Handling a juvie T. apophysis

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
Hi! I'll soon be getting a T. apophysis, which is about 6 cm in size. While I know handling them when they're bigger isn't a great idea (for their safety and mine), does anyone here handle their T. apophysis slings / juvies - even if it's just to move them? I don't want to risk the T getting hurt or me getting tagged.

If not, what would be the best way to move them (especially if the enclosure needs cleaning or for other care), that would be the least stress and safest option for the T?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have a juvie female,wouldn't even think of handling her{D she's very skittish,always ready to throw some hairs,and to top it off she'll proberly bite me if she had the chance.i just admire her behind the glass:)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have handled my big Apophysis girl, though not fullgrown yet, she is very big, around 22cm legspan at this time. I did it one time. took her out of the tank and let her walk onto my hand. I got a big threat posture almost right away, and i quickly got her back in the tank, i WONT try that again;-) So just be aware that they have an attitude and are vere unpredictable. I would not reccomend handlin them for sure;)

I have a friend who once had a fullgrown Apophysis and got tagged good and hard. I shouls say hello to everybody and say dont get tagged by this species, it hurts like hell... loong fangs and he had diarria for 3 weeks after.

Shot with DSC-S650

Last edited:

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
Thanks for that! :D

That's a stunning photo, Thomas!:cool:

How do you guys move your apophysis if you need to?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cover them with a large deli cup or even a bowl. Get a piece of cardboard and gently and slowly slide it under the bowl, then pick it up, T and all, and move it to where you need it. Then release it the same way. Put it down, slowly and carefully remove the cardboard, take the bowl off and very quickly put on the lid of the new house.
You can also, if the T is very agitated by the move, simply tip up the bowl and allow the T out, wait until it settles a bit, feed it for the first time in the new home, and while the T is occupied with its meal, remove the bowl.
We have done both and both work.
I would strongly recommend that you don't handle a T. apophysis. Mine is still a baby and is skittish, nervous, and throws itself again the sides of its housing to attack anything that moves.
I wouldn't even feel safe handling my 2nd instar blondi, its just to fast.
Slightly off topic, Thomas, your girl is just absolutely beautiful. I think I said that before but wanted to repeat it just in case.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup, i cover her w/deli cup carefully slide the lid right under her,works everytime and no hairs on me!{D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't handle, but I would pick my OW over my apo anytime. CRUNCH HAPPY!!!

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Deli cups and 12" tongs are never far from my hands :) I definitely wouldn't recommend handling this species for you sake and your T's! Also, it works quite nicley to transfer T's in the bath tub in case they happen to get away they can't go far. Good luck!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poolnymph and Mina;

Yes she is pretty cool;) I think she is in premolt now, her abdomen is very dark now and she wont eat, so i have to wait and see how big she will be then.