Haplopelma lividum confusion...

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Ok so my roommates and I are well into the hobby now with 21 T's of various species. I am the proud owner of a female Cobalt and am confused as to why she will not burrow, eat, or pretty much move around at all (except when provoked then she goes insane). The room the collection is in stays between 70-75 degrees pretty consistently. I spray the cage every one or two days to keep the humidity up, but avoid spraying her directly. The guy we got her from said he honestly has never seen her eat in over a year... Is she sick or in some sort of a pre-molt phase? I would rather have a healthy pet hole than a stressed cobalt blue without a naturally built home. Any information on how to really care for this species would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
how long ago did you get her? if only recently, they sometimes take a little while to burrow. sometimes even up to a month. that's what mine is doing right now. just don't stress it and leave it up to it's own- it'll settle in after awhile.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if she didn't burrow or eat in a year, than something must be wrong with her. that could be stress, or the wrong sort of substrate for burrowing. if she has been like this for a year (did she only fast with her previous owner or did she also refuse to burrow?), i think it unlikely to be an illness. every t illness i have encountered so far kills its victim in less than a year. but i may be wrong on this point.

do you have a pic? how small is her abdomen and is it shrinking any further? and did you try prestarting a burrow for her? just dig a small whole 3" deep and shade the entrance with an artificial plant or pot or something. maybe she just needs encouragement, it worked for a friend of mine.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Often giving them a prestarted burrow will encourage them.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Often giving them a prestarted burrow will encourage them.
thats what i had to do with mine. and it didnt take much. i just dug down about an inch and 2 days later she had a very nice, deep, elaborate burrow.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, the H. Lividum looks nice and fat (I am the roomate).....the guy we bought her from said he has never SEEN her eat, but the crickets disappear after a day or so. IMO, she looks like she's in good shape, but since being moved into her new, bigger, better cage, she just sits in the same spot out in the open.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a WC female who WILL NOT burrow either. But she will readily take to a premade burrow of any size. My advice, just dig a hole to the bottom of the tank and don't be surprised if in the morning, she is at the bottom of it.

I have heard reports of cobalts going a month or two before burrowing while some(like my little one burrows in 1 night).

Matt

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Update!

OK So this morning I roll out of bed and go check on all the T's and sure enough the old Cobalt Blue is on her back, At first I thought she was dead but Lindsay said shes molting. So I guess her not digging/eating/inactivity was all just pre-molt stuff. Im gonna take a series of pictures of her molt. How long you guys think this should take her?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If its a big girl then you might be in for a bit of a wait......... whats her size, that will help a bit.

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Well Im not ever planning on getting close enough to her to get an exact measurement but from what I can guestimate I would say from the back left leg to the right front she is roughly 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches...Cant wait to see how big she is/ what she looks like after the molt!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you have no way of knowing when she flipped over, she may have done it 5 minutes after you went to bed last night, so anywhere from now to 4 hours. Who knows..... but when she pops her top things should pick up speed thats for sure.
Make sure you post more pics when you have the chance!

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Absolutely! This kinda sucks, I know this is normal but I cant help to think the poor girl is dieing just because of the way spiders flip on their back like that to molt. I hope shes done when I get back from class at around 5:30pm

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Better it moulted in the open then in a burrow without a chamber with enought room to moult, iv seen spiders do this even when using a pre made burrow.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let her moult and she'll be OK.

Bury a log hide halfway in her tank after she's done, and she'll start to burrow.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mot that is matters with mine, but that substrate seams a little dry for a humid lovind T. like the cobalt blue. Maybe spray it up, dig a nice premade burrow and wake up with a pet hole :)

Silence1984

Arachnopeon
Ok just sprayed the cage quite a bit but then she started freaking out...Im gonna leave her be for a few days =)

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gorgeous T. My H.lividum didn't make it when it tryed to molt awhile back. It was pretty sad. :(