Haploclastus nilgirinus Info Please

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 2 1/2" Female Haploclastus nilgirinus. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on them..I heard they were aboreal however mine seems to like to burrow. I was also told the spider was basically just brown, however this isn't the case either. Mine is a rich brown color but it also has a gold hue on the carapace and all over the legs..Really quite a site.. But any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have also heard that they are arboreal, but have yet to see one behaving as such. Many arboreals burrow as slings though mine is pushing 4" and still acts as fossorial as can be. I give her a tall enclosure half filled with dirt and she pretty much turns it upside down, moving all the substrate toward the top with chambers and tunnels below. They do use a lot of webbing in the substrate to create structure, more than typical fossorials I have. It could be that they would normally do this in the interior of a hollow tree or up into a tangle of branches and I'm just not providing the right conditions for it. I'd love to see one in it's natural habitat, though obviously that goes for all my t's, I guess. May be I'll try a rehousing with still more vertical real estate and see just how high she'll go.

Bill