Haplopelma Lividium

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sansoucie said:
I have a few Q's :

Are cedar shavings bad for t's? .
YES, THEY ARE. The natural oils in cedars and other pines are poisonous for your T.

Just do a quick search for "cedar" and you'll see.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mannn, now I have to stick my hand in that enclosure??
light a candle for me, I'm goin in.... :(

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That wasn't as bad as I thought! He/she is in it's new nome and checking it out.

MizM said:

I had actually heard this, so couldn't wait to put my male "usambara" in with my female "mombassa." So far, nothing, she ignores him and he scurries back to his burrow. But, I'm going to keep trying. I always thought they were EXACTLY the same except for the color. The markings, and I have studied them endlessly, are nearly exact!

Do you have a pic of them together? I'd like to see the difference in color. :)

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi martin,

apart from your twice yearly dipping of the t's container in the bath, do you do any additional watering to maintain humiditiy? or was the 2 times in the bath sufficient?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi ahkiu,
ahkiu said:
apart from your twice yearly dipping of the t's container in the bath, do you do any additional watering to maintain humiditiy? or was the 2 times in the bath sufficient?
that's sufficent (depending on the lid [how many holes], the volumen of the tanks [= smaller volume and you might have two watering them three times a year] and the relative air humidity in the area where you live).

BTW, a more detailed description how I keep my Haplopelma species and other burrowers you'll find in these articles:
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2002): Einige Praxis-Tipps zur Haltung von Haplopelma Arten und anderen Röhren bewohnenden Vogelspinnen. DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 14-23.
    (BTW, a translated version of this article about keeping Haplopelma- and other burrowing-species will be printed in the August issue of the BTS Journal)
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2003): Earth Tigers – die asiatischen Vogelspinnen der Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae. DRACO 4(16): 26-36.
all the best,
Martin

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
AlbinoDragon829 said:
Hey, I've been into arachnoculture for a fair amount of time now and I'm finally getting around to more evil species of tarantula. Soon, I will be purchasing a haplopelma lividium (cobalt blue) and I hear it is a massive burrower. Don't get me wrong, but I do want the T to have almost an exact replica of it's natural habitat... But I would like to see it more often than most people say cobalt blue's come into vision... I mean, come on, they are a very good looking species. But to get to my question, what kind of a burrow should I set up, or what else should I do that would benefit my viewing of the T and it's living both? :?
There are no evil species of tarantula

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin: In post #78.... I am wondering, with so much substrate above the T... do you ever worry about a collapse? Seems that the heavy substrate would crush the T?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
Martin: In post #78.... I am wondering, with so much substrate above the T... do you ever worry about a collapse? Seems that the heavy substrate would crush the T?
that never happend to me respectively to any of my theraphosids so far.

all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Martin H. said:
BTW, a translated version of this article about keeping Haplopelma- and other burrowing-species will be printed in the August issue of the BTS Journal
finally it's available now:
  • VON WIRTH, V. & M. HUBER (2004): Housing specimens of Haplopelma and other tube-dwelling tarantulas. British Tarantula Society Journal 19(4): 107-113.
Those who don't know the British Tarantula Society yet: >>click here<<

all the best,
Martin

JimBaskey

Arachnopeon
Wow, great pics, Martin. I really like your setup idea. Just wondering, where can you buy those containers you have?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Jim,

JimBaskey said:
Wow, great pics, Martin. I really like your setup idea. Just wondering, where can you buy those containers you have?
the cereal storage containers are bought in the supermarket, the glass tanks are custom made.

...just got a new bunch of these tanks today. =:)

all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

some tanks for the smaller species (like H. lividum & Co.): 10 cm x 25 cm and 30 cm high

all the best,
Martin

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok so they are custom made... by who, how do i get some, how much?
also can i get them sent to england?:confused: