Handling Selenotypus?

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys,

I got my first T a few weeks ago, a Selenotypus plumipes. Needless to say, I've seen enough to say I'm glad I'm into the hobby!:) As an old world tarantula, Aussie T's have a reputation of being defensive, even though mine has shown no sign of aggression and is currently small. What I wanted to know was what method I would use to handle her if she escaped or when she has to be moved to another tank? I've read some of the other posts on handling here, but they seem to be more concerned with more docile species (perhaps for good reason ;) )

Brett

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always use the same method for both docile and defensive species, which is the cup method. You've probably seen that one on here a dozen different times, but it always works for me. The defensive ones just tend to be a little more jumpy and can make your heart rate quicken from time to time. But once you do it a few times, everything becomes 2nd nature to you. Good luck!

Brett

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just use a container, put that over them and slide paper under, thats if they are on a flat surface, when you are transporting them just use something to nudge them into a holding container and move them where needed. where in aus are you?

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in Wollongong, which is about an hour south of Sydney. The cup method, that is the one where you place your finger on the carapace and then cup your hand round the legs right? I ask about in the event of an escape because she actually did escape and was hiding underneath my blanket{D . Mum was not impressed...

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The "cup" method they are referring to is actually using a plastic cup and placing it over the tarantula. You then slide something flat gently under the cup to secure the tarantula inside the cup. Works very well from what I've been told.

-Waxen