Handling tarantulas

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I’m starting to run through the stroke checklist every time I read one of these.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Basically the most you can do to avoid harm to the tarantula while handling is to avoid fall risk. Keep things low to the ground, preferably over a soft surface.

Ideally it wiuld also be in a clutter free, sealed room in case the T. runs off.

Keep catch cups handy. If things don’t go as planned, (it gets spooked, you get spooked, etc) you probably don’t want your hands near it any more so you need to have the proper tools available to control the situation.

Avoid sudden movements. The T getting startled will not help the situation in anybway, so avoid doing anything to startle it, such as rapid movements or breathing on it.

make sure you are either alone, or with somebody who will be calm and collected if the T decides not to cooperate. You don’t want somebody with a smash it reflex to kill your T.

Expect things not to go right, and mentally force yourself NOT to react with a reflexive jerk or twitch if the T. surprises you. Ts arent made ti fly and an accidental twitch can send one soaring.

Don’t just grab the T. Put your hand in the ground a little way away and then encourage the tarantula to walk onto it. This *should* be the least likely way to get yourself hurt (resulting in flying T. See above)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
When I need to handle my T's I place my hands firmly on the opposite sides of their enclosure and lift, then place the enclosure where I want it ;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
When is somebody going to create a meme using a screen shot of Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson from "A few Good Men"?
"I want to handle a tarantula!"
"You can't HANDLE a tarantula!"

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
First fill your pockets with crickets and then just let your T's rave all over you. Party time :clown:

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Well, here is my two cents on this subject.... I am not a newbie nor an expert. I had a "tarantula ranch" about 25 years ago and practiced successful husbandry and breeding. Probably had 7 or 8 different species. The "baddest" I owned was a BIG female King Baboon. Amazing and beautiful spider with super aggressive personality. Just a couple months ago, I purchased three T's to introduce my 6 yr old Grandson to the fascination. We now have a boehmi, GBB, and a stirmi or blondi (not sure!) My philosophy was and always will be is to NOT handle our 'pet" tarantulas. I have taught my Grandson by asking would you hold a fish from the aquarium? Would you hold you "pet" Oscar? It seems generally people that casually (without a specific outcome in mind) handle their tarantulas lack tetestrone, do not care about their Tarantulas, or simply want to show off. I DO NOT believe tarantulas will ever be "tame" or used to handling no matter how much it is done...Just my humble opinion.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
I cant physically stop you from doing it so ill give you tips on how to reduce risk.

do it in an open but sealed room and keep your T under a foot off the ground preferably over a soft surface

DO NOT BREATH BREATHE ON YOUR T IT WILL GO FROM CALM TO BALLISTIC

have a catchcup at the ready and maybe someone else to help get the T off of you if the situation goes south

mentally prepare yourself and hold your arm still as if you anticipate to be bitten, we dont want to create a T space program now do we

dont be a moron and handle something like a stromatopelma, that situation cant end any other way than an escaped or dead T and a trip to the hospital.

dont make sudden movements

dont grab any part of your t, be it leg or otherwise,

Last edited:

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
It seems generally people that casually handle their tarantulas lack tetestrone, do not care about their Tarantulas, or simply want to show off

No, it is because there is a small Palpatine's voice in their head saying: "dew it!"

That is exactly what happens (and the most logical reason I found).

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side...

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
No, it is because there is a small Palpatine's voice in their head saying: "dew it!"

That is exactly what happens (and the most logical reason I found).

Do not underestimate the power of the dark sid

LOL! Good stuff! I cannot attest that I have always avoided the dark side in my days, however, handling tarantulas will never "turn me" on that one! I know they are simple invertebrates, but to me, handling is just not fair to the T....