handling tarantula's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad topic to start.. There is alot of opinions on handling..

Some do.. Some dont.. Some like to.. Some feels it will stress the critter to much..

I am sure everyone here.. EVERYONE.... Has at one point in their time in the hobby held a tarantula.. Be it.. They wanted to or it shot out of its enclosure.. During the time they rehomed it or whatever reason..

I have.. I use to handle my rosea every day.. Back when i started in the hobby.. Do I now? No... I choose not to for many reasons.. 1) I dont want to drop it.. 2) I dont want it to get loose & hide somewhere I cant get to it.. 3) I dont feel like risking a bite from my critters.. Not because I am afraid of the bite or the venom.. But because I dont want the critter to accidently break a fang or whatever might happen.. 4) I dont see any reason to disturb my critters from their everyday lay around life they have..

This is my choice.. My opinion.. Others differ..

Get ready for a flood of other opinions..

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I choose not to because, (quote) "1) I dont want to drop it.. 2) I dont want it to get loose & hide somewhere I cant get to it.. 3) I dont feel like risking a bite from my critters.. Not because I am afraid of the bite or the venom.. But because I dont want the critter to accidently break a fang or whatever might happen.. 4) I dont see any reason to disturb my critters from their everyday lay around life they have.." I actually love handling them, though. Only when rehousing and unpacking them. I'd rather take a risk at that point. It's so fun to hold them!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad topic to start.. There is alot of opinions on handling..

Some do.. Some dont.. Some like to.. Some feels it will stress the critter to much..

I am sure everyone here.. EVERYONE.... Has at one point in their time in the hobby held a tarantula.. Be it.. They wanted to or it shot out of its enclosure.. During the time they rehomed it or whatever reason..

I have.. I use to handle my rosea every day.. Back when i started in the hobby.. Do I now? No... I choose not to for many reasons.. 1) I dont want to drop it.. 2) I dont want it to get loose & hide somewhere I cant get to it.. 3) I dont feel like risking a bite from my critters.. Not because I am afraid of the bite or the venom.. But because I dont want the critter to accidently break a fang or whatever might happen.. 4) I dont see any reason to disturb my critters from their everyday lay around life they have..

This is my choice.. My opinion.. Others differ..

Get ready for a flood of other opinions..
Read the bold.. ;) As I said.. Others have their opinions.... :razz:
Which is cool.. Thats what you like.. They are your critters..
As I said.. I choose not to.. I dont even handle during the times I rehouse mine.. I cup them all.. :cool:

I actually love handling them, though. Only when rehousing and unpacking them. I'd rather take a risk at that point. It's so fun to hold them!

jturek123

Arachnopeon
Im still fairly new to the hobby, but I love to hold my T's. If their obviously not in the mood then so be it. As long as they keep tolerating me ill continue holding them.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the past couple years I've only handled two of them. My A. avic and GBB,once each. Neither of them seemed stressed at any point. I would handle them more but I prefer not to risk injury to them or myself. Plus, handling, that's what my leopard gecko is for! =P

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not trying to be rude but i suggest you utilize the search function and look up old threads about handling instead of creating a new one, you are just going to get the same rehashed debate as the last person and stir up certain persons here that have strong opinions on this matter.

i've given my opinion on this topic more than once, and have actually changed its since the multitude of these threads have came and gone...

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haven't handled any of mines. They're all a little skittish and fast and there's no open space at my place.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Mon dieu, mes amis, why does every innocent request have to become a war of words on this forum?!

not trying to be rude but i suggest you utilize the search function and look up old threads about handling instead of creating a new one, you are just going to get the same rehashed debate as the last person and stir up certain persons here that have strong opinions on this matter.

i've given my opinion on this topic more than once, and have actually changed its since the multitude of these threads have came and gone...
I'm not trying to be rude either, but the very wording of this response tells me that renewed, updated, and continued discussion is a very good thing, especially on a controversial subject that involves hands-on experience, and where minds can be changed.

Personally I would be very interested to know what you're opinion was, what it is, what changed it and why. It's the kind of informative commentary that we come to the forum to read about and learn from. However, that is a discussion for another thread (in my opinion) ...

WAKE UP CALL EVERYBODY - please re-read Death Stinger's post - it isn't a request for debate/discussion/opinions/lectures/condescension/hostility/vitriol/hubris - it's a simple yes-or-no question, and I'll repeat it here:

have you ever try handling your pet tarantula's even once before?

My answer: a resounding YES.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mon dieu, mes amis, why does every innocent request have to become a war of words on this forum?!

I'm not trying to be rude either, but the very wording of this response tells me that renewed, updated, and continued discussion is a very good thing, especially on a controversial subject that involves hands-on experience, and where minds can be changed.

Personally I would be very interested to know what you're opinion was, what it is, what changed it and why. It's the kind of informative commentary that we come to the forum to read about and learn from. However, that is a discussion for another thread (in my opinion) ...

WAKE UP CALL EVERYBODY - please re-read Death Stinger's post - it isn't a request for debate/discussion/opinions/lectures/condescension/hostility/vitriol/hubris - it's a simple yes-or-no question, and I'll repeat it here:

My answer: a resounding YES.

If we only respond Yes or No, then this thread wouldnt have much of a point, and is also very self explainatory. There are thousands of hobysts out there, thousands of pictures
handling spiders. So yes, of course people handle them.
People is trying to let him know that There are tons of threads regarding this.
No need for any hostility neither wake up calls :).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So post in a thread that already exists.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have re-stated my point beautifully and succinctly. Thank you.
No I haven't, you're just interpreting my post to mean something it doesn't.

Posting in this thread because it already exists was most certainly not my point, so I will be more clear:

The OP (or anyone who has a question or information about their handling experiences) should have posted in a thread that already exists intead of starting a new one.

Better?

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am seeing a pattern here... No matter what anyone says, does or posts, someones going to make a headache out of it. Someones going to make an argument, and its going end with heated words. Maybe from this point on, if you have to start a sentence with "dont take this the wrong way", or "not to be rude", then maybe you should keep the comment to yourself?

Heres what I mean. Someone asks a question, and you feel its stupid, so you respond "well not to be rude, and dont take this the wrong way, but your question reflects on you as a hobbyist" right after you A) answer his question, B)just finish telling him how stupid his question was. Um, sure, call them stupid, try to sound nice about it, and expect them to not take offense. Telling someone "dont take this the wrong way" or "not to be rude" when clearly you DID mean it that way, and you WERE being rude.

So maybe we should stop "flaming" people, and if you even start to type, or feel the need to tell someone "not to take offence", or "dont take this the wrong way", stop, and think, "If I have to explain that I am not being rude, maybe I should just keep my comment to myself." Just as with when someone posts their opinion, or questions, and someone else argues it, or answers them, someone might say something THEY dont think is offensive, but someone else might find it offensive.

Also, as for this "this is posted in the wrong section", STOP. This site isn't easy to navigate when you first come on it, especially if your not familiar with forums. PM them and tell them or something, dont put it in the post, its completely unrelated, and unnecessary. Not too mention, people arent always going to know exactly where they need to look when they do advanced searches. People have to learn somehow, stop crucifying them every time they make a mistake, or do something you dont like.

Just a thought though...

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am seeing a pattern here... No matter what anyone says, does or posts, someones going to make a headache out of it. Someones going to make an argument, and its going end with heated words. Maybe from this point on, if you have to start a sentence with "dont take this the wrong way", or "not to be rude", then maybe you should keep the comment to yourself?

Heres what I mean. Someone asks a question, and you feel its stupid, so you respond "well not to be rude, and dont take this the wrong way, but your question reflects on you as a hobbyist" right after you A) answer his question, B)just finish telling him how stupid his question was. Um, sure, call them stupid, try to sound nice about it, and expect them to not take offense. Telling someone "dont take this the wrong way" or "not to be rude" when clearly you DID mean it that way, and you WERE being rude.

So maybe we should stop "flaming" people, and if you even start to type, or feel the need to tell someone "not to take offence", or "dont take this the wrong way", stop, and think, "If I have to explain that I am not being rude, maybe I should just keep my comment to myself." Just as with when someone posts their opinion, or questions, and someone else argues it, or answers them, someone might say something THEY dont think is offensive, but someone else might find it offensive.

Also, as for this "this is posted in the wrong section", STOP. This site isn't easy to navigate when you first come on it, especially if your not familiar with forums. PM them and tell them or something, dont put it in the post, its completely unrelated, and unnecessary. People have to learn somehow, stop crucifying people every time they make a mistake, or do something you dont like.

Just a thought though...

Just another thought;

Thats the "job" of the moderators. If you dont like what you see or what people posts, dont post.
Moderators are the ones who will act accordingly if someone gets out of line.
Very simple.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If we only respond Yes or No, then this thread wouldnt have much of a point, and is also very self explainatory.

No need for any hostility neither wake up calls :).
LOL - but I am a little sleepy Fran {D

Wait a sec. :? You guys don't Ask for Discussion on Topic :? That IMO, is just what starting this Thread, and your Post, is implying {let's ask OP} :cool: But, maybe I am still 2 sleepy 2 follow your line-of-thinking :p *Injesting Coffee*

Soooooo.......YES, I Hold most of my T's, and do Not pretend that they like it.....although I feel that it stimulates them some, like Human Conversations :p

Oh WAIT! I meant 2 reply simply: YES. :D

Blayde: Yeah.....Human "civilization" has had enough CRUCIFICTIONS already. {Not meant in Offensive way} *Tee-Hee*

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If thats the job of the moderators, when are they going to step in and do it? When are they going to stop people from acting so rude and superior, treating every new person like a moron? Dont shift responsibility.

Almost every thread turns into this, and you say "well its the moderators jobs to fix it". Oh ok, I get it now, no one is responsible for their actions on here ? So because its the internet, you can all act out, and say whatever you please, and its up to someone else to watch over and make sure its not rude, or offensive... wait a minute... This sounds familiar... eh, nevermind... back on subject. Take responsibility for your actions. Dont sit their and expect someone else to clean up the mess, because thats what EVERYONE is doing. The moderators either dont care, or just aren't there, either way, the only thing that seems to get a reaction is direct swearing. I doubt they search every post, everyday, looking for every insult or offensive post.

It honestly bothers me that you would argue that, Fran. So far you seem to be one of the bigger players in this whole shift. You only say that because you weren't offended, and you dont have to deal with it. If someone took a stab at your intelligence, or called your question stupid, I know you would be up in arms in a heartbeat.

Just grow up. Remember when your parents said "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"? Try it. There is no reason for you to have to tell someone your not trying to be rude, because you clearly know its going to come off as rude when your doing it. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU SAY. Its kind of sad that you expect other people to make sure your not saying anything wrong. It really reflects on you as a person, and I mean that as it sounds. Rude or not, its true, your simply saying "I dont want to because its someone else's job". Yup, thats mature alright. Well, news flash: People dont always do their job, and moderating a forum I doubt is one of their top priorities. They have lives and things to deal with outside of this forum.

All I am simply saying: If your going to be rude, dont bother saying anything. If you think its going to come across as rude, your probably right, And if your going to say something, Be responsible in making sure your not being rude. Word it different, or just dont say anything, but stop being rude, and then trying to say your not.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If thats the job of the moderators, when are they going to step in and do it? When are they going to stop people from acting so rude and superior, treating every new person like a moron? Dont shift responsibility.

Almost every thread turns into this, and you say "well its the moderators jobs to fix it". Oh ok, I get it now, no one is responsible for their actions on here ? So because its the internet, you can all act out, and say whatever you please, and its up to someone else to watch over and make sure its not rude, or offensive... wait a minute... This sounds familiar... eh, nevermind... back on subject. Take responsibility for your actions. Dont sit their and expect someone else to clean up the mess, because thats what EVERYONE is doing. The moderators either dont care, or just aren't there, either way, the only thing that seems to get a reaction is direct swearing. I doubt they search every post, everyday, looking for every insult or offensive post.

It honestly bothers me that you would argue that, Fran. So far you seem to be one of the bigger players in this whole shift. You only say that because you weren't offended, and you dont have to deal with it. If someone took a stab at your intelligence, or called your question stupid, I know you would be up in arms in a heartbeat.

Just grow up. Remember when your parents said "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"? Try it. There is no reason for you to have to tell someone your not trying to be rude, because you clearly know its going to come off as rude when your doing it. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU SAY. Its kind of sad that you expect other people to make sure your not saying anything wrong. It really reflects on you as a person, and I mean that as it sounds. Rude or not, its true, your simply saying "I dont want to because its someone else's job". Yup, thats mature alright. Well, news flash: People dont always do their job, and moderating a forum I doubt is one of their top priorities. They have lives and things to deal with outside of this forum.

All I am simply saying: If your going to be rude, dont bother saying anything. If you think its going to come across as rude, your probably right, And if your going to say something, Be responsible in making sure your not being rude. Word it different, or just dont say anything, but stop being rude, and then trying to say your not.

Discussing moderation or moderator job in public, I believe is against the rules.
Go look it up.

oh, no one was being rude, so no need for crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.