Handling my pink toe (avicularia avicularia)

Passage500

Arachnopeon
I got my first tarantula about a month and a half ago (I'm pretty sure it's a he) he's an A.avic and is doing very well so far, i have tried handeling him by proding his back leggs with a brush onto my hand. He typically starts feeling my hand gets about half way on then backs away, one time he was kinda on my hand when he jumped to the log in his cage. just in this past week he has been grabbing food then letting it go and just about an hour ago I proded his legs and he turned to face the brush, now I obviously backed off. He also has a decent sized Web behind his log in the corner. Also has not melted since i got him. Do you have any tips on handeling or about why he is refusing food, is he about to molt? Thanks

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Dont handle. There is no pros, only cons. You will end up with an injured/dead Avic. There are so many risks to the spiders welfare and the only point is for your own entertainment. Do you want an injured of dead T? No? Then dont handle. Simple as that.

If you want an animal that is for petting then get a rabbit or something along those lines

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
tarantulas arent handling pets, thats a great way to end up with a dead spider. stick to hamsters if its too tempting.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
just in this past week he has been grabbing food then letting it
This can be a sign of dehydration. Post a pic of him.. With Avics just because you provide a water dish doesn't meen that they are using it.

It could also be premolt but IME the majority of Ts in premolt will either flick the prey away, move away from it or ignore it.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I got my first tarantula about a month and a half ago (I'm pretty sure it's a he) he's an A.avic and is doing very well so far, i have tried handeling him by proding his back leggs with a brush onto my hand. He typically starts feeling my hand gets about half way on then backs away, one time he was kinda on my hand when he jumped to the log in his cage. just in this past week he has been grabbing food then letting it go and just about an hour ago I proded his legs and he turned to face the brush, now I obviously backed off. He also has a decent sized Web behind his log in the corner. Also has not melted since i got him. Do you have any tips on handeling or about why he is refusing food, is he about to molt? Thanks
Stop. Prodding. Your. T.

Now. :vamp:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you have any tips on handeling
Yes, it's a great way to kill your T, esp an Avic. There's no benefit to your tarantula in handling. Handling only benefits an owner's selfish behavior.

You do know they will leap over 5 feet straight down and likely kill themselves simply because it was trying to escape what it perceives to be your threatening behavior?

If you don't really care about your pet that much, go ahead and handle it, if you would like to see it live through its full life cycle don't handle it.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Yikes! There's a lot of passive aggressiveness here! I'm certainly glad I didn't get this response when I first started in the hobby!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yikes! There's a lot of passive aggressiveness here! I'm certainly glad I didn't get this response when I first started in the hobby!
Nothing passive about it, just openly agressive. And with good reason as well. Ever seen what a T looks after it took a leap and fell to its death? Google it, and try not to cringe.
Yes. It is that bad. :(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nothing passive about it, just openly agressive. And with good reason as well. Ever seen what a T looks after it took a leap and fell to its death? Google it, and try not to cringe.
Yes. It is that bad. :(
About a year ago a new user posted a picture of their AF L. parahybana after having fallen from a countertop onto tile. Of course he was trying to handle and the spider bolted. Spiders basically explode when they fall onto a hard surface, they're just not built to handle that kind of trauma.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
About a year ago a new user posted a picture of their AF L. parahybana after having fallen from a countertop onto tile. Of course he was trying to handle and the spider bolted. Spiders basically explode when they fall onto a hard surface, they're just not built to handle that kind of trauma.
I know. I have only seen one picture of a T that died from a fall, it made me sick to my stomach. Of course, the picture is nowhere to be found...i wanted to post it here, but i think the one who uploaded it has taken it down.

cold blood

Staff member
Dont confuse education with agression....imo thats a huge learning barrier for a lot of people on the forums.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
All I know is that after seven years of keeping Ts, if I received the kind of responses that are present here, I likely wouldn't have gone as far into the hobby as I did. That's not saying that the positions here are false, just that the way people are going about it is really deterring.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I think certain words typed on screen can be taken in the wrong context. And often are.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
All I know is that after seven years of keeping Ts, if I received the kind of responses that are present here, I likely wouldn't have gone as far into the hobby as I did. That's not saying that the positions here are false, just that the way people are going about it is really deterring.
People come here for help. If they don't like it, bye. Personally, I don't have the time to sugarcoat every word. I could be a little nicer sometimes, but eh.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
People come here for help. If they don't like it, bye. Personally, I don't have the time to sugarcoat every word. I could be a little nicer sometimes, but eh.
There's a difference between not sugarcoating things and pushing people away from the hobby. If you don't have time to explain something in a way that isn't incredibly rude, then move on. Just my $0.02.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
t
There's a difference between not sugarcoating things and pushing people away from the hobby. If you don't have time to explain something in a way that isn't incredibly rude, then move on. Just my $0.02.
theres also a difference between a dead spider on the floor and a live one in its cage. thats all i was saying. if you think im so incredibly rude, block me.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
t

theres also a difference between a dead spider on the floor and a live one in its cage. thats all i was saying. if you think im so incredibly rude, block me.
That's why I said that you weren't wrong, just the way you are going about it is. If you want to continue this conversation, feel free to PM me. I'm sure others will appreciate this thread not being brought up all the time!