Hapalopus sp Columbia MIA

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I bought a hapalopus sp. columbia, about 8 months ago, and for the first month or two, it was doing fine and eating well. It got settled into it's environment, so I thought it was fine. Then maybe about the third month into getting this spider and trying to feed it, it ran away from the cricket and tried to bolt and escape from the enclosure, and it did, but I'm always prepared for a fast species like this. Ever since then, I've left it alone asuming it was in premolt. It's been about 7 months now, and I haven't seen it since. I've kept the water bowl filled, and the enclosure moist. The hide it's inside of hasn't been torn up of it's webbing/dirt on the entrance, so it probably has not gone out it's hide since then. Is this normal premolt behaviour for this species? Should I tear up the entrance and see if it's okay? I don't know how long I should wait.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
One refused meal does not equal premolt. I'd check on it. I've never had a spider seal away for more than a few months.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have raised 3 H.sp Columbia lrg into adulthood and none have ever refused food for more than a few weeks a month at most before a molt..

I would dig it up.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have two, my first one rarely eats and until recently had been holed up in a little den. I tore it open once. It acted irritated, went back and webbed over the entrance again. This literally has gone on for 10 months. Like 10 days ago, it's been out almost the whole time. The abdomen looks fat like a molt is near.
The other webs over the hide, but I at least see her once every few weeks.
I honestly don't know what to think about this species. People love them, they frustrate me a bit. I can deal with never seeing a pet hole, but this isn't a pet hole.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I opened it up.... She's dead. I got her from an expo and she was doing fine. I don't know what I did wrong. I kept the water bowl filled, and tried dropping a cricket in maybe every two weeks. I went with the usual T's just acting like T's and left it alone until it was too late. I just have no idea what I did wrong. First time losing a T..
It has mold on it, it might have gotten stuck in it's molt by the looks of it, it's really graphic, feels awful.

Last edited:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I opened it up.... She's dead. I got her from an expo and she was doing fine. I don't know what I did wrong. I kept the water bowl filled, and tried dropping a cricket in maybe every two weeks. I went with the usual T's just acting like T's and left it alone until it was too late. I just have no idea what I did wrong. First time losing a T..
It has mold on it, it might have gotten stuck in it's molt by the looks of it, it's really graphic, feels awful.

you might not have don't anything wrong so to say.

T's are T's, and sometimes they do this.

its not common, but i had a very similar situation with a E. Pachypus, basicly holed her self up, didn't come out for almost 3 months. and then one day i woke up and she was sitting out in the open. she didn't go back into her hide for a week and then promptly death curled.

still to this day i don't know what it could have been. i searched her hide after she passed to see if anything might have been down there or if maybe something had effected her. absolutely nothing.

i think, of everybody here with more then a few years experience, we can all say we've probably had one T or another get stuck and die/almost die