Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" Really Bad Molt

WJHolby

Arachnopeon
This is Nemo. As you can see, Nemo just had a REALLY bad molt. I found him with the right front leg stuck, which he subsequently lost. He also lost both pedipalps, and the other legs are pretty badly deformed as well. Otherwise, he seems to be moving okay and the fangs are intact. The abdomen looks unusually large to me for a freshly molted T. He is currently in ICU and I plan to try feeding a disabled cricket in a few days. Any other help or advice is welcome. Thanks!

20170414_085553.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
This is Nemo. As you can see, Nemo just had a REALLY bad molt. I found him with the right front leg stuck, which he subsequently lost. He also lost both pedipalps, and the other legs are pretty badly deformed as well. Otherwise, he seems to be moving okay and the fangs are intact. The abdomen looks unusually large to me for a freshly molted T. He is currently in ICU and I plan to try feeding a disabled cricket in a few days. Any other help or advice is welcome. Thanks!

View attachment 236950
I would take it out of the ICU and put it back into its enclosure next to a full waterdish. Nothing more you can do than that. :)

jaycied

Arachnoknight
ICU's are only good when there's a risk for dehydration. With both fangs still intact it will still be able to drink. How large of an enclosure are you keeping him in? If it's big, I'd suggest moving him to a smaller one for now. It will make it easier for him to get to food and water. He looks like he could pull through if you are extra careful. Offer pre killed food placed near him in the new small enclosure, and pay careful attention to make sure he always has CLEAN water.

When Ts have a bad molt, if taken good care of they will usually push themselves into another molt quickly where the pedipalps and missing legs will start to reform.

Good luck with your baby, let us know how it goes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ICU's are only good when there's a risk for dehydration. With both fangs still intact it will still be able to drink. How large of an enclosure are you keeping him in? If it's big, I'd suggest moving him to a smaller one for now. It will make it easier for him to get to food and water. He looks like he could pull through if you are extra careful. Offer pre killed food placed near him in the new small enclosure, and pay careful attention to make sure he always has CLEAN water.

When Ts have a bad molt, if taken good care of they will usually push themselves into another molt quickly where the pedipalps and missing legs will start to reform.

Good luck with your baby, let us know how it goes.
theres really no reason to move it to smaller cage. just leave food and water next to it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a pretty hardy species. You are fortunate the fangs are intact. My AF lost both fangs in a molt and died of starvation. I think you will be in better shape. I cannot speak for yours, but the 2 I have owned were all insanely wired for movement. That is, they won't/didn't scavenge feed. So if you have to resort to that, you MAY have to move the prey item with forceps for it to eat if scavenge feeding is the only way it will be able to eat.

Also fortunate to have a large abdomen. My female always had a large one even after molting.

WJHolby

Arachnopeon
Update on Nemo:

It's been about three weeks since the molt disaster, and Nemo is still kicking... S/he is currently housed in a shallow deli container with a small leaf hide, a shallow water dish, and about 1" of sub. Movement is still okay but a little erratic/clumsy at times. Lots of webbing including what appears to be a mat/makeshift burrow. Looks to be staying hydrated.

Biggest concern now: Nutrition... I've tried pre-killed, wounded, and fully alive crickets and small dubia. Nemo runs away from the live ones, and shows no interest in the wounded or prekilled. The fangs still look good but I think s/he is a little gun-shy about grabbing prey with no palps and only one gimpy front leg.

Will s/he be able to molt and repair the damage without getting adequate food? ...Or am I headed for disaster on the next cycle due to malnourishment?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Cricket soup or the innards of waxworms/mealworms might be a better option. Just cut a worm and squeeze the innards out a little and place it close to the spider. Good to read it is still kicking :)