Hamorii and GBB sling enclosures

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I have a 1-2cm GBB and 2-4cm B hamorii sling arriving tomorrow. Here's what I have set up so far. I already slightly upsized the hamorii enclosure as I was concerned the hide was too small and I couldn't fit a bigger one in the original enclosure. I'm hopeful the GBB hide is big enough too, but conscious that it might ignore it and just make a web home anyway, hence the extra cork bark and leaves. Though do wonder if the height is sufficient for that.

The GBB enclosure is about 8x8x4cm

The Hamorii one is about 16x8x5cm

Both have coco fibre sub that is currently pretty dry - the GBB's is bone dry, but the Hamorii's I have moisted a little to maintain some structural integrity for the burrow. You can see I have added water bowls to both, which I plan to overfill a bit so there is a section of moist sub.

Any particular issues with these setups? My main concerns are if they are slightly too big (though they are only a tiny bit more than 3x DLS so my hope is this shouldn't be too overwhelming and should give a bit of room to grow into) and whether the GBB has enough height for its webs.

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If I were you, I’d lessen half of substrates from the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescensenclosure, for it will not likely to dig, and burrow, instead it will web most of the space in the enclosure.

This is just my suggestion.

Last edited:

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I'm wondering now whether that enclosure is high enough for the GBB, even if I remove some sub like @BoyFromLA suggests. Thing is, if I want to give it some more height from the containers I currently have I will need to increase other dimensions too. E.g. I have a round container about 9.5 diameter at the bottom (10.5 at the top) and about 7.5cm tall, as well as a square one about 9x9cm with 6cm height. Are these too big for a 1-2cm gbb sling? I guess the square one is only another cm bigger...

If not too big, how high up should the sub ideally go?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Just house it into what you currently have. You will have to rehouse it after a molt or two later anyway. Don’t get too stressed.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Don’t get too stressed.
Advice I could generally do with absorbing, tarantula-related or not.

Yeah, I may be overthinking it. Just don't want the tiny one to get overwhelmed by its enclosure as I know it's more of an issue with slings than bigger Ts, but we're only talking small differences here I guess.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Should be just fine. Give the gbb a little less substrate ans a few sticks as well. Then you'll be all set.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
How do I maintain access to the water dish? If it's going to web the hell out of the enclosure I imagine it's going to get covered over pretty sharpish.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sink water bowls into sub

you just have to keep cleaning web

these questions and others have been answered in the past few months and beyond for GBB

when less than 2” as long as abdomen is plump for a GBB water is not so much an issue. Once they, and many other species over 2-3” DLS, a fat abdomen does NOT mean a T doesn’t need water