Hamster behavior

jerrard

Arachnopeon
I have a metal cage with bars and my hamster climbs up them and just lets go and he does this continually, just wondering is this normal hamster behavior or is he just a psycho?

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Thats normal. Ive had every kind of rodent (except beavers and squirrels) so Ive seen all kinds of behavoirs. Rodents are stupid heads, and they do all kinds of wierd things. They are awfully cute though. :) ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Rodents are stupid heads, and they do all kinds of wierd things.
not ALL rodents are 'stupid heads'
Rats are very intelligent and trainable.
just thought I'd correct this gross overgeneralization!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I'll second that... I had a common white "Lab Rat" when I ws a kid, and I had this work shirt I would wear while handling him, because he just crapped all over the place when I got him out of his cage. Anyway, he dropped a sunflower seed in the breast pocket of the shirt while crawling around on me... and I didn't think anything about it. I got him out a few days later, and put a different work shirt on... he ignored the pocket. The next day, I put on the FIRST work shirt, and the first thing he did was scramble down to the pocket, pick out the sunflower seed, and start eating... amazing memory.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll third the rat opinions. I have 8 currently, they are incredibly smart and just beg for human interaction. They actually want to be around us - where as hamsters quite frequently just prefer to be left alone, especially during the day. I also keep gerbils, chinchillas, prairie dogs... each has their little quirks and are smart about different things. Prairie dogs are incredibly intelligent and truly enjoy spending time with people, they'll literally flip over in front of you for a belly scratch. :)

Rav

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
not ALL rodents are 'stupid heads'
Rats are very intelligent and trainable.
just thought I'd correct this gross overgeneralization!

Mmm, youre right. MOST rodents are stupid heads. Like gerbils for example. Mine were dumb as door knobs.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my opinion, rats just want food, and they act cute to get it. Mine has his cage below the cupboard and has figured out that a crinkly sound means that the pretzel bag is getting opened. hamsters just seem to sleep all the time, and not do so much, i'm kinda surprised to hear about one moving around a lot. I guess as long as he doesn't hurt himself too much, it's alright for him to climb around.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
The poor critter may just want to come out and play:)
Get him an exercise ball, you know the plastic ball with a lid.
Plunk him in one of those for a little while each day.
It made mine act more "normal"