hamsters

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my son has been bugging me for weeks to get him a hamster so off to the pet store we went, he picked out this young female shorthaired hamster. I have been waiting for her to bite him but she seems very sweet so far. anyone else keep these little fur balls?
Ed

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been keeping and breeding hamsters on and off for about 12 years now. Interestingly enough, being that this is a spider board - I recently got a hamster rescue in that had been bitten on the face by a spider (so the previous owners claim) and his whole face was swollen up nicely. :)

Rav

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ed,
I LOVE Hamsters! If you get them while young, and handle them frequently, they make wonderful pets. But, don't wake them up to handle them; they get REALLY pissy if you do.
Peace,
Gillian

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Awww! :D SHes so cute. I never owned hampsters. Just gerbils, mice and one short-lived rat.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I used to keep hamsters until I got a pet rat, and then I relized how much they make better pets. I can't tell you how many times I got bit by a cranky hamster while just doing something simple as filling the water bottle. Ofcorse otoh I've had hamsters that were total sweetharts, and loved to be handled. You and your son will know with a couple of days weather you got a sweet or psyco hamster that you could name Normanetta bates. :D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
I used to keep hamsters until I got a pet rat, and then I relized how much they make better pets. I can't tell you how many times I got bit by a cranky hamster while just doing something simple as filling the water bottle. Ofcorse otoh I've had hamsters that were total sweetharts, and loved to be handled. You and your son will know with a couple of days weather you got a sweet or psyco hamster that you could name Normanetta bates. :D
well so far no bites here, she must be a sweety then......I also have rats, but they are breeders, probably at least 40 of them in my garage now. I gave two female juv rats to a tarantula buddy and she says they are great pets. I was surprised as I never handled them as babies and yet they tamed right down.
Ed

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Awww! :D SHes so cute. I never owned hampsters. Just gerbils, mice and one short-lived rat.
gerbils!? OY!
:eek:
:D
yet another "illegal" pet that we can't have here in california.....
Ed

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
gerbils!? OY!
:eek:
:D
yet another "illegal" pet that we can't have here in california.....
Ed
Illegal? If you want I can smuggle some.....

Illegal? Why on earth? Dont be too bothered by that though. Theyre bloody annoying.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think thats a golden hamster right?

I had a two before, male and female. They breed like.....like ANIMALS!! lol. Went from 2 to 14 to 53 in under 3 months. I ended up giving them away, could have sold but not fast enough =D . They're very easy, only they smell up the cage fast. Saw dust litter, drinking bottle for small mammals, a food tray, a wheel to run, and some chewing toys. Put in a salt lick too....

I feed them all kinds of nuts and beans. Just try the vegetables, and fruits out. You gotta experiment here because the list is way too long to list. Oh yea they love seeds too. Temperature 70 is great. 65 is alright, shouldn't be 60 or below.....they won't die but its uncomfortable. Humidity moderate.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
We can't have gerbils in California?!?!?!?!?

I had a guinea pig once, but everybody said it looked like a fuzzy suppository so I got rid of it!

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
We can't have gerbils in California?!?!?!?!?

I had a guinea pig once, but everybody said it looked like a fuzzy suppository so I got rid of it!
LOL...And you got rid of it? What if I had said your T's looked like fuzzy suppositories with legs? :)

Bry

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:rolleyes: I would say "Fang You!":rolleyes:

Actually, it was about the time I got rid of all my stinky, poopie animals. I had a houseful of iguanas, bunnies, stuff like that and I got tired of POOP! That's why I LOVE MY T's!!!

Phrurolith_J

Arachnopeon
Got a dwarf hamster about four months ago. She 's the cutest thing. She's actually quite gentle and doesn't bite. I definitely have to agree that they shouldn't be woken up to be played with ('cause they can be really grumpy) and make sure your hands don't smell like food when you play with them (if it smells good, the hamster may bite).

Other than that (and the poop, ha ha) hamsters make great pets!

:D =D :D