Haplopelma lividum "emerald green" for Beginner?

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone. I want to know if it is okay for someone who is a beginner to get an H. lividum. I wouldn't be holding it, it would be a display pet. I have never had a tarantula, however i have other pets, and have experience with other fast animals and tarantulas. I've been doing research for a very long time. i just recently got an arachhnoboards account though, so i am reaching out to this community. i think it would be a good beginner old world for me because it would stay in its burrow all the time, so if i where to open the top to feed it, it would not be able to bolt out like an arboreal or terrestrial would. also, i would get a juvenile or adult, so i wouldn't have to rehouse it. also i have lost track of if it is an H. lividum, H. lividus, C. lividum, or C. lividus, so if anyone can help on that aspect, that would also be apreciated. another thing, if anyone knows of a place selling H. lividum "emerald green", feel free to tell me

cold blood

Staff member
I want to know if it is okay for someone who is a beginner to get an H. lividum.
No, absolutely not...horrible choice...in fact if I were top make a list of the top 10 worst beginner ts, this one would make the list...advanced species.
I wouldn't be holding it
Good, because it would send you to the ER.....these things are crazy fast, too...and they don't always react as one might suspect.
it would be a display pet.
No it wouldn't. A display t is one that you can see. Just set up an empty aquarium, drill a hole in the sub and pretend you have one...cause that's what you see most of the time.

There are hundreds of better choices, many just as, or more beautiful and enjoyable to own and easier to learn from.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My vote is no. Even if you got an adult so that you'd never need to rehouse it, cage maintenance is still a thing, and if anything were to go wrong in the enclosure requiring you to move it out, then what? What if it gets ill or is having a bad molt and needs assisted? You won't have the experience to know how to deal with that, and with a species known for it's defensiveness and unforgiving bite, its just really not a good place to start. It'll also be a pet hole you'll never get to see.

If you want a "fast track" that'd leave you prepared if you're a quick learner, you could go GBB (fast hardy NW known to be skittish but forgiving of beginner mistakes) -> Psalmopoeus sp. (NW arboreals that are fast and known to have an attitude to rival Poecis, venom more potent than other NWs but far more forgiving than an OW) -> Ceratogyrus sp. (Great intro to OWs, heavy webbing burrowers with species that grow horns!) -> C. lividus. All of the previous Ts are also fast growers and are fantastic to keep in general.

Why rush past so many amazing Ts and try jumping into the deep end before learning to swim? Not to discourage you, but there are way too many unknowns and potential scenarios that just make getting a C. lividus a bad fit for a beginner. That's my 2 cents on it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No,poor choice for all the reasons mentioned above. If you want to keep a blue tarantula that is a bit more beginner oriented look into P.sazamai..

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hello everyone. I want to know if it is okay for someone who is a beginner to get an H. lividum. I wouldn't be holding it, it would be a display pet. I have never had a tarantula, however i have other pets, and have experience with other fast animals and tarantulas. I've been doing research for a very long time. i just recently got an arachhnoboards account though, so i am reaching out to this community.
I wouldn't recommend Cyriopagopus lividus (that's the current name) or any other Old World tarantula as a first tarantula, even if you don't intend to handle it.

Doing research is commendable, but research is not always a substitute for firsthand experience. We all make beginner's errors when we are new, and it's best to make those errors with hardy species that are slower, less defensive, and less venomous. Starting with the beginner-friendly species allows you to master the basics of care (especially rehousing) and develop good habits with species that are more forgiving.

Additionally, for prospective keepers, I think it is a good idea to verify that your interest in keeping tarantulas is long-term before getting into the hot species. If you decide you no longer want tarantulas in a month or two, it is a lot easier to responsibly rehome a Grammostola pulchripes than a Cyriopagopus lividus.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Thank you all for responding so quickly. I will listen to your advise. If I where to get a GBB, could it be handilable. I've heard about 50/50 that they are and are not. I have also been considering the Eauthlus sp. red and the Paraphysa scrofa. I have heard they are pretty much the slowest growing species in the hobby, so i would want a juvenile. does anyone have input on these? thanks

cold blood

Staff member
Most of us would advise against handling any t...they are more like fish to us...observational pets...and things can go wrong...no benefit to the t, but a host of potential problems...in fact a fish would be better to hold honestly.

That said, your choice ultimately...GBBs are skittish, so I wouldn't recommend them for holding...but P. scrofa would be a good one for sure. They don't grow all that slowly either like the Eauthlus, and also have a much better feeding response as well....scrofa is an under-rated beginner t for sure and would be a solid choice.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thank you all for responding so quickly. I will listen to your advise. If I where to get a GBB, could it be handilable. I've heard about 50/50 that they are and are not.
I wouldn't recommend handling a GBB. It's not particularly defensive or highly venomous, but it is skittish. It may very well bolt in response to being handled. (Additionally, many people have reported that their GBBs are prone to flicking hairs, although mine has never flicked hairs.)

I have also been considering the Eauthlus sp. red and the Paraphysa scrofa. I have heard they are pretty much the slowest growing species in the hobby, so i would want a juvenile. does anyone have input on these? thanks
While I am not a fan of handling any species (it does not benefit the tarantula but subjects the tarantula to risk of injury or escape), if you were specifically looking for one that has a suitable temperament for occasional handling, Euathlus sp. "red" would be a good choice. They have a reputation for being docile and even inquisitive.

Keep in mind that it's always possible to end up with an individual whose temperament is atypical for the species, and temperament can change over time (especially after molting). Even a seemingly docile tarantula is still a wild animal that can behave in unexpected ways.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
ok thanks for the input. i would not hold the tarantula on a daily basis or anything because of the whole falling and rupturing abdomen thing. again, thanks for the input. does anyone know where i could track down a Paraphsya scrofa or Euathlus sp red juveniles?

edit: does anyone know anything about Aphonopelma mooreae? ive just seen pictures and there gorgeous. they look like a GBB. and ive heard that Aphonopelma are generally calm (except for the A. moderatum)

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
ok thanks for the input. i would not hold the tarantula on a daily basis or anything because of the whole falling and rupturing abdomen thing. again, thanks for the input. does anyone know where i could track down a Paraphsya scrofa or Euathlus sp red juveniles?

edit: does anyone know anything about Aphonopelma mooreae? ive just seen pictures and there gorgeous. they look like a GBB. and ive heard that Aphonopelma are generally calm (except for the A. moderatum)
I don't believe A. mooreae is in the hobby yet.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon

Expos are usually a good place to start looking for E. sp red or P. scrofa if there are any in your area.

If you're gonna handle it do it safely and low to the ground over a pillow or mattress or something else soft, this will help reduce the danger of a fall when compared to a fall onto the floorboards from standing height.

Of course if I were you Id definitely get the C. lividus once I'd gotten a good grasp on how to manage fast and defensive spiders

matypants

Arachnopeon

net-bug..... Euathlus sp. 'Red' 1/4" slings (reputable breeder)

Keep in mind that should it grow up to be female it will then live a good number of years. This can be a good or bad thing depending on the wants of the keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Euathlus sp. 'Red' 1/4" slings
thank you. however netbub is on the other side of the country so shipping is expensive and i might get a DOA. also i would want one that is a juvenile because of how long they spend in their fragile sling phase, and there overall painfully slow growth

(dont mean to be rude, if that sounds rude im sorry)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
thank you. however netgub is on the other side of the country so shipping is expensive and i might get a DOA. also i would want one that is a juvenile because of how long they spend in their fragile sling phase, and there overall painfully slow growth

Distance means little...2 day shipping is 2 days in shipping whether it comes from across your state or across the country....same for overnight.

Check with @Blue Jaye , she may still have some P. scrofa....she's in Vegas, so your "fears" will be alleviated. Scrofa grow at a better pace.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
thank you. however netgub is on the other side of the country so shipping is expensive and i might get a DOA. also i would want one that is a juvenile because of how long they spend in their fragile sling phase, and there overall painfully slow growth

Where in California are you? Because Repticon will be in Costa Mesa this weekend. I see Euathlus sp. red adult females fairly regularly at expos, especially if you get to go on the first day.

I’m another vote against handling, btw. I’ve seen, firsthand, what can happen. Not fun at all! If you’re going to do it, I would suggest sitting on the floor in a wide open space, and planting your hand flat on the ground.

GBB is an excellent first choice. They are beautiful spiders that steal the show among most collections. They are usually on display, they web a ton, and are super hardy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cas S

Arachnoknight
however much i want to go to repticon, i dont think i can. i dont want to give my location out, but its far from where i am.