Haplopelma lividum "emerald green" for Beginner?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Definitely one of the Ts that require a good level of experience, they're a very defensive species.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
ok thanks for the input. i would not hold the tarantula on a daily basis or anything because of the whole falling and rupturing abdomen thing. again, thanks for the input. does anyone know where i could track down a Paraphsya scrofa or Euathlus sp red juveniles?
Check out our Classifieds section. You'll find lots of spiders for sale by businesses and hobbyists. (You can't post replies in the Classifieds section. Contact the seller by sending a private message or using whatever contact method is specified in the thread or on the reviews page.)

If you are looking for a particular species, search Classifieds for the scientific name. The genus name is often abbreviated to the first initial, so if you are not finding results with the binomial, such as Phrixotrichus scrofa (formerly Paraphysa scrofa), try just the species name, such as scrofa. (Be aware that there are some species that share the same species name but belong to different genera, so check the genus before ordering.)

Whether you're buying from someone here or another Web site, you should read reviews here before ordering. (When you're reading a classified ad, you can quickly find the seller's review page by clicking the user name and then clicking "Reviews & Reports Page.") Don't forget to post a review after the transaction is complete.

Google is another way to find red flags, but I would disregard positive reviews on any site where the company being reviewed has editorial control (for example, on the company's Web site or on a Facebook page owned or moderated by the company).

Note: Many people recommend against buying spiders from stores that primarily deal in reptiles, as they often don't know what they are doing, and it's anyone's guess whether you will receive the species and gender you ordered.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
thank you ungoliant. someone actually just contacted me who has a 1" female P. scrofa. also, I maaaaay be going to repticon. so if anyone knows some good breeders that are going there?

(Be aware that there are some species that share the same species name but belong to different genera, so check the genus before ordering.)
oh god imagine spending $100 on an H. pulchripes and getting a G. pulchripes lol

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Repticon Vendor List

Amazing Reptiles 4 U
Cricket Crack
Dark Cloud Reptiles
Dart Frog Connection
El Segundo Pythons
FeederSource.com
Get Planted
Jason Haygood Photography
JM Cages and Reptiles
LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc.
Middle Earth Reptiles
Millipedes And More
MistKing / Jungle Hobbies Ltd
OC Balls
Pokeys Geckos
Project Reptile
Real Nature GIfts
Reptile Ave
Reptile Emporium Acrylic Displays
Reptile Factory
Reptile Rescue Orange County
Rockabirdie Reptiles
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp./ Exo Terra
Sensational Pets
So Cal Herpetology Assn. & Rescue
Sunland Breeders
Sweet Earth Art
The Bug Plug
The Reef and Reptile Company
Tortoise Supply
Unbelievaballs
Waterlandtubs
West Coast Chameleon Brothers
ZooMed

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
i think it would be a good beginner old world for me because it would stay in its burrow all the time, so if i where to open the top to feed it, it would not be able to bolt out like an arboreal or terrestrial would.
I know what you mean, but not always they are and/or will remain 24/7 X 365 'down under'. Check this, she's eating a B.dubia just outside the burrow.

With that said, she didn't tried to bolt out or something - but a not full settled (read burrow) C.lividus can.

Sequence. Burrow sealed v

C.lividus 2.jpg

After a couple of time, this. Prey hunted v

C.lividus 1.jpg

Prey neutralized - lovely little B.dubia blood dot - v

C. lividus 4.jpg

Down to burrow again.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think most of what needs to be said has been said and the advice people have given is good. However, I think the pet-hole thing is a bit of an over-exageration. I keep a bunch of obligate burrowers, including two H. lividum, and I see them every few days at least. If they are not about to molt that is. It is true that you will not see them much during the day, but after the lights are out they usually hang out at or around their burrow entrance. Use a flashlight, don't make to many vibrations, and you can watch them easily. I think burrowing species get an unnecessarily bad reputation.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I think most of what needs to be said has been said and the advice people have given is good. However, I think the pet-hole thing is a bit of an over-exageration. I keep a bunch of obligate burrowers, including two H. lividum, and I see them every few days at least. If they are not about to molt that is. It is true that you will not see them much during the day, but after the lights are out they usually hang out at or around their burrow entrance. Use a flashlight, don't make to many vibrations, and you can watch them easily. I think burrowing species get an unnecessarily bad reputation.
I couldnt agree more with your post. I too keep more obligated burrowers more than anything and i see mine all the time too. Mostly at night at burrow enterance or in the actual tunel system thats closest to the enclosure wall like pictured. I think obligated burrows are the coolest thing since sliced bread and is all i plan on buying in future. Well said in your post bro, take it easy.

I couldnt agree more with your post. I too keep more obligated burrowers more than anything and i see mine all the time too. Mostly at night at burrow enterance or in the actual tunel system thats closest to the enclosure wall like pictured. I think obligated burrows are the coolest thing since sliced bread and is all i plan on buying in future. Well said in your post bro, take it easy.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Not sure what you mean...obligate burrowers are very popular with a lot of people here....they get plenty of love.
I agree that people like them, I mean C. lividus is pretty popular, and so is M. balfouri. But I do think that most people tend to stay away from them because they think they'll never see them.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree that people like them, I mean C. lividus is pretty popular, and so is M. balfouri. But I do think that most people tend to stay away from them because they think they'll never see them.
Yeah, its not that you never see them, you just tend to see them less than others, often a lot less. One of the reasons I tend to sway new keepers from them is simply because new keepers want to see their new ts and one that's not visible as often, can not only be a source of frustration, but its also very hard to learn from something you see a lot less of. But yeah, in time, everyone should own obligate burrowers, they're very special ts for sure.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
If you want an H lividium as your 1st T I say go for it. Just don’t mess with it, leave it alone. You most likely won’t see it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure what you mean...obligate burrowers are very popular with a lot of people here....they get plenty of love.
You wrote something along the lines of digging a hole in the substrate in an otherwise empty tank. I might have taken it overly serious. I really like my burrowing species and I think it is safe to say that I do see them more often than many of my arboreals :)

Malo

Arachnopeon
I've been doing research for a very long time.
As someone who is new to the hobby and has been doing research for a "long time", I'm really not sure how you could possibly come to your choice. There's a lot of resources and videos out there with info on great beginner species and they're often very close to each other in species, at minimum with preferred genus. Most commonly choosing a species from the Grammostola or Brachypelma genus, but never is an Old World recommended.