Hands down the best way to remove the glue from containers

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I discovered this while trying to remove the glue left behind from a label off of a 1 gallon container that I'm going to use to house an A .avic.. It worked great so I found another container to illustrate the before and after..

The whole process takes about five minutes is very easy and there are no chemicals that will harm your Tarantula..

Ps.. Sorry for the nail polish but it's all I had close that was bright just to show how much glue was left on this particular container and how clear it is after cleaning it..
20161011_215633.jpg 20161011_220816.jpg

Step 1- Fill the container with hot tap water and let it sit for about 2 minutes to heat up the glue and then dump the water being careful not to get the glue wet..

Step 2- pour some vegetable oil on to a paper towel untill its saturated and scrub the section with the glue pretty fast with firm pressure..

Step-3 Use hot water and a mild dishsoap(I used dawn) on a paper towel or cloth and scrub off the oil..

Thats it give it a shot because it works great!

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wish I would have read this sooner. I just removed 10 labels from some large jars using goo gone. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. I didn't wait long enough on the first one and it took some rubbing to get it all off but after that I let it soak on the paper towel overnight and it wiped right off with very little pressure. Used a little dawn dish soap and its all squeaky clean now. I'll remember the vegetable oil treatment in the future though.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wish I would have read this sooner. I just removed 10 labels from some large jars using goo gone. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. I didn't wait long enough on the first one and it took some rubbing to get it all off but after that I let it soak on the paper towel overnight and it wiped right off with very little pressure. Used a little dawn dish soap and its all squeaky clean now. I'll remember the vegetable oil treatment in the future though.
Sorry man! The great thing about this method other than ease is that as soon as your done you can put a T or whatever in it.. There are no harmful scents or residues..I decided to use the container in the pics to house my H.spinnifer and he is already settled in nicely..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good idea. Now, what kind of container is that? Lol

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry man! The great thing about this method other than ease is that as soon as your done you can put a T or whatever in it.. There are no harmful scents or residues..I decided to use the container in the pics to house my H.spinnifer and he is already settled in nicely..
I always leave the lid on the container so no chemicals get inside and then I rinse with lots of very hot water and lots of dawn when I am done and I have never had an issue using the containers right away. Still, your method removes all the concern. I'll definitely give it a try.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I might give this a try, seems easy enough.
In the past I've used the hair dryer set on high to soften the adhesive, then pull slowly.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My last label removal, I used a hair dryer. Worked like a charm.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought one to use primarily for electrical shrink tube. Slower than using a lighter but gives a better result.
if you don't have a hair dryer you can fill the container with hot water and it will warm up nicely. For small bits of adhesive that may remain simply press the peeled off label onto it and it usually comes off. For small bits of adhesive sometimes wrapping duct tape around your thumb (sticky side out of course) and using it like a lint roller or simply dabbing at it in an up and down manner sometimes works. I've used scotch tape and masking tape effectively as well.

A lot of these tricks depend on what kind of adhesive is uses. For glass jars a lot of the glue simply washes off in hot water most of the stuff used on plastics is a little tougher unfortunately and is not water soluble.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I discovered this while trying to remove the glue left behind from a label off of a 1 gallon container that I'm going to use to house an A .avic.. It worked great so I found another container to illustrate the before and after..

The whole process takes about five minutes is very easy and there are no chemicals that will harm your Tarantula..

Ps.. Sorry for the nail polish but it's all I had close that was bright just to show how much glue was left on this particular container and how clear it is after cleaning it..
View attachment 222303 View attachment 222304

Step 1- Fill the container with hot tap water and let it sit for about 2 minutes to heat up the glue and then dump the water being careful not to get the glue wet..

Step 2- pour some vegetable oil on to a paper towel untill its saturated and scrub the section with the glue pretty fast with firm pressure..

Step-3 Use hot water and a mild dishsoap(I used dawn) on a paper towel or cloth and scrub off the oil..

Thats it give it a shot because it works great!
This is interesting! I will definitely try this. I buy a food product in these perfect 16 oz deli cups. One label always comes off just fine, the other one is hit or miss.

I wonder why the oil takes off the glue??

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used that method also but I don't have a damn hair dryer! Lol..
Unfortunately I don't have much use for one. I just wave my hands over my head a few times and the slight breeze is usually enough to do the trick.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
WD40 and a rag wipes label residue off things amazingly well also.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I spent two damn hours yesterday rubbing stickers off 4 new containers.... wish I visited this forum earlier lmao.

Hurts@1st

Arachnopeon
One of the wineries I manage had glue traps for rodent control. The day I found a three foot king snake horrifically stuck to one was the last day the pest control company was allowed to use them at any of our properties.

When I attempted to remove the snake it became obvious the snake's skin would tear before the glue was going to release. I racked my brain for a solution and remembered the long haired girl in 3rd grade who had a massive wad of gum in her hair. The maintentance shop had peanut butter for mechanical rodent traps and I used the remainder of the jar to release a 1/3 of the king snake.

With 2/3rds of a snake still welded to the glue board I went to the tasting room and helped myself to a $60 bottle of olive oil. $30 worth of that sweet coldpressed first run evoo later and the snake was finally free. After two warm water Dawn Soap showers the snake was good as new and released 100 yards up the canyon.

A quick google search just now didn't produce an explanation for why oil releases glue but there is a certain California King Snake with a new lease on life who can assure you it does.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
why oil releases glue
I can't remember the exact chemical term for this. Anti-cohesive? Anyway, certain substances, commonly oils, fill the molecular voids and creep onto the skin similar to how emollients work, making the skin undesirable as a bonding surface.
This same process can be used for many glued screw ups. One flat out amazing one is Marvel Mystery oil vs super glue. A minute or two and your fingers seemingly permanently bonded to the refrigerator come free. This process is used a lot in emergency rooms. If memory serves, glycerin works very well for certain sticky substances.

Memories of a pair of ~2 year old siblings extremely well super glued to each other and our very kind and gentle pediatrician Ted H. calmly applying the oil while singing nursery rhymes to the kids.

Last edited: