Handling T's for Photoshoots?

boina

Lady of the mites
Exactly why I feel I don't belong here. They're not my trophies. They're living creatures.

My background is in biology.
So is mine. What kind of argument is that? There's quite a lot of biological talk around here. What are you even saying?

I don't like handling. I will tell any teen/young adult who wants to handle exactly and clearly why that is. I do like photos and I've manipulated spiders for photos countless times - with plenty of safty precautions. Most people around here are actually able to see things differentiated and nuanced, but of course you will get the extreme views, too - this is an internet forum, after all. Controversy is part of every discussion - no need to feel victimized.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Honestly, in my last post I wrote a paragraph at the start saying how at least you have a reason to want to handle/put your T on people, and a goal in mind other than just showing off. Suggesting you weigh up the risks and rewards to get your awesome photos and make a decision. But as I wrote more and thought about it more, I just didn't buy that the situation is different anyone else wanting to handle, and the same logic could just be applied to anyone who wants to pick up a tarantula. So I deleted the first paragraph.

At the end of the day it's your T and you can do what you want, so weigh up the risks and do what you feel is right, but the opinions here are based on sound reasons and are in the best interest of your pet and the hobby as a whole.

As for not belonging here, I'm with everyone else when I say this is just a debate and not a personal attack on you at all. You just have to accept that you wont win everyone over when it comes to handling.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
If you absolutely must handle, I think most of us would agree that Homoeomma chilensis is the most suitable species. However they are still extremely vulnerable to fall damage, and like any T, they can get startled and move very quickly.

Personally I would absolutely not want to handle any of my spiders except my H. chilensis (and I don't make a habit of that) - I get nervous just having the enclosure lids off for photos. Although they're all NW terrestrials on the calmer side, I've seen them all teleport. Case in point: my subadult T. albo is pretty chill but she got spooked during a rehouse and made it up my arm and down my back before I could blink.