Haplopelma costale

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey. I have a questions for you. I want to learn more about Haplopelma costale, because in Poland this species is rare. I want to know: what size they have when they're adult (in centimetre), how big tank they must have, how long they live, how temperature and humidity they need. And much more :)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say that you'd keep it like a H. lividum.
Deep, moist substrate for burrowing. I keep mine( cobalt ) in about 8" deep. Tank size to fit the size of your T.
BTW, welcome to the site. You can find caresheets by clicking on
Arachnopets above.. ;)

Ernie

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a great looking adult female that I'll post pics of soon. You keep it generally like any other cool and moist loving Asian species. The adult females are fast and won't hesitate to bite anything in their path. I believe they are quite rare in the United States as well and have yet to talk to anyone over here that knowing has one (anyone?). She came in as a Haplopelma minax from a Malaysian shipment about a year before my friend (Keith at www.ChameleonCounters.com) sold her to me for about $30.00. I identified her using the original description on Haplopelma constale (Schmidt, 1998) and a molt that Keith provided me (she molted out the week before). I was fairly excited to say the least! Now if only I could find a male.

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
well you arent the only one lol

Intense herps,
I have a cb juvenile female that came in from europe. So now you arent the only one :D

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It would be interesting to see where you got your spiderings from as the majority of tarantulas labeled as H. costale are in fact a Ornithoctoninae sp. Well here is my female (the pic is a little bit washed out), guarenteed to be the real Haplopelma costale.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Intense Herp,

while your examination of the exuvia of your specimen have you also compared the relation of the length of the hint legs (leg IV) vs. the front legs (leg I)? It's not clear visible on the photo you posted, but I would guess that leg IV is much longer than leg I (RF ~89). Till now there are only two Haplopelma species known with a RF of ~89, all the others have a RF of leg I vs. leg IV of about 98.
Am I right, are the hint legs longer than the front legs?

all the best,
Martin

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi "Intense Herp",

well, you've showed a good example about the fact that Schmidt's descriptions are so bad and waste, because I bet for a real Haplopelma costale Specimen that the Spider on the picture has a Spermathecae which is fused and undivided like the one which is shown on the picture below (the real Hapl. costale has a totally other structure).(ATTENTION, the Holotype of this Species is in my personal collection!!!;)).
Maybe Martin wants to show a picture of a real Haplopelma costale to us (he possess real impressively pictures of it!;) )!

Cheers, Volker

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm

Thanks for all answers, but I'm doing the short info about H.costale for www.terrarystyka.pl (the best polish site:) and for now I have this:

Spider size: ?
Tank: 30/20/30 centimetre
Length of live: ?
Temperature: ?
Humidity Level: ?
Food: crickets and other invertebrate
Activity: night
Humidity Level: agresive

Can You help me to complete the info?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: hmm

Hi,

Spider size: ca. 5cm bodylength
Length of live: probably round about 15 Years
Temperature: I keep mine between 20 - 28°C, it depends on the weather outside
Humidity Level: <80%
Food: crickets and other invertebrate
Activity: night

Cheers, Volker

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by Zibi

I keep mine in tanks which are designed especially for Haplopelma spp. and other obligate burrowers (on the left side you can see the legs of a Ornithoctonus sp. "Vietnam" female, in the middle there is a H. schmidti female and on the right side a Chilobrachys fimbriatus female):

For more details about this kind of tanks see this article:
  • VON WIRTH, V. & HUBER, M. (2002): Einige Praxis-Tipps zur Haltung von Haplopelma Arten und anderen Röhren bewohnenden Vogelspinnen. DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 14-23.
You can download this article for free: >>click here<<
An english version of this article will be published in the BTS Journal soon.

BTW, what is an "aggressive humidity level"??? =;-)
IMHO it is a very defensive species (when they feel disturbed, they will defend themselve), like most Haplopelma spp..

all the best,
Martin

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She has a divided spermathecae just like the one described in the paper. As for measurements of the leg segments, I'll get her out later and see. So is the spermathecae like the one you posted or is it like the one in the papers description? I was pretty sure I covered everything while trying to find out what species this guy really was.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Intense Herp
She has a divided spermathecae just like the one described in the paper. As for measurements of the leg segments, I'll get her out later and see. So is the spermathecae like the one you posted or is it like the one in the papers description? I was pretty sure I covered everything while trying to find out what species this guy really was.
Hi,

sorry, but I won't believe that until' I can examine the Exuvia from the above shown Specimen, because I'm sure this Specimen belongs to the Haplopelma minax-group and has a Spermathecae like this one which is shown in my thread above.

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
(ATTENTION, the Holotype of this Species is in my personal collection!!!;)).
Cheers, Volker
Hi Volker,
I have to ask, what is a designated Holotype species doing in your personal collection?? Shouldn't it be housed in a public museum whereby taxonomists and fellow enthusiasts have access to the research material?

Thanks,
Steve

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
Hi,

I keep mine in tanks which are designed especially for Haplopelma spp. and other obligate burrowers (on the left side you can see the legs of a Ornithoctonus sp. "Vietnam" female, in the middle there is a H. schmidti female and on the right side a Chilobrachys fimbriatus female):

For more details about this kind of tanks see this article:
  • VON WIRTH, V. & HUBER, M. (2002): Einige Praxis-Tipps zur Haltung von Haplopelma Arten und anderen Röhren bewohnenden Vogelspinnen. DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 14-23.
You can download this article for free: >>click here<<
An english version of this article will be published in the BTS Journal soon.

BTW, what is an "aggressive humidity level"??? =;-)
IMHO it is a very defensive species (when they feel disturbed, they will defend themselve), like most Haplopelma spp..

all the best,
Martin
WOW, super tanks, can you give me a project of them? I'll do some for my T's. Can you give me a link to: BTS Journal, because I don't know german.

Last edited:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Volker,
I have to ask, what is a designated Holotype species doing in your personal collection?? Shouldn't it be housed in a public museum whereby taxonomists and fellow enthusiasts have access to the research material?

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

of course you are right, but there is always the possibility to loan Typespecimen, if you have a good contact to the Curator of a Museum. That's the case for me with the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt. I know Dr. Peter Jaeger, the responsible Person for the Section Arachnida, very well, so it is no problem for me to loan the Typematerial from Schmidt or Strand for a while. That's actually the case with the Haplopelma costale Material and with some other Material from Strand's collection!

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Volker,
Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'd love to have access to some of the material you've got there in Germany, it's good to have friends in high places! So, so many type specimens housed in Germany. I bet you've found a lot of interesting things in Schmidt's material :D

Cheers,
Steve

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Zibi,

WOW, super tanks, can you give me a project of them? I'll do some for my T's. Can you give me a link to: BTS Journal, because I don't know german.
We have just translated the article and will send it to Richard Gallon (the editor of the BTS Journal) soon. So you have enough time to subscribe the BTS Journal.

The article will also include a blueprint for this kind of tanks.

The official website of the British Tarantula Society: >>click here<<

all the best,
Martin

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
Hello Zibi,

We have just translated the article and will send it to Richard Gallon (the editor of the BTS Journal) soon. So you have enough time to subscribe the BTS Journal.

The article will also include a blueprint for this kind of tanks.

The official website of the British Tarantula Society: >>click here<<

all the best,
Martin
Hey, i've tried, but I can't subscribe BTS journal, can you give me a link for that?