Hapalopus Triseriatus care and temperment

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Can anyone till me what the temperament and care for this species please , it's a lowland species and the common name is Venezuelan Lemon Patch , thanks in advance ?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can anyone till me what the temperament and care for this species please , it's a lowland species and the common name is Venezuelan Lemon Patch , thanks in advance ?
Hi Deb
I've had one of these around 2 years or so I keep mine dry with a waterdish that I let overflow every once in a while so there is some moisture in the enclosure. Mine's made a shallow silk lined burrow just under a piece of cork bark and tends to stay hidden most days.

They are docile/tolerant as a general rule although a little skittish when younger, mine doesn't have the greatest feeding response either and their grow rate is medium. They are stunning though and alot less common than H sp colombia they make a pretty good starter tarantula or 2nd,3rd,4th etc

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Hi Deb
I've had one of these around 2 years or so I keep mine dry with a waterdish that I let overflow every once in a while so there is some moisture in the enclosure. Mine's made a shallow silk lined burrow just under a piece of cork bark and tends to stay hidden most days.

They are docile/tolerant as a general rule although a little skittish when younger, mine doesn't have the greatest feeding response either and their grow rate is medium. They are stunning though and alot less common than H sp colombia they make a pretty good starter tarantula or 2nd,3rd,4th etc
Thank you .

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Hi Deb

How big do they get ?!

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
This is the smallest of the H. sp. Columbia variants I believe, except of the 3 this one has a species name, and the the Large and Small do not.
Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen. All are kept the same way and here is some reading if you have a few hours:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/least-scary-vs-most-scary.261388/page-4#post-2266133

can also use the search function to find breeding reports etc.....

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen. All are kept the same way and here is some reading if you have a few hours:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/least-scary-vs-most-scary.261388/page-4#post-2266133

can also use the search function to find breeding reports etc.....

Hahah. I know that thread, have it bookmarked, and posted in it. Wish John was still around....

SO have you measured small and triseratus over the course of different specimens to get a feel if one comes in larger than the other generally speaking?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Hahah. I know that thread, have it bookmarked, and posted in it. Wish John was still around....

SO have you measured small and triseratus over the course of different specimens to get a feel if one comes in larger than the other generally speaking?
Sure have as the post there states Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen.

John used several of my pics, he asked many questions about all the patches via long phone conversations , and I let him freely use any and all information/pics where ever he deemed worthy. I enjoyed his conversation very much as I devoted a lot of time and effort into all of those species (one of my favorite Genus, but have to many favorites to count) and he appreciated that with sincerity. Miss him along with many others I have had great conversations with through out the years on this forum and hope he is doing well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sure have as the post there states Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen.

John used several of my pics, he asked many questions about all the patches via long phone conversations , and I let him freely use any and all information/pics where ever he deemed worthy. I enjoyed his conversation very much as I devoted a lot of time and effort into all of those species (one of my favorite Genus, but have to many favorites to count) and he appreciated that with sincerity. Miss him along with many others I have had great conversations with through out the years on this forum and hope he is doing well.

This didn't answer my question. I'll be more specific to help you, clearly I wasn't specific enough. I'll number the question to make it easier for you.

1. How many adults have you measured of each species, how many of each gender?
2. For the two species, did you observe a trend of one being larger than the other? if so, which one was larger? Your answer of "nearly the same size" means one was larger than other. I expect intraspecies variation, as I said, did you observe any trend?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
This didn't answer my question. I'll be more specific to help you, clearly I wasn't specific enough. I'll number the question to make it easier for you.

1. How many adults have you measured of each species, how many of each gender?
2. For the two species, did you observe a trend of one being larger than the other? if so, which one was larger? Your answer of "nearly the same size" means one was larger than other. I expect intraspecies variation, as I said, did you observe any trend?
Lol...thanks for the numbering, but your question is answered you just chose to read more into it, misinterpreted it, or not to read my answer thoroughly in my opinion.

I stated clearly, "Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen."

To clarify, I have bred all specimens so I have had several reach to adulthood (10+ male & female in all patch specimens ranging from slings to adult hood) as indicated in the picture used in Johns post having experience with Hap small, Large, Triseratus, and what was termed "lowland". Again, the optimal word here "individual specimen" simply means that I have some Triseratus grow a bit larger or smaller then other Triseratus and some Hap small grow a bit larger or smaller then others. With that stated and as I said they are all near the same size and can vary between each individual specimen. Once again for your numbering I will give an example for you: if one naval orange is a bit bigger or smaller then another naval orange and a different say blood orange is a bit smaller or larger then another blood orange and I state the two oranges are relatively the same size then they are exactly that with variations bigger or smaller in both oranges ;)

I believe we have had a similar conversation before where your "belief" in this particular genus of patches resulted in my clarification. Again, I always encourage individuals to read breeding reports, discussion on specific species of interest, and seek out those that have expertise. Search functions here and other forums can lead you direct through pm to those who have had experience and often save a lot of time with miss communication, wrong information given, and useless jibber jabber. I won't repeat my opinions are like stink holes analogy for the sake of sounding like a broken record to myself.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With that stated and as I said they are all near the same size and can vary
Thanks for the info Joe, Again, did you notice any trends if one species tended to be larger than the other, you didn't answer that question. I get the impression you did not based on your statements.

"relatively the same size" is not the same as exactly the same size. Hence my trend question.

For example, metric and standard measurements in tools in some cases are relatively the same, however they are not exactly the same ;) Hence why people end up cursing when they work on their car ;)

Perhaps with your sample size all you noticed was a variation with no one species being larger than the other, in the case of Small vs Tris.?

My beliefs are based on information I have heard from other dealers and breeders of these guys. Perhaps in their experience they noticed SMALL being a bit larger. However, perhaps they didn't come across as many individual as you, OR maybe they have come across more than you and were able to provide a more definitive answer.

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Lol ;) ;) ;) This will be my last ride on the Inane merry-go-round as the OP already thanked me and I believe is satisfied with my response. I will again try and paint the picture for you. Out of several hap small specimens, Triseratus specimens, lowland specimens the sizes of the individual varied standard, metric ,rope length, shoe length, or how ever you wanted to measure. Some of the small were smaller then the lowland/Triseratus. Some of the lowland/Triseratus were smaller then the small. Therefore, the smallest Hap small I measured was the same smallest size measured of the triseratus/lowland (same ages in the comparative specimen(s) as well not to now get hung up on that).

Conclusion as stated now 3 x : I stated clearly, "Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen."

If you would like to argue that your dealer or breeder that you checked with has had more specimens, experience, done more research on or with the patches then you of course are entitled to your opinion ;) You would of course be dealing with second hand experince or hearsay and I would be dealing with 1st hand experience. I would encourage you and any one else to get some (if you dont already have a few) if not all the patches as they are great specimens. Then you can make your own first hand determination rather then rely on "other dealers or breeders" discussion. I have some for sale and the ones I don't have at the moment I can get. Just let me know I will patch you up lol ;) My pm box and phone/text line is open.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol ;) ;) ;) This will be my last ride on the Inane merry-go-round as the OP already thanked me and I believe is satisfied with my response. I will again try and paint the picture for you. Out of several hap small specimens, Triseratus specimens, lowland specimens the sizes of the individual varied standard, metric ,rope length, shoe length, or how ever you wanted to measure. Some of the small were smaller then the lowland/Triseratus. Some of the lowland/Triseratus were smaller then the small. Therefore, the smallest Hap small I measured was the same smallest size measured of the triseratus/lowland.

Conclusion as stated now 3 x : I stated clearly, "Hap small and triseratus are near the same size and can be the same in size depending on the individual specimen."

If you would like to argue that your dealer or breeder that you checked with has had more specimens, experience, done more research on or with the patches then you of course are entitled to your opinion ;) You would of course be dealing with second hand experince or hearsay and I would be dealing with 1st hand experience. I would encourage you and any one else to get some (if you dont already have a few) if not all the patches as they are great specimens. Then you can make your own first hand determination rather then rely on "other dealers or breeders" discussion. I have some for sale and the ones I don't have at the moment I can get. Just let me know I will patch you up lol ;) My pm box and phone/text line is open.

I agree this has been a rather insane discussion with you. As for the veracity of their information, I treat your information the same as their information. They bred them as did you. Their information is not hearsay or secondhand.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I agree this has been a rather insane discussion with you. As for the veracity of their information, I treat your information the same as their information. They bred them as did you. Their information is not hearsay or secondhand.
I preferred my term inane better, but insane works as well for a clarification that was never needed as it was clear to the OP from the start in my opinion.

"They bred them as did you. Their information is not hearsay or secondhand". Actually, they are not the ones in the discussion or part of the "insane" dialog. Therefore, you bringing it up here would be second hand or hearsay from you as you did not breed or have personal experience as opposed to myself who has actual first (litteraly) hand experience.

The best to you in your patch endeavors if you have any and last post I promise I just felt the need to explain first hand experience versus second as it is clearly evident you did not understand the concept here.....

Until our next inane discussion ;) ,

Joe

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I preferred my term inane better, but insane works as well for a clarification that was never needed as it was clear to the OP from the start in my opinion.

"They bred them as did you. Their information is not hearsay or secondhand". Actually, they are not the ones in the discussion or part of the "insane" dialog. Therefore, you bringing it up here would be second hand or hearsay from you as you did not breed or have personal experience as opposed to myself who has actual first (litteraly) hand experience.

The best to you in your patch endeavors if you have any and last post I promise I just felt the need to explain first hand experience versus second as it is clearly evident you did not understand the concept here.....

Until our next inane discussion ;) ,

Joe
I preferred my term, hence my use of it. I was seeking clarification as your statement wasn't clear to me, so it was "needed".

First hand information is direct knowledge. You have first hand information with these species. The people I have spoken with have bred them, they have first hand knowledge too. Hence why your information is no better or worse than theirs.

Veledwin

Arachnopeon
I preferred my term, hence my use of it. I was seeking clarification as your statement wasn't clear to me, so it was "needed".

First hand information is direct knowledge. You have first hand information with these species. The people I have spoken with have bred them, they have first hand knowledge too. Hence why your information is no better or worse than theirs.
Yikes that was insane AND inane 😂

Last edited:

Veledwin

Arachnopeon
In addition, what is insane and inane is you replying to a discussion from 4+ years ago with no value to the topic whatsoever :lol:
Stupidity doesn't change, not after 4 years. And that's fine, I wasn't trying to add anything of value, unlike that guy 4 years ago.