Haplopelma ID?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Bought this as a Haplopelma longipes. She molted to maturity, and now I am not so sure. Can anyone properly ID?
20160801_114016.jpg With Flash
20160801_114050.jpg Without

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
It could be H. vonwirthi, but I can't be sure. Is there orange on the spinnerets? Here's mine after it's last molt

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
@Toxoderidae , would it be possible to take a picture from the side? I´m interested in seeing leg number IV from the side. It´s the easiest way to separate longipes from vonwirthi as far as I know.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I

I will try when I get home if she didnt go back into her burrow.
Ok :). If you can´t take a picture from the side, look closely at the rear legs next time she is out and about. I´m sorry, I don´t know how to explain this in correct English, but H. longipes has an "enlargment" at the end of the legs number IV. H. vonwirthi doesn´t have this "enlarged" legs, if you understand what I am trying to explain in Tarzan English? o_O

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Ok :). If you can´t take a picture from the side, look closely at the rear legs next time she is out and about. I´m sorry, I don´t know how to explain this in correct English, but H. longipes has an "enlargment" at the end of the legs number IV. H. vonwirthi doesn´t have this "enlarged" legs, if you understand what I am trying to explain in Tarzan English? o_O
Yeah I get what you're saying, like the leg is thicker at the end?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Here is a picture from the molt.
View attachment 216890
It´s an adult specimen, no? I would expect the rear legs to be a bit more "pronounced" on a H. longipes. I would also expect this woman to have even hairier back legs (you haven´t shaved her, right? :wacky:). My guess is that this is a H. vonwirthi or a Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam", but they do look similar and I´m not certain. You can compare the length of the rear legs to the front legs on this moult. H. longipes would have significantly longer rear legs than front legs. If this specimen doesn´t have that, we can be certain that she is not a longipes.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It´s an adult specimen, no? I would expect the rear legs to be a bit more "pronounced" on a H. longipes. I would also expect this woman to have even hairier back legs (you haven´t shaved her, right? :wacky:). My guess is that this is a H. vonwirthi or a Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam", but they do look similar and I´m not certain. You can compare the length of the rear legs to the front legs on this moult. H. longipes would have significantly longer rear legs than front legs. If this specimen doesn´t have that, we can be certain that she is not a longipes.
I'll check. She was almost hairless when I got her (before this molt) as she's a WC specimen. Her carapace was literally hairless.

Here she is. This is likely a Sp. Vietnam based on what you said, as the legs are fairly equal in length.
spider.jpg

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll check. She was almost hairless when I got her (before this molt) as she's a WC specimen. Her carapace was literally hairless.

Here she is. This is likely a Sp. Vietnam based on what you said, as the legs are fairly equal in length.
View attachment 216896
If you are on facebook you could sent Volker von Wirth some photos. He is a taxonomist and should be able to correctly ID it. I think he have a profile in here aswell, but i am not sure he ever uses it.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
What name did you purchase your spider as? To me it appears to be H. longipes but I could be wrong that's my best guess I can give you.
No, not with the front legs and rear legs being of fairly equal length. On a H. longipes the differences in length will be obvious. Only H. longipes and H. lividum has this difference in the length of leg I and IV. It might be a H. vonwirthi , but I have no idea how to separate them from a Sp. "Vietnam".

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you happen to have a molt show photo of the spermathecae maybe that will help a bit. It's been a long time since I've owned any Haplopelma so I'm a bit rusty with this genus on some species. This female is Haplopelma vonwirthi in need of a molt maybe this can help you with your spider.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
So Volker messaged me back, he believes its a vonwirthi. If that were the case, then I'd have two! One much smaller one, and an adult female.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
If you happen to have a molt show photo of the spermathecae maybe that will help a bit. It's been a long time since I've owned any Haplopelma so I'm a bit rusty with this genus on some species. This female is Haplopelma vonwirthi in need of a molt maybe this can help you with your spider.
Her spermathecae is there I think, I'd have to unpin the molt and wet it quite some, but I think I can check and take a picture.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
That should be plenty clear enough.
Isn't this whole genus recategorized into cyriopagopus? Or just a few of the species?