Haplopelma Lividium

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Just a thought..

Originally posted by Unregistered
No, there isn't much worry about them falling down. And it would be fairly easy to make the "haplopelma tanks" ourselves, but we're too lazy. (or at least I am ;) )
I feel like an idiot, I forgot to sign that post in. (The quote is mine) :8o

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Martin, thanks for the info.......I usually drill 3/16" holes for ventilation but some plastics will crack and or break. I will have to purchase a soldering iron and try that out.
Ed

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Galeogirl,

Let me know if you find similar containers. All I've been able to locate so far are opaque cereal storage containers.

Botar
Botar,

You can find 1 gallon containers and larger at Wal Mart for $3 and up (or less depending on the size you need).
I believe they are in the housewares section on the top shelf where the plastic rubbermaid shoeboxes are.
Hope that helps,

Paul

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just found that topic and got a nice idea. Guess everybody knows that H. lividum IS a burrower. The idea from Martin Huber i regard as very good. But i give my Ts more space to live, even if they may not need it. What you can do is filling in the tank with subrate after putting in one of those long an small clown and trick balloons. Its is possible to form the "cave" the way you want, for example on the front side, so you can see inside. You put the subsrate over it and press it a bit. When you are finished you sting into the ballon with a needle and destroy it.
I found two pics in the Internet to explain :)

Attachments

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as far as those containers go, here in canada, well, at least where i live, we have a store called "storage works" which specializes in things like those. Containers to stay oganized, of all shapes and sizes, as well as colors and opacities. Im sure there is an American Equivilant of storage works somewhere.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been looking all over and have not been able to find decent sized tubbaware or storage containers that are clear enough. All I can find is the same dadgum foggy crap...hehe. I dun like it a beet! Oh well, back to the drawing board. BTW, good idea Pyrdacor. If I had the lungs to blow one of those things up I'd certainly give it a try!

Marcus

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sweet!

with my h.lividum i did the following:

1) glass tank, fill with peat+vermiculite mix
2) in the corner, dig 5cm tunnel, then put half a plant pot over this
3) cover the entire tank at this corner with thick, black card
4) insert spider
5) after a week she adopted the burrow, then a week later dug deeper and around
6) remove card to see

as it happens she has an egg sac now and has sealed the whole burrow.

once the egg hatches im moving her to a smaller tank though

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

so anyone find containers like the ones martin has, and if you have please share:)

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Just a thought..

Originally posted by conipto
I'm not ready to be housing Halpopelma and the like quite yet, but with a burrow that deep and straight, do you worry about them falling down it at all?

Bill
You know, Bill, I tried doing that when I replaced the substrate in my seemanni's tank and she did fall into it. I freaked, and she wasn't too happy, either. I had to try and get her out, and she was all bitey (which was the first time she was ever defensive at all).

After that I took her out, and buried half a flowerpot and dug it out like a cave. That works out better, actually, because now she has this massive cave that I can watch her in. Pics soon, hopefully.

N.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
Botar,

I'll let you know. I went out looking the other day but didn't find anything that I quite liked. I'm going to try a few other stores out next week. I'd love to see what my Usambar and my Haplopelmas would do in those containers.
Check the quart size containter here:
http://www.spicebarn.com/spice_jars_labels.htm

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hi,

Richard Gallon published his Revision about the Genus Pterinochilus and Eucratoscelus before some Weeks ago. The Reference is:
Gallon, R. (2002): Revision of the african genera Pterinochilus and Eucratoscelus (Aranea, Theraphosidae, Harpactirinae) with description of two new genera. Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc. 12, (5): 201 - 232

Within this Revision, Richard synonymised Pterinochilus mamillatus with Pterinochilus murinus.My "special" friend Dr. Schmidt "identified" the "usambara" as belonging to the Species Pterinochilus mamillatus, a species which was described by the german arachnologist Embrik Strand in 1906. Unfortunately the Holotype of this Species was destroyed during the second world war,so we only have the very bad original description.For Schmidt, this original description was so good :-(, that he recognised the "usambara" as being a member of the Pterinochlius mamillatus Species.Now, Richard compared the "usambara" with the Holotype-Material of Pt. murinus for his Revision and he only recognised differences within the coloration of both form.The logical consequence was to synonymise both "Species".
BTW, I haven't heard of any breeding experiments between both color-types!

Cheers, Volker
I had actually heard this, so couldn't wait to put my male "usambara" in with my female "mombassa." So far, nothing, she ignores him and he scurries back to his burrow. But, I'm going to keep trying. I always thought they were EXACTLY the same except for the color. The markings, and I have studied them endlessly, are nearly exact!

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i love this thread! now if i could only find some containers like those or similar, i have searched for 3 days once online , i even checked rotho.com but its a german company:(, Has anyone here had any lucK?????? i am considering a way to just build my own haplopelma tanks, suggestions on materials and construction? i was thinking of building the frame then using acrylic or plexiglass, who knows any help appreciated--Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

thanks, i never even notice lol even though i skim through this thread all the time, heh guess i should have read closer, i'll check that link out , thanks--Jeff

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

thanks for the link, but i think those are to small for adults:), i did find tupperware cereal storers, h x 11 .5" w x 5-6" l x 11" but alas again they are not clear enough...maybe i can improvise them somewhat

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
After reading this thread, I just HAD to go home and try it! Stopped at "Super 99¢ Store" and found 5 clear round plastic containers, 8" tall and 6" wide with screw on tops. Whipped out my handy Dremel and drilled ventilation holes, packed it with substrate and put my "toughest customer" in it. My H. lividium took 5 months to burrow after I got her. Same substrate, same height, she was just stubborn. I put her in the new vertical enclosure last night, and by this morning, she has webbed it to her liking, pulling the little silk leaves around the top, and was snug as a bug in her new burrow!

Tonight, the rest of my obligate burrowers go into THEIR new homes, thus making enclosures available for MORE NEW Ts!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks guys!:D

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

well i recently asked a guy who builds tanks for a living(Paul august) if he could build me the haplopelma tanks, he will build them to the exact measurements , but not with metal lids he'll use all acrylic construction, they are 35.00 ea. plus shipping, or 10 for 35.00 ea. w/free shipping, pretty cool....wonder how uch it would cost to just build them myself, though 35 is'nt all that bad at all.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

one of my Haplopelma-tanks (25 x 10 x 35 cm) inhabited by an Haplopelma schmidti female:

all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

and the modified cereal-storage-container version for the smaller species like Haplopelma lividum:

all the best,
Martin

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOVE this thread guys! Also, I have a few Q's :

Are cedar shavings bad for t's? My Usambara wouldn't burrow and generally sat atop the substrate looking po'd. I put some cedar shavings in there to see what it would do with them and by the next morning he/she made an above ground burrow... looks like a hobbithole :) Web and cedar shavings then threw substrate over top of all of that. retty industrious! ALSO, it had made a kind of hammock in one corner that at night (if I sneak in here and leave the light off) It's sitting in that hammock with it's legs hanging down... do any of yours do this and ifso, what's the purpose if any?

My T is small, orange and MEAN.... so I am guessing this is the Usambara and not the Mombassa because of the size? It was labeled Usambara and the pothers were labeled Mombassa Starburst. I chose this one because it was vibrantly orange.