Handling 2" P. regalis?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While transferring a newly-arrived 2" P. regalis, s/he ran out of the cage and I put my hand out to block her/him. The sling proceeded to run all over my hands and arms. How dangerous was this? I'm not planning on doing this in the future, although the sling was acting more nervous than threatening. However, I started to wonder; when do people stop handling their "dangerous" slings?

Karen N.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not a expert ! I don't have any defensive or aggressive T's. But I will take a guess.I'd say alot don't handle them at all. And once they get defensive trying to put two venom injected holes in your flesh.Thats probably a good sign. Its probably not a good ideal to handle pokey's at all from what I have seen in here. But thats IMO. Wich doesn't mean much as I'm not a expert .:?

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

if you have to ask, dont do it.

if you do it, save your game, reload when you die!!!!!!

actually, a nervous reaction in an arboreal T can be considered somewhat synonymous with an extended threat reaction with a terrestrial T only because in both instances your about one step away from the bite. Apparently, pokies and such arent likely to give warnings like the two pedipalped slap of Brachypelma and Grammastola, so if you dont have a calm enough T that you cant keep it in your palm, I wouldnt intentionally handle it at all. If you do, then you have a nice specimen and all the luck to you.

Theres a few threads floating around on pokie venom, do a bit of research and consider the risks. For me it was worth it because I trust myself... your the only one who can really gauge that factor.

On the other hand, tetanus and systemic bilateral reactions cant be too bad, right?

-V

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A pokie is no spider to get bitten by, but they don't carry tetanus. In fact, tetanus isn't usually contracted from animal bites, but from getting contaminated dirt in an open cut.

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also, metal that has begu to oxidize carries a high risk for tetanus.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
Tetanus:

Physiology: A state of continuous muscular contraction, especially when induced artificially by rapidly repeated stimuli.

I should clarify I did not mean the disease but a similar muscular condition which is almost predictable in poke bites.

-V

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
Ultimate Instar,
I was bitten by a 6" p. regalis. I didn't die (obviously) or get sick. Others may have become sick from a Pokey's bite, but I did not. It did hurt, to say the least.

At least in MHO, a better reason not to handle a small Pokey is that they are so fast, they can get away. I had a 2-incher get away 3 years ago. Never found her.=D Never will.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by WarIsPeace
Ultimate Instar,
I was bitten by a 6" p. regalis. I didn't die (obviously) or get sick. Others may have become sick from a Pokey's bite, but I did not. It did hurt, to say the least.

U sure it wasn't a dry bite?

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
Allen,
I was told it was a dry bite, but I don't really know what that means.

It hurt. My finger (where she got me) was numb for a couple of days. I had a couple of muscle spasms in that hand, but I didn't get sick.

When it happened, I emailed a friend who sells these critters (or did sell them), and he told me not to worry. I even called the hospital. No one seemed concerned, so I wasn't concerned.

Can you explain the difference between a dry bite and a regular bite?

BTW, she didn't attack me. I corned her and she was protecting herself.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you had got venom injected you probably understand why they shouldn't be handled! You got lucky !

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
So did my numb finger and muscle spasms mean she just got a tad in me?

If a Pokey really got me and got me good, what would I experience? What are the symptoms on a healthy dose of venom from a p. regalis?

Seriously. I have no idea.

I'd appreciate any info.:?

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maybe only a trace amount from her/his last meal was on the fang, nothing to really matter, or the twitching coulda just been your body reacting to the trauma of teeth in your finger (i get muscles spasms just at times, but have never been bit :D) though who knows...but yeah dry=a bite with no venom =lucky you! :D they are supposed to have some of the super nasty kinda venom that leaves a lasting effect on your body...check out that thread, its a good one.

here is a great read about another nasty species...bite wise...i read this and marked them on my "never buy" list :D

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5832

Last edited:

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all for the website. I've bookmarked it and I'll read it asap.

I promised my wife I'd have no dangerous tarantulas. I would sure hate to see my Pokeys have to go.:(

WarIsPeace

Arachnopeon
AllenG,
The website you provided is most enlightening.

Before I ever collected a Pokey (5 years ago), I specifically asked the dealer I bought on-line from about the p. regalis and her venom. Although he is out of business now, he had been selling tarantulas for a decade. He told me a Pokey carried toxic venom, and he warned me about being bitten, but he specifically said that, if bitten, I would experience "managable" side effects. I had been collecting docile species, but I wanted an arboreal, so I got a p. regalis.

From the website, it appears I didn't do my homework/research. I really did promise my wife that I would NOT collect a tarantula that was dangerous.

Now, I have to re-think my decision to keep my 4 Pokeys. Problem is, the arboreals - especially the Pokeys - are by far my favorite.

Thanks again for the information.