Haplopelma Confirmation

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. I have found a Haplopelma that I am interested in. It is being sold by Swifty.

It is called the Burmese Black (Haplopelma aureopilosum).

Here is the link to his picture of it:

http://swiftinverts.com/pix/Haureo2.jpg

With some confusion about some of the different Haplo species out there, I just want to make sure that the common name, scientifiec name, and picture all refer to the same species. I want what is in the picture.

Can I get information specific to the species that is in the picture. Or are all Haplopelmas pretty much the same in temperment/behavior save the differences of each individual.

Thanks
Big Dragonfly

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool.. I also ordered 2 spiderlings from Kelly.. Cyriopagopus paganus and Hysterocrates gigas. I hope he'll give me a free tarantulas and pinhead crickets :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
cool.. I also ordered 2 spiderlings from Kelly.. Cyriopagopus paganus and Hysterocrates gigas. I hope he'll give me a free tarantulas and pinhead crickets :)
As the saying on the website goes, "Always a freebie".

I ordered a P. cambredgi and a C. fascitum from him about a month ago. I got a free b. angustum and some pinheads. That angustum is pretty cool. I was worried at first, because these were the smallest s'lings that I have ever acquired and I didn't know what I would do when I ran out of crickets. But I found an exotic petstore out where I live that sells them.

The angustum molted and doesn't need the pinheads anymore. I just crushed a small one up last night and dropped it in the vial. The t was working on it for most of the day today.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice T... he gave me a curlyhair last time.... never thought I would get a curlyhair but oh well. it's free:D I hope he'll give me a good one this time :)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CUrlyhairs are good. Be careful with what you wish for, you could get a Phormictopus Atrichomatus if you don't watch out.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
CUrlyhairs are good. Be careful with what you wish for, you could get a Phormictopus Atrichomatus if you don't watch out.
i've checked his Ts list and he doesn't have Phormictopus Atrichomatus... what's wrong with this T?

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
heres the scoop

Haplopelma aureopilosum is really Haplopelma Sp./ aureopilosum as described by Volker Von Wirth. Dont use the common name go with the latin name but if you insist the common name is Burmese bird eater btw it has alot of common names also attached is a pic ( this pic is Volkers) and is of said species

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow that's a nice T. I wouldn't mind having it. :) well.. i've ordered from kelly a Haplopelma longipedum...

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a sling of one of those guys,Haplopelma aureopilosum that i got from arachnocenter.its very fast,it never turns down a cricket,and wen u open or move the vial around it slowly climbs up the top and just sits there staring,even if the vial lid is open,hes a pretty comical little guy.cant wait till he grows up and gets the attitude that haplopelmas are known for.
Tom

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: heres the scoop

Originally posted by Haploman
Haplopelma aureopilosum is really Haplopelma Sp./ aureopilosum as described by Volker Von Wirth. Dont use the common name go with the latin name but if you insist the common name is Burmese bird eater btw it has alot of common names also attached is a pic ( this pic is Volkers) and is of said species
This is such a gorgeous T. I will definately be putting it at the top of my to get list. I think it will take the place of P. murinus usambar form. Thanks for posting that picture. It is definately the most beautiful haplopelma in my opinion. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but f the cobalt blue.;P

Big Dragonfly

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Hell again

Originally posted by Haploman
My adult female is gravid
Hmmm...I guess it will be a while before, if at all, before they will be able to go out in the Mail.:}

Oh, well, I think Swifty is selling them for 15 bucks right now! :p

Oh how I really want one!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You guys are using the "L" word! Gonna piss somebody off :)
I think we should continue to use the pet trade name of Cyriopagopus paganus and avoid using the "longipendum" species name. At least, until it is official.
I know someone out there somewhere, has a brain that sizzles everytime he sees somebody using Haplopelma longipendum.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

speaking of cyriopagopus paganus, mine went into its maturing molt last night and came out a....(drumroll)....male!, anyone looking to do a split---Jeff

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
i've checked his Ts list and he doesn't have Phormictopus Atrichomatus... what's wrong with this T?
It's rather angry

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz

I think we should continue to use the pet trade name of Cyriopagopus paganus and avoid using the "longipendum" species name. At least, until it is official.
hmm... what will happen, when any time in the future the real Cyriopagopus paganus will be imported and offered? Someone has a female of the pet trade C. paganus at home and is buying a male C. paganus for his female, but they doesn't fit because he may get the real C. paganus. =:-(
The proper thing would be to call the pet trad C. paganus just what it is: Haplopelma sp.
But there are so many Haplopelma sp., that's why Volker gave it the working name longipedum (it's not described yet, just a working name!!!), that other taxonomists know what he is refering to. So IMHO the best thing is to write the longipedum in quotation marks: Haplopelma sp. "longipedum"

same for Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum".

just my two cents,
Martin

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Martin,
I believe it was Volker himself that recommended that we continue to use Cyriopagopus paganus for this Haplopelma species in the pet trade. This is how I deciphered it anyways. The thread is here somewhere, just look for it.
As for the real Cyrio. paganus, you know how that goes. It's not here yet, just like the real C. thorelli is not here yet.
Yes, it is a Haplopelma species, but it doesn't help describe which one it is. Therefore, Cyriopagopus paganus should be used to further prevent misidentification and to generally know which species we're talking about. No? That is, until the REAL Cyriopagopus paganus enters the hobby. But then, what is the real Cyriopagopus paganus, and how would I know it to see it?
It was Volker that did tell me that the name Haplopelma sp. "longipendum" was to be used as a working name for this species, by people like you Martin. I think I once used the name Haplo. sp. "longipendum", and I was quickly corrected. By Volker.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LaRiz,

Originally posted by LaRiz

I believe it was Volker himself that recommended that we continue to use Cyriopagopus paganus for this Haplopelma species in the pet trade. This is how I deciphered it anyways. The thread is here somewhere, just look for it.
If he did this, I am quite sure only with the addendum "pet trade", but I can't imagine that he recommanded to call it just Cyriopagopus paganus.

As for the real Cyrio. paganus, you know how that goes. It's not here yet, just like the real C. thorelli is not here yet.
Yep, it's the same with Haplopelma minax and Lampropelma violaceopes. For several years only H. sp. "aureopilosum" was sold as H. minax. Now some dealers have the real H. minax and others still sell the H. sp. "aureopilosum" as H. minax. So you never can't be sure what you'll get if you order a H. minax.
Same with L. violaceopes. For years H. lividum was sold as L. violaceope(de)s. Then it was described as H. lividum by Andrew Smith in 1996. Some years ago, the first real L. violaceopes where imported and sold as Haplopelma robustum. Now they are IDed as L. violaceopes sensu Abraham, 1924. You still can buy them as H. robustum, but some have started to label them correct as L. violaceopes. But there are some dealers which still sell the greenish colour morph of H. lividum as L. violaceope(de)s.
=> you never know what the next import will bring. Perhaps a big load of the real C. paganus or the real C. thorelli, or... the mess would be perfect! =;-)

Yes, it is a Haplopelma species, but it doesn't help describe which one it is. Therefore, Cyriopagopus paganus should be used to further prevent misidentification and to generally know which species we're talking about. No?
It was Volker that did tell me that the name Haplopelma sp. "longipendum" was to be used as a working name for this species, by people like you Martin. I think I once used the name Haplo. sp. "longipendum", and I was quickly corrected. By Volker.
I am quite sure you used Haploeplma longipedum or/and Haplopelma aureopilosum without the "sp." and the quotation marks and he corrected you, that these species aren't described yet and are working names.

all the best,
Martin

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.

For several years only H. sp. "aureopilosum" was sold as H. minax. Now some dealers have the real H. minax and others still sell the H. sp. "aureopilosum" as H. minax. So you never can't be sure what you'll get if you order a H. minax.

With this in mind, if I want an H. sp. "aureopilosum", and I order H. sp. "aureopilosum, is that what I will get?

Big Dragonfly