HANDLING!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucejeffcott

Arachnopeon
I know this handling thing makes so much debate... I'm tired of it!!!
If you have a docile species that has a good home and will "tolerate" you messing with it and or holding it. Then it obviously isn't stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If it doesn't want you picking it up it will tell you!!!!! that's how easy it is. Its not complicated like people make it to be. If you did a crappy job raising it or it plain don't like captivity you have bigger problems then wanting to handle it. Point being...... it will let you or it wont. They have been around for millions of years without us deciding if it wants to walk on something.
I WILL WARN despite the fact I'm not against handling.... BE CAREFUL!! A fall from less then 3 feet can be fatal!
I have also had docile Ts that are suppose to be sweet hearts and will readily let me pick them up and clean the cage, whatever. Then next week or month they are demons. So that is the only other thing I have to say about handling is "knowing" your tarantula, this ones for newbees who really want to handle. Be patient, and observant but the same rule as above! if it lets you it lets you... you will not stress it out if it lets you!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
The problem is that, while I agree that many docile T's will allow you to handle them, their attitude can change at a moment's notice. You may have a calm NW one second, then make a small movement or shift and they can become defensive while on you. Tarantulas are animals that don't need or even want handling. They are purely instinctual, so any minor mistake and they could take off, bite, or flick hairs all in a few seconds. Personally, I don't think it's worth purposefully taking out a T to handle. If my B. emelia tried to walk out of her enclosure while rehousing, I may have her walk on and off my hand into her new enclosure, but that's about it. I have no idea how I'd react to being bitten, I could hurt or kill a T for trying to handle it. I think you really need to know your specimen and do it only when "necessary" if at all. Despite that though, my B. emelia IS an on/off demon all the time. Overall, I have no idea what would set off my T's when handling, but I'd never really risk hurting any T due to a knee-jerk reaction from a bite or hairs. Only my opinion though ;)

Last edited:

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
The only thing I say about handling any pet is if you hurt it in the process you are an <edit> and you should be as adamant about admitting your fault as you are about defending handling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The excessive use of exclamation marks does not make your post more true or reasonable.
Handling means putting your spider at risk for the sole purpose of watching it walk on your hands.
There is nothing complicated or debatable about it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you did a crappy job raising it...
This bit alone shows just how much you know about tarantulas. Please don't attempt to be the voice of reason if you don't understand basic tarantula cognition.

For the record, I actually do agree with a good chunk of what you said. Handling isn't evil, at least not in my eyes. Selfish, sure, but so is this entire hobby. I choose not to handle, but I can't say I care too much if people handle NW tarantulas. So long as they understand the possible consequences of course.

Perhaps just pose your argument in a more... fluent manner next time.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
If you have a docile species that has a good home and will "tolerate" you messing with it and or holding it. Then it obviously isn't stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If it doesn't want you picking it up it will tell you!!!!!
Time for some clear words it seems.

First of all, I'm always open for a good debate about whatever. But in your case I'd argue it's pointless, since you obviously lack the most basic knowledge in regards of the topic, yet you open this can of worms!

So instead of starting a debate you just said you're tired of (!?), ask for some books or articles to read.

Win/win for everyone involved.

PS: Your incredible hostile tone right off the bat isn't really constructive either, no matter the topic!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Handling isn't necessary except in very few, and rare, cases. But a lot of things we do when it comes to life isn't necessary. Owning any pet isn't necessary. I don't need 22 reptiles. I don't need dogs. I don't need a hedgehog.

It's just better to say, "I'm going to handle my tarantulas sometimes" and leave it at that. A rant about handling doesn't do much except make you look defensive, as if you feel you ARE doing something wrong.

Tarantulas sometimes end up on me. It happens. I just try to coax them back into their enclosure, but if they appear to be not defensive, I'll take the opportunity to snap some photos.

I take my E. sp. "Red" to outreach programs with children. She is handled there, by me, and by adult and kids, and frankly, I can't keep her in her enclosure. If the lid is off, she is out. She's kind of a brat that way. That of course is me joking... tarantulas can't be brats as they lack the cognitive function to purposefully act out. (Which also means they can't be "raised right," as if they are a dog you've trained). She's just being a spider in her own spidery way. She could bite me. She could bite a kid.

There are plenty of people who will say I'm doing something wrong. I disagree. I do outreach with inverts and snakes on a monthly basis and I see the positive impact it has on people, kids in particular. My snakes, lizards, or inverts could bite someone, or me. The society I do outreach with has insurance for a reason. But a kid could also have half their face bit off by a dog at a pet adoption event (and I feel that's more likely to happen than my ball python or sand boa or E. sp. "Red" gnawing on someone). Animals are never 100% predictable though.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
If you have a docile species that has a good home and will "tolerate" you messing with it and or holding it. Then it obviously isn't stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If it doesn't want you picking it up it will tell you!!!!! that's how easy it is. Its not complicated like people make it to be. If you did a crappy job raising it or it plain don't like captivity you have bigger problems then wanting to handle it. Point being...... it will let you or it wont. They have been around for millions of years without us deciding if it wants to walk on something.
I WILL WARN despite the fact I'm not against handling.... BE CAREFUL!! A fall from less then 3 feet can be fatal!
I have also had docile Ts that are suppose to be sweet hearts and will readily let me pick them up and clean the cage, whatever. Then next week or month they are demons. So that is the only other thing I have to say about handling is "knowing" your tarantula, this ones for newbees who really want to handle. Be patient, and observant but the same rule as above! if it lets you it lets you... you will not stress it out if it lets you!
As @EulersK highlighted, what do you mean by doing a bad job of raising a T?
Yes you can do a bad job of keeping a T but surly that's different?
Personally I'm against handling, the T gets nothing out of it, if it all goes wrong it ends in tears.
The only time I would possibly agree with it may be for educational purposes.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
If you have a docile species that has a good home and will "tolerate" you
The spiders home does not have anything to do with wether it will tolerate being held. It's got a tiny brain, and behaves purely on instinct, a docile T could turn defensive like the flip of a switch. Do you really want to take that chance while it's crawling up your arm?

Not to mention you have nothing to gain out of handling and everything to lose. You would put your animals at risk,yourself and any family members you live with if things go wrong, all to promote a dying trend? Hobbyists know better now a days. Check out the bite reports, they should refresh your point of view on this matter.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mr. !!!!!!!!! luver you forgot to mention a fact:
the supposed 'beginner-friendly' & "docile" und "calmer" e "whatnot" Theraphosidae aren't an 'apart league': aren't out of the wise fact that every Theraphosidae is a predator, unpredictable eight legged and that temperament varies always, no matter the general consensus about a certain genus at 360°

I have a female G.pulchripes and she's pretty high strung (and I know what I mean for high strung, since I deal with Africans and Scolopendridae) but maybe she will tolerate "handling". How I know this? Simple: I don't know this.

"you" can handle an 'OBT' and nothing happens. "You" can handle a B.smithi and end with a dead spider.

Because no one and I say no one is able to read inside such animals brain. No one and I say no one is able to 100% predict what can happens once they are out of their enclosure-home and in hands.

If you want to handle, then handle, but don't pretend that people drink that stuff like fresh lemonade in Summer :-s

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The excessive use of exclamation marks does not make your post more true or reasonable.
What???????????? All these years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing it wrong for so long...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111ONEONEONEONEONE :anxious:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm going to go home and take a nap after work, hmmm I'm pretty sure I raised my Ts right so maybe I'll tuck 'em in with me and we can all snuggle! My bed is less than 3 feet from the floor so it should be fine. Thanks for the info, OP! I'm feeling inspired! My B. boehmei is going to LOVE this! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :troll:

Last edited:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I'm going to go home and take a nap after work, hmmm I'm pretty sure I raised my Ts right so maybe I'll tuck 'em in with me and we can all snuggle! My bed is less than 3 feet from the floor so it should be fine. Thanks for the info, OP! I'm feeling inspired! My B. boehmei is going to LOVE this! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :troll:
I wish I could say that. Mine are out partying all night and sleep all day. They never want to spend any time with me. I don't know where I went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.