Handling Baby Ts

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I handle slings for shipping and cage transfers only. I've had them run away, but they rarely get far before I scoop them up again. Well, except for that P. chordatus that alley-ooped over the edge of the bathtub, leapt to the floor and ran out to the living room before I caught it. :eek:

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've handled my little 1.5" G. aureostriata w/ no probs, but my 1" GBB is faster than lightening and jumps! My baby 1/2" A. metallica is the most sluggish thing on the planet and loves to sit on my wrist while I do whatever!

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
I handle slings for shipping and cage transfers only. I've had them run away, but they rarely get far before I scoop them up again. Well, except for that P. chordatus that alley-ooped over the edge of the bathtub, leapt to the floor and ran out to the living room before I caught it. :eek:
Thats way to funny lol did it freak you out with the speed of him?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm used to fast and wily ts, but I was impressed with how far it made it and that it took that much of a flying leap without getting nary a scratch on it. I wigged out thinking that it'd just committed spider suicide and checked it over frantically for signs of injury. Nothing. It was about 2" at the time.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Handling small slings

Well I believe that handling them from very small can indeed help them mellow out. I have a Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum) which I got as a
1/2 inch sling and I have handled her ever since. She is now 3 1/2 inches and she has all of her color. I can handle her as I handle my Pink Zebra Beauty (E. campestratus). I actually have a couple of pictures of her on my hand. Well anyway I basically have done the same thing with all my T's; handling them from small slings. Here is some of the T's I am able to handle:
H. lividum-3.5 inch female, C. schioedtei- 4 inch female, C. fimbriatus-4 inch female, P. nigricolor-5 inch female, and P. platyomma- 5 inch female. All of the following I got from small slings, with the exception of the P. platyomma, and I am able to handle all of them without any threat displays or aggression of any kind. If handling them from small slings really didn't do any good I would have gotten bitten by now(after 10 years) with all of the aggressive spiders I own/handle. The above is only a small list of what I handle that is known to be aggressive/defensive.