Haplopelma lividium question

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Last weekend I finally got a Haplopelma lividium! This is my first Asian tarantula. I've currently got her in the Pet Pal from the Pet Shop, but plan on moving her to an aquarium this evening. My question is concerning substrate. For my other tarantulas, I use 100% Peat Moss as the substrate. For my spiderlings (2" and below) I use a 60/40 Peat/Vermiculite substrate to help retain additional moisture. What would you recommend for my Cobalt Blue? I was leaning toward the same mixture as I use for my spiderlings because I've read the lividium needs a bit higher humidity, but I don't want to over do it. Any advice would be appreciated. (By the way, she is about 4" and definately female)

Also on another note: Since I got her on Sunday, she has eaten 1 cricket every night and has been under her cork bark almost the entire time. This morning when I went in, I found her out beside the cork bark and am concerned that she is okay. She's not curled up, but is sitting very still out in the open. I know this is not a lot to go on, but I wasn't thinking I would ever really get to see her out in the open. Do any of yours make themselves visible? Should I be concerned? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ralph

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My limited experience with Haplopelma says that they will often curl up like that if out in the open, and be ok. It needs a burrow. I'd go with a little less verm heavy mix than you would use for your spiderlings.

Bill

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
My Cobalt did the same when I moved her into a new tank, they usually will jsut sit there for a while until they get a burrow started. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Ralph!
I have quite a bit of exp. with the Haplopelma's. I have had the best luck with potting soil mixed with peat about 50/50. It seems to hold the tunnels much better. If you use just peat, try to put a starter tunnel in there for her to help her get started and lower the stress a bit. My H.minax never could dig that well with the peat; only about 6in". or so then it would collapse. So I used a P.v.c. pipe and buried that in it's cage. Just make sure it is the right size for the spider; I used white colored pipe, and attached a elbow to it for the entrance, filling the pipe up somewhat to give the spider something to work with. My H.Lividum is a female as well, 4", and when I moved her a while back she got more stressed than I thought she would. So even though my burrowers all dig tunnels successfully in the 50/50 sub., I put the pipe in to help her get acclimated. She loves it, although for a day or two she was really stressed. Just let her calm down a bit; If she is eating she will probably do alright. Mine loves here set-up now,and digs alot, but when they stress out and lock-up, it is worrisome! Hey Ralph, If you need anymore help, just p.m. me or post your questions, I am glad to help! The haplopelma's are easy once you get them calmed down and acclimated!

:)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Last weekend I finally got a Haplopelma lividium! This is my first Asian tarantula. I've currently got her in the Pet Pal from the Pet Shop, but plan on moving her to an aquarium this evening. My question is concerning substrate. For my other tarantulas, I use 100% Peat Moss as the substrate. For my spiderlings (2" and below) I use a 60/40 Peat/Vermiculite substrate to help retain additional moisture. What would you recommend for my Cobalt Blue? I was leaning toward the same mixture as I use for my spiderlings because I've read the lividium needs a bit higher humidity, but I don't want to over do it. Any advice would be appreciated. (By the way, she is about 4" and definately female)

Also on another note: Since I got her on Sunday, she has eaten 1 cricket every night and has been under her cork bark almost the entire time. This morning when I went in, I found her out beside the cork bark and am concerned that she is okay. She's not curled up, but is sitting very still out in the open. I know this is not a lot to go on, but I wasn't thinking I would ever really get to see her out in the open. Do any of yours make themselves visible? Should I be concerned? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ralph
Dude, I think you're doing good by using 100% Peat moss. I switched to peat moss after my Cobalt refused to come down onto the Cypress mulch I had on the bottom of its Pet Pal. That in and of itself is a very long story. But suffice it to say, Luci loves the peat moss better. Luci's even constructed a burrow in the corner for itself.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
I use 75 percent peat 25 vermiculite i also start a little bit of there burrows for them, mine seems more than happy considering i hardly ever see her-jason

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine loves to come out at night when everything is quiet. I also received my Vietnamese Tiger today. I can tell that she's going to be quite a handful already. She's quite vivacious. But her markings are quite beautiful. She's a deep chocolate brown with dark gray chevron markings.

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im very sorry to go off topic and all
but i have a q about h.lividium
so here it is

my h.lividium has a bald patch on here abdomen
and i have always thought that she is an old world
is this normal please sombody help me

she arrived to me in this condition when i got here on my
vecation in germany i have her for about 2 weeks and she eats just fine

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just as a follow up...

Last night, I purchased a 5.5 gallon aquarium/screen and a rounded piece of cork bark. I mixed up some peat moss and vermiculite 75%/25%, moist but not dripping. I then prepared a pre-made burrow about 2.5 inches deep and place the cork bark over it. I then added 1 angry Cobalt Blue and voila! 1 angry Cobalt Blue became 1 happy Cobalt Blue. She immediately took t the burrow and by this morning it was entirely webbed round. She also ate a cricket last night, so I figure she's doing alright.
Thank-you all for all the information and assistance! I really appreciate it as I wanted to provide a good home for her.
Thanks again!
Ralph