Haplopelma lividum second sack?

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

I just looked in on my female H. lividum and noticed a nice fat eggsack. Unfortunately, I have had ZERO luck finding a male for her this year so the sack is a dud. I'm wondering if I should continue my fruitless search for a male. Has anyone had an H. lividum lay a second eggsack?

Thanks,
G

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Second sacs are not likely but not unheard of........ with most species they have a cycle that is just about a year long...and should they lay a sac, after the sac hatches out they are not far from eating and storing for the upcoming molt and the cycle starts all over again.......... so while now trying to find a mate might not produce anything her making a false sac means you have her in a perfect setup. Congrats.

Keep searching for a male maybe a recently mature or penultimate and wait till your girl molts...... let her harden up some and feed her well then try mating her about 6-8 weeks after that upcoming molt.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the information. I suppose I'll be on the look out for a male to buy now. I don't want to shortchange someone on a loan if it isn't likely that she'll lay a second sack. Below is a photo of her fat sack. Maybe next year. :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait one more thing....... how long have you had her? Thats important because big females are still often sold as WC and if that is the case you might have a live sac on your hands.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had her for awhile now and she has molted in my care. She has definitely not been near a male since that molt. Here is a photo of her.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ahh ok just checking..... then for sure its just a dud sac...... good luck with the male hunt... if you fine one let me know cause I have a few females that would love to meet a suiter too.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
did u open the sac?if u can will u pls post a pic of the eggs inside thanks

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I haven't pulled the sack yet. Her burrow is very long with a long bend. I'll try to dig it out this weekend. I'll take some photos when I do pull the sack.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I pulled the sack while she was sitting outside her burrow the other night. Here is the ill fated sack.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep looks like a dud........ weird how they do that. But as mentioned this just means you are keeping her in conditions that she loves.