"Handfeeding" Avics...

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys.

I have put a kind of joy into hand feed my Avics..

Not with the hands of course, but making a succesful feeding with forceps and giving the food to them when they are s/lings as they have a little harder time to "see" the food.

Example,,today, my A.Avic. 3/4', has made a real fun web by the way,,I have this piece of wood up against the corner and she has webbed a tube behind the wood and then she added another tube on top of that tube up into the ceiling.

I released a cricket on top of the tube and the cricket ran down and my A.Avic she really got scared and she just ran straight down.

The cricket was going up and down and up and down and afterwhile my s'ling turned around went back up the tube slowly, and the cricket ran straight into, yes guess what, one hungry A.Avic, that has molted once, recently.

My 3/4 Versicolor is so "lazy" now that s/he has one posture: Sitting with front legs up through upper portion of webtube waiting for my forcep.
Yesterday I held a cricket towards the opening of the tube and before I even saw what happend I was standing there with a forcep holding a cricket leg and rest of cricket gone.
Today,, s/he went for the cricket the same way again even before I released it and tried to grab it and I didn't release in time and s/he was there next second again and cricket was gone.

This handfeeding is really fun.

Maybe I should start making dining menues for them:D

Kenny

U

Unregistered

Thats really neat! If i wasn't so nervous/flinchy/jumpy at my tarantulas ever move id try that also. I'd love to be able to feed my tarantulas with my forceps. Perhaps this helps in the taming process as well.

Mark

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
getting used to......

Hi..:)

Yes,, my Avics isn't half as "jumpy" anymore when I am in there compared to before and they kinda "know" when my hands are in there, they even move to give space without getting skittish when I "hunt" a cricket that I want to take out that they haven't eaten.

I just want my hands become "none-threatening" for them and I think they is getting used to it now that my hands are in there now and then and on top of that my hands also means: F o o d time

:D

Kenny