haplopelma male and female arrived today :D

jb92

Arachnopeon
hi my mature male and mature female haplopelma lividiums arrived today and i cant wait to breed them. im going to leave the female to get a nice burrow on the go and feed her up a bit as she has not long moulted, and then just wait for the male to produce a sperm web before introducing him to her, just wondering if everybody thinks this method is ok? and also after i have removed the male after breeding will he be able to breed again next year?
many thanks
jb

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you done any reading on the "shark tank" method? This will encourage the male to make a sperm web. The male probably won't live another year but he can mate multiple times before dying. Males normally die 6-8 months after their ultimate molt.

jb92

Arachnopeon
okay thankyou, i read something about them moulting after their maturing moult and their sexual organs getting stuck and causing them to die. will have a look at that method now :)
many thanks
jb

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

does he need to make another sperm web before breeding again?
jb

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know. I would try to encourage him to make a sperm web prior to every mating... Just to be sure

jb92

Arachnopeon
ok thankyou very much, shame the males have to die but guess thats nature,
jb

Mez

Arachnoknight
Good luck with the lividum.
I used to go to anglesey all the time camping, beautiful place!

jb92

Arachnopeon
thankyou, will keep you updated on how it goes, just have to wait for her to burrow and the male to get a sperm web on the go, any ideas on how long this takes?
jb