Halloween heros babies

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Interesting link & it's quite clear interbreed is possible between two subspecies.
Nevertheless heros "subspecies" are only distinguished by color and no other taxonomical features that distinguish each scolopendromorpha specie i know so far (as featured in "Das Tierreich" by Attems). That makes Sc. heros "subspecies" only "color morphs" and thus only variants of heros.
Just my 2 cents, but it sounds plausible to me.

BTW: The taxonomically valid specie is Scolopendra heros.
Scolopendra heros castaneiceps, heros, arizonensis don't exist as subspecie.

Regards
Turgut
species is singular lol

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your momma looks a little inbred herself. post a pic of the far west banded color variant. those along with the arizona banded variant have to be my favorite. one thing i have noticed about the texas banded variant is it is MUCH more robust than all the others. it is incredibly robust.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm guessing the female is very old for a pede. It looks like she's been through a lot. Right when I found her under a rock I thought to myself, ..."she is old" and that was three years ago. I think most S. h. castaneiceps have a little more pigment in the last two segments but so little sometimes that it's only very slightly noticeable. Every castaneiceps baby I've seen that starts to darken have the last two tergites darken first which also suggests that might be the case ..or they just might darken up first back there, who knows... When are you going to post pics of those banded heros heros you have? I want to see those suckers! The one I have is a male and he is still kind of small, around 5 inches. I let a bigger one get away that was a few feet away from him, that was painful.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here ya go. arizona banded heros

these and the texas bandeds are my favorite heros morphs.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Giggiddy:drool: , I have one like that and it's pretty crazy acting but I wanted to see the ones you found from Texas ...the "robust" banded heros heros you talked about.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that's defenetly one of the nicest looking centipedes on the continent...

phil.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont have pics of the texas banded thing yet. i wont be able to post a pic for a while. i am finnishing the packing and driving up to washington state today. it may be a week before i get the pic up. i know you have the same pede, just post a pic of yours. also, i dont have any comparisson pics to show the robustness of the texas animals VS the other animals. infact, the only pede i have is a single texas banded individual.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awwweeee Maaaaaaaan:rolleyes: ! I've posted that one. Well good luck with the move. Yeah your pics look familiar, older(?)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
S. heros usually keep the basic color they have several days after they reach 2nd instar but these are getting more color. Look at this one, pretty cool. The last 2/3rds of it's body is getting a nice looking green color, getting more interesting than I thought it would as far as color goes.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok... not sure if this was already posted or not.... who cares?! When can we get some of those :D :)

Very cool!

Cheers

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha! I don't know if I can hang in there long enough to try to breed them ...if they are even able but, who knows:? Some others are still all orange with the black two tergites.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are molting again and starting to look the way I had imagined them to look. Let me know if you can't see the pics, I can't see them.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Centipedes give me the heebie-jeebies, but man, if they stayed that "rainbow" color I'd buy one or two for sure! Gorgeous pedes. :clap:

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is getting interesting.I had a feeling they wouldnt come out straight heros heros.

Cant wait for future pics.

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it sure that Sc. h. heros, Sc. h. castaneiceps and Sc. h. arizonensis are not subspecies but just colour forms?

If they are real subspecies I would say that mating them seems not to be a good idea.

This would create new species, which makes it hard and harder to identify and make the taxonomical system clear....

Any way, please keep the animals for yourself and don`t spread them...

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh man... I am SO GREEN with envy... :D

Very interesting to see the development, it's almost as if there's some sort of slow genetic mutation going on as they molt. Looks as though the head and first two segments are staying orange as well... awesome.

Thanks for the updates! And as always:
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're lookin really strange now. If it keeps getting dark like that, I wonder if those last couple segments are even going to be distinguishable. What's the mortality rate? How big is the one in the picture?

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, those guys are coloring up nicely. I guess the blue for the S. h. castaneiceps is starting to mix with the yellow of the S. h. heros and green is showing through. Do you know what separates the different subspecies in the wild? I wonder if there is a geographic integration point. I was thinking that the banded varity might have been the integration between the two...well, I guess not.

Keep us posted,

W. Smith