Haplopelma lividum price ?

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
What is a decent price for an approximately 2 inch unsexed specimen???

There's one available locally, but being house on BARK, and I am deciding whether or not, I should rescue it. I don't have ANY OW specimens, and thought that one that I could house like my Aphonopelmas, might ne a good place to begin.

Also, is there anything specifically that I should be looking out for, when purveying a specimen that HAS been housed exclusively on bark? (well maybe not exclusively, but since it has been at this store, it has.)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does it come with anything?

$10-$20 would be a fair price...but since it seems from your post it is at a store $20-$40 is probably what they will be looking to get for it.

As far as what to look for, make sure the opisthosoma (abdomen) is full and plump and that all the legs in good shape. Make sure it walks without difficulty...and that is about it. Tarantulas are great at hiding injury. As long as the as it looks hydrated and well fed it should be fine.

EDIT:

Also keep in mind you aren't paying for shipping, which would run an additional $10-$30...

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
$25 give or take. Unless it is a retail pet store which would be about$40+ all depends really.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
MANY Thanks everyone. I will hopefully be able to pick it up this weekend, and if the opportunity permits itself, will try and negotiate a fair ($25ish) price out of him.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I just called, and the Store owner is asking $50. He did say however, that he's willing to work a deal with me, so keep your fingers crossed for me. I might be the proud new owner of a Cobalt Blue pretty soon!:)

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a 3" lividum for $30, gender was unknown when I bought it but when I got it home I determined it was female. I'm very happy with mine...

k2power

Arachnoknight
Damaged legs are not necessarily a deal breaker. I got a Hysterocrates gigas for 35 at a LPS with 2 gimpy legs. It was a great feeder, molted (and got much much larger), basically regrew the gimpy legs and is still an excellent feeder. Finally burrowed down as well. Happy with my purchase of a then "defective" spider.

byrd720

Arachnopeon
I got a pretty decent deal when I bought mine. :cool: I paid $10 for a 2" at a local reptile shop.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I rescued one about a month and a half ago from an LPS. About 3 inch leg span and was in just the most deplorable conditions. About a half inch of some sort of wood-chip substrate and no water dish. It took about two trips to the LPS and seeing it all hunched up in a corner to convince me to rescue it. Got it for $50.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An LPS that has notoriously shoddy prices has a couple that are 2-3" for 69.99 and 59.99, one labeled female, the other supposedly unsexed.

I BALKED at those prices; considering that I've seen them go for around $30 at that size.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ yup same boat here. but thats also a place that charges 40 for an A. avic, and 100 for a 3 inch L. parahybana.:wall:

Cheapest I have come across was 15 bucks for a full grown adult female. but she was in a death curl....maybe already dead. who knows. they had her on sand..with water gel crystals!:mad:

If it wasnt for the hefty price tag, I may already own one. most the time even dealers seem to sell them at a "higher than Id pay for a pet hole price."

not to mention, I would want a sling...and I never see those around.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I rescued one about a month and a half ago from an LPS. About 3 inch leg span and was in just the most deplorable conditions. About a half inch of some sort of wood-chip substrate and no water dish. It took about two trips to the LPS and seeing it all hunched up in a corner to convince me to rescue it. Got it for $50.

I'm in this EXACT same boat. I couldn't have described my current situation, any dirfferently than this. From the "curled up in a corner", right down to the "1/2 inch of BARK, and no water dish" part of the details even...

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm in this EXACT same boat. I couldn't have described my current situation, any dirfferently than this. From the "curled up in a corner", right down to the "1/2 inch of BARK, and no water dish" part of the details even...
The worst part is when I pointed out that this particular species needs to burrow in deep substrate, the clerk's logic for having him in the conditions he was in was "every time we get a cobalt blue (he didn't even know the latin name) we only have them for like 2 weeks before we sell them". I gave him a deadpan stare and left with the spider in tow. So the lividum needs to go through 2 weeks of hell before hopefully being sold? I can't follow that logic.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
The worst part is when I pointed out that this particular species needs to burrow in deep substrate, the clerk's logic for having him in the conditions he was in was "every time we get a cobalt blue (he didn't even know the latin name) we only have them for like 2 weeks before we sell them". I gave him a deadpan stare and left with the spider in tow. So the lividum needs to go through 2 weeks of hell before hopefully being sold? I can't follow that logic.

I could not agree more!

However, in defense of the store owner, his #1 focus, is on Extremely High End aquatics, from Saltwater's finest, right down to Freshwater Stingrays! He's an admitted complete novice, in the world of Inverts. I will enlighten him, as time goes on, but seeing as how everything is still under construction, I'm sure the LASt thing he needs right now, is some know-it-all like trying to tell him how to do this and that, when he really is trying to broaden the spectrum of what's truly available here in Reno NV. In the near future, I hope to be able to lead by example, and help him get squared away, on how, and what environment to keep his Inverts in, and overall, am EXTREMELY thankful, that we FINALLY (after at least a 15 year VOID), have a new Invert/Reptile & Fish store in town that ISN'T a PetCo, or Petsmart...

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I got a cb sling from a breeder here in Switzerland for 7 bucks. Eats and molts like a champ. Has a deep burrow already.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

In addition, I kinda understand why petshops do this. When I got mine, it was basically some dirt in a plastic container with a hole in the middle. Try selling that in a petshop. Of course this excuse does not make the animal cruelty OK.