Handleable Ts

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whats a good T to get that you can handle without bites or runaways besides Rose Hairs?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe a B. smithi if you like itching......but i can't think of any others right now...brain fart :?

Risto

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus campestratus, Grammostola areostriata, Grammostola pulchra, Brachypelma albopilosum, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma vagans these are just a few of the many.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Eupalastrus(sp?) campestrus, Brachypelma albopilosum, Grammostola pulchra come to mind as handleable in general..

Avicularia avicularia, Avicularia versicolor, Avicularia metallica also come to mind, but may be a bit on the fast side for a beginner.

I'll try to handle anything, once.. though better judgement says not to :)

Bill

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
our best handling spider is a large female Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair). Never offered to show a fang at either of us.

Ali

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T's that aren't pissed off are good ones to handle. Like pink toes, and unlike usumbaras who are always pissed off.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
A rookies input

In my short time in the hobby, I have to say Aphonopelma chalcodes. I have a 2.5" juvie that's so damn docile it does not even rear up when I nudge any part of it's body. It will cruise quite nicely in my hands and arms without an incident. People may think this species is dull colored, but I think not - a beautiful T, IMO.

Peace, Dario

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My list has been listed. I do, however, try to handle everything, except for my giant T. blondi. She actually hisses at me.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Who ever said rose hairs were handleable?

Anyways, all the brachys that I have dealt with are good for handling.

I think Avics are alright -- be prepared -- they like to jump.

C. fasciatatum -- not really a good handdlee
L. cristata -- not a good handlee

C. cyaneopubescens -- ok

G. aureostriata -- good for handling

never tried the H. aureopilosum, P. cambridgii, or P. murinus

Jon

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ill second an E.. campestrus (Pink Zebra beauty)

My big female seems as docile as a lamb.

However one caveat: Ts are not like a bird, cat, dog or other "lap" pets. They generally do not understand holding as an affectionate thing. Keep this in mind.

All animals are ultimately unpredictable, and will attack if they feel threatened.. The threshold here is, At what point does the T feel threatened.

-Jason

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
haha yeah rosehairs sometimes arent the best to hold and since that was my first tarantula i have only held him 2 times the first time wasnt the best eather the second which was a few days ago and i post'd pictures of the ordeal was great but as seen of my own rosehair behavior i wouldnt say to,id rather hold my h.lividum-jason;P ;P

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. emilia is lovely and holdable :)

I can hold both of my avics, however I wouldn't recommend them to a newbie, because they're both very fast and can jump miles without warning.

The boyfriend's curly hair is by far the nicest spider I've held though. He's so docile and fluffy :D

Originally posted by jwb121377
Eupalaestrus campestratus, Grammostola areostriata, Grammostola pulchra, Brachypelma albopilosum, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma vagans these are just a few of the many.
Good god no! If I handled my B. vagans he'd take my arm off :eek: :D Think he's an exception to the rule though :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
A. moderatum... mine was a sweetie. No handling now since she's in ICU!

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 7in. Phormictopus cancerides is handleable, only for a short while, then she'll run off my hand and sit in her cage.

Steve