Handling salmon

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
has anyone ever handeled their Salmon pinks or Usumbara Ts and how

Last edited:

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
I've handled my parahybana before, it's not much different than my rosie, but then again mine hasn't been all that defensive. I haven't tried with my usambara, it's just too mean. How big are yours?

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have only handled some 2 4/5" parahybanas. Just letting them crawl on to my hand and let them crawl up my arms and stuff :)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
right now i have one really small L. parahybana from the contest and one half inch Usumbara (courtesy of Jeff Cohen) i handeled both so far i also regularly hold my rosie so its basically the same just 3 times the size and weight?

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by longbord1
has anyone evre handeled there Salmon pinks or Usumbara Ts and how
Usumbara i would not reccomend holding unless you wanna get bit by a nasty bite, and L.Parahybana i wouldnt reccomend holding either unless there hairs dont effect you,i know usumbaras are quick to bite it messed with parahybanas flick hairs occasionally will throw up a threat posture why dont you try it and tell us what happens:D jk dont do that

Sean

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is possible to handle a lot of different T's, though it's not a good idea with some. Whether or not they will tolerate being handled depends upon the individual spider. Spiderlings of most species usually don't try to bite from what I've seen, and would rather run from you than be defensive. The attitude of the usambara will probably change as it grows, and it's probably best to not handle that one. I've handled my L. parahybana, but she's usually ready to give me a good dose of her hairs. She doesn't have a bad attitude, she's just really nervous.

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have anyone noticed any difference in parahybana behavior/defensivenes/aggression depending on it's sex?

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I handle my L. parahybana on occasion, Walter. He's about 6 inches now and I definately have to be on my toes. He throws a threat posture and is surprisingly fast.
When there is no threat posture, I nudge him up and over the rim of the enclosure onto my hand. This is where it can get nerve wracking! He's quick and unpredictable. Once he is there, he'll cruise around and I have to rotate my hands and arms. I'm not sensitive at all to the hairs (never been affected) but getting him back into the enclosure is tough. I have to nudge him from my hand and more often than not, he get's bent about me nudging him. When he throws a threat posture while sitting in my hand I start to sweat a bit!
I think that you really have to know what to expect from your T...(not that that is entirely reliable.)
As for my P. murinus...I started to toss around the idea of handling her. She seemed a little slower and didn't go too crazy when I got near her with tongs or something.
THEN she molted. NOW she is evil.
If something that moves touches her webbing she starts striking at everything that looks like a shadow and doesn't quit for more than 5 minutes. I've decided to leave her alone no matter how cool I would think I was for handling her. :)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are u allergic to poison ivy im not if u aren't also then i might night be affected by the hairs

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i just had to transfer my parahybana

into a larger container...and getting it on my hand wasnt hard..but getting it off, sure was. It postured, ran up my arm...and the more I tried to get it to go in the direction of the container, the more it refused and would go the other way. I used a playing card (closest handy thing) to corral it to the substrate...and it still went over the card and back onto my hand..finally gave up and went the direction I wanted it to.
The hairs dont bother me (unless i am breathing them), and I AM allergic to poison ivy...

But the b. smithi hairs mess me up. I sneeze and cough and itch and am just generally miserable whenever i so much as give the smithi fresh water.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Parahybana / Difficilis differences?

Allright - if you can handle your parahybana, what about a difficilis?

Similar species......the reason I ask is, I really want to handle mine, but am too much of a puss to actually do it to date.
(except for the time he ran out of his enclosure onto me....)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can handle my H.Minax, it's never shown any aggression.

I hate holding/touching her though (shes about 6") as it is heavy and has a killer grip. It literally takes 5 minutes solid of gentle prodding to ease her off, which is an uncomfortable (both physically and mentally) feeling.

I'm always astounded when I see pics of geniculatas being held, going by the temprament of the one I have

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My parahybana is not that aggressive, but it kicks hairs like mad if disturbed!! So, because of this I don't mess around with her alot, I don't want a bald spider.

Andy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I can handle all my parahybanas, but don't often, simply because the hairs KILL me.
None of mine are defensive, except for the hair kicking. My male is probably close to 6", he seems a bit more nervous than one of the females. Once out, he settles down. My big female is fairly calm, and the other one is a spaz, but again, they are handleable.
As far as Usambaras, the only one I've held was a subadult male. Once out of his container, he was surprisingly docile. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis however. My females will hide from me unless they are defending an eggsac, then they are completely evil :)