out.