handling scorps

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know you shouldnt really handle them just to be safe, but let's be honest...if you have a Pimperator-it's getting handled because they are docile beasties. and cute in their own arachnoidal way.

i would prolly not handle my Hadrurus, although someone posted on here that their HA was the most docile scorp they had...:?

my question is, how often do you guys handle your Pimps? mine hiss at me like wild pitscorps when i re-arrange their enclosure/change water dish etc. ( i have a mature male and an almost mature female...5I maybe?) the female is even gnarlier than the male...she puts up way more defensive posture than he does.

i would like to be able to handle them more...maybe once or twice a week.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my question is, how often do you guys handle your Pimps?
Only once each. When I am purchasing a scorp, to sex it. I find it quicker and easier and less stressfull for a scorp to lift directly into a clear container, photograph it and put it back. then use photo on camera to do the rest. I am competent at handling my scorps but they just don't like it, so I don't bother.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i know you shouldnt really handle them just to be safe, but let's be honest...if you have a Pimperator-it's getting handled because they are docile beasties. and cute in their own arachnoidal way.

i would prolly not handle my Hadrurus, although someone posted on here that their HA was the most docile scorp they had...:?

my question is, how often do you guys handle your Pimps? mine hiss at me like wild pitscorps when i re-arrange their enclosure/change water dish etc. ( i have a mature male and an almost mature female...5I maybe?) the female is even gnarlier than the male...she puts up way more defensive posture than he does.

i would like to be able to handle them more...maybe once or twice a week.
I have a H. a. pallidus that is as gentle and handable as a typical Emp but I would not likely check many other Desert Hairies for the same temperment. My other Hadrurus frequently scampers around in the "Hadrurus posture" and ready to sting at the smallest provocation.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would only handle them out of necessity... purchases, sexing, packing for shipping, tank changes, checking for possible health issues (mites mycosis etc)

It is at those opportunities I would take my videos them.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My pimp slaps me around alot, and calls me "Ho" at every opportunity....oh...wait...I getcha...scorpions...sorry...

My girl seems to actually want] to be handled sometimes. I'll often be refilling the water dish, or checking for cricket molts and some such, and she'll come out of her hide and right over to my hand (and often right on over my hand in the process). She's never really shied away much, unless I disturb her when she's eating, or just wants to hide away.

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think handling them once a week for inspection should be within reason then...

i cant inspect for mites without doing this as they never come out of their hides...

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pimperators arent subject to mycosis are they?

how the heck do you see it??

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I take the opportunity to handle my emp about twice a year when I'm cleaning substrate, it's mostly just to reaquaint myself with how neat it is that this big black 'bug', that could inflict a fair amount of pain if it wanted to, is docile enouph to crawl around on my hand for a minute before I put her back.

Other than that, when new people come around, if they are especially unnerved by them I will take her out and show them that a yippy little chuaha poses a greater danger. And I always make sure to point out the fact that the scorpion will never get into the litter box then breathe on your face.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I take the opportunity to handle my emp about twice a year when I'm cleaning substrate, it's mostly just to reaquaint myself with how neat it is that this big black 'bug', that could inflict a fair amount of pain if it wanted to, is docile enouph to crawl around on my hand for a minute before I put her back.

Other than that, when new people come around, if they are especially unnerved by them I will take her out and show them that a yippy little chuaha poses a greater danger. And I always make sure to point out the fact that the scorpion will never get into the litter box then breathe on your face.
That's excellent way to break down the barriers and remove any unnecessary potential for arachnophobia. It is realizing not everyone is registering the beautiful dynamics of these wonderful creatures (and the natural world) but are battered by complete incomprehesion of scorpions, possible blind revulsion, and irrational fears. EDIT: An emp and similar species are excellent tools to share the hobby with others. Gentle finesse and keeping on hand a few simple facts too.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen pictures of heavy mycosis in P.imperator and other tropical species. I believe on this board somewhere. ;)

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last edited:

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B.Jacksoni? i would be scared...irrational i guess...the scorp in your vid is very chill and docile.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a couple of species that I am not the least concerned by getting stung by than there is species I will refuse to move without safety barriers and/or tweezers or hemostats.

Simply grab tail usually mid length or higher and give tweezers or hemostats a minute crank (clockwise or counterwise motion depending how you grab purchase of the scorpion's tail and whether you're left, right, ambidexterous handed) into the posterior direction of the said scorpion's tail (i.e. like a key in a car's ignition only far more subtley and short). Keeps them dangling calm and behaving and decreases nasty tail thrashings.

EDIT: By a gentle action resembling hyperextension of the tail but ensuring the scorpion no injury.

Last edited:

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My scorps are generally very ill tempered for whatever reason (perhaps because it is nice and warm in my room?) so I do not handle them unless I need to for cleaning. Recently, when I had to move them all into their upgraded environments, I simply chased each onto a cloth laid in the cage, then bundled them up and unfurled them into the new environment. Nasty little Rancor kept trying to sting the foreceps when I chased him onto the cloth - what a rotten critter!

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My scorps are generally very ill tempered for whatever reason (perhaps because it is nice and warm in my room?) so I do not handle them unless I need to for cleaning. Recently, when I had to move them all into their upgraded environments, I simply chased each onto a cloth laid in the cage, then bundled them up and unfurled them into the new environment. Nasty little Rancor kept trying to sting the foreceps when I chased him onto the cloth - what a rotten critter!

thats a good way to handle them safely without danger to you or inadvertent harm to them...thanks for the technique!

i have just been grabbing my Emps by the tail gently to lift them out of the tank...

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thats a good way to handle them safely without danger to you or inadvertent harm to them...thanks for the technique!

i have just been grabbing my Emps by the tail gently to lift them out of the tank...
If one is not allergic you can also simply walk an emp onto your hand but avoid height this is a big heavy scorpion with a 3-5 foot drop could seriously injure.

I love the 8" hemostats and 8" tweezers offered by LLL Reptile under Reptile Husbandry Tools, the tweezers have fixed rubber tips. Very nice and utilatarian, inexpensive, and ship fast.

Last edited:

DjThugs

Arachnopeon
i recently purchased 2 asian forest blacks...i am wondering if i should want to pick them up to have a feel of them..what is the safest way to do it?

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i recently purchased 2 asian forest blacks...i am wondering if i should want to pick them up to have a feel of them..what is the safest way to do it?
I asume you mean "to get a feel for them. If you mean to get comfortable with handling them then yes, there may come a time when you have to handle your scorp (such as when you see it running for the bedroom door). Go to you tube and search for thaedion's vids to see how he does it. When first lifting them only do so briefly and not with too much hight, and keep them over their enclosure in case you panick and drop 'em.:D

Good luck

Damo