Haploclastus devamatha Care?

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
Hello folks! I'm just getting back into Ts after a long hiatus, and am planning what slings to pick up this Spring. Mostly I want to reacquire old favorites (avics, Hapalopus sp. Colombia, P. irminia), but my weakness to shiny spiders has me eyeing the H. devamatha as well. I'm used to the "fast, unpredictable pet hole" type with P. irminia, but I don't know how fully that prepares me for dealing with this OW species. My only OW species experience is from pet-sitting, I've never owned any myself.

Anyone have advice on care, or how suitable this step into OW husbandry may be?

They are *awfully* shiny...

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Hello folks! I'm just getting back into Ts after a long hiatus, and am planning what slings to pick up this Spring. Mostly I want to reacquire old favorites (avics, Hapalopus sp. Colombia, P. irminia), but my weakness to shiny spiders has me eyeing the H. devamatha as well. I'm used to the "fast, unpredictable pet hole" type with P. irminia, but I don't know how fully that prepares me for dealing with this OW species. My only OW species experience is from pet-sitting, I've never owned any myself.

Anyone have advice on care, or how suitable this step into OW husbandry may be?

They are *awfully* shiny...
Like most Asian fossorial species, deep, damp substrate and a hide. From my understanding, you'll hardly ever see this species as they are very reclusive and almost the definition of a pet hole. They are pretty, yes, but it's a beauty you may have to imagine even if you own one.

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
Would there be any benefit to burying some cork flats in the substrate for little "caves" for it to link together with burrows, like I would for an Emperor Scorpion? Or would homogeneous substrate all the way down be better?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you are comfortable around the likes of P.irminia, this species (in terms of speed and defensiveness) isn't big deal.

P.irminia
are more speedy (easy, being arboreals... not that H.devamatha aren't, anyway) and in my opinion is one of the most defensive arboreals (I've viewed certain P.irminia specimens definitely more nervous than certain 'pokies').

As written above, the care is the usual Asian obligate burrower one. Don't forget to provide a 'generous' ventilation, extremely important :writer:

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
Thanks Danger and Chris for the advice! I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge. Time to dig through the Terrariums and Vivariums subforum for enclosure inspiration :watchingyou:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd keep it like most other fossorials that like a little moisture in the substrate like Ephebopus sp.