Haplopelma albostriatum care Qs

casparian82

Arachnopeon
any help for housing this would greatly be appreciated. also any pics of this species would be helpful. im 90% percent sure thats what i bought yes terday. the store was not sure of the species they told me it was some kind of haplopelma and they had it labeled as asian bird. right now its in a large kritter keeper with slightly damp peat moss about 1.75 inches deep. also any pics of other peoples sets ups would be awesome. thanks for your time!!

casparian82

Arachnopeon
Really? so what a total of 7-8" total? is this one of those species if properly cared for you never get to see?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Congrats! You bought a pet hole. Your gonna have to sneak up on her in the middle of the night. Can you post some pics of her and setup?

casparian82

Arachnopeon
yeah i'll take some pics in a minute here. but its off a camera phone so might not be that good. do you think that coco substrate would be ok?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
how did you get a Haplo. without knowing it was going to be a pet hole?:?

casparian82

Arachnopeon
@Rob1985
First off, i'm more of scorpion guy don't do many t's. and it was in a container with about 1" of substrate while the cobalt was in a container that had like 10" of substrate. this is definitely my first haplopelma species. i'm pretty new to tarantula's all together

Rob1985

This user has no status.
@Rob1985
First off, i'm more of scorpion guy don't do many t's. and it was in a container with about 1" of substrate while the cobalt was in a container that had like 10" of substrate. this is definitely my first haplopelma species. i'm pretty new to tarantula's all together
I was just asking, but I would have researched H. albostriatum care.

Enjoy your pet hole. I had a lividum a couple years ago. Haplos. are great T's when you see them lol. Mine always burrowed along side the clear rubbermaid container. :}

As for substrate, I always use organic peat for everything.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
thanks for the help. i might just trade this one then.
Hey you already have it... make the best of it! My second T after an Avic was an OBT... so you learn pretty fast what it means to really own a T possessed by the devil! {D

Oh and many vendors put them in these dishes for selling purposes. Just keep a watchful eye on what you're potentially buying. If you have a phone with the internet hit up Google while your there.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rob, it can VERY easily be done :(

One of the LPS here is selling a "bird eating tarantula". Yes, seriously. Guess what's in the tank? I'm thinking some sort of Halpo, although it's hard to ID since the tank is just higher then eye level.

And to the OP, keep it. Once you give it the right substrate (coco fiber will work) they really aren't that scary. Mostly because it will be down the hole :D

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very easy to care for. 5-8inches of sub. great looking holes as well.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Give it enough substrate and start a burrow or two right by the plastic. If she likes one of those, you can see her through the plastic wall. I love Haplos, they have character. I see enough of my GBB and Fireleg anyway.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
How do they have character they are no more than holes. Never see my haplopelma and after she passes will never own another!!! Although will say if you could ever see them they are pretty.