Haitian Brown question

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
Botarbys has Haitian browns for sale. This picture that he has of them looks awesome, but every other picture I see on the internet doenst look quite like this one. I was wondering if anyone who owns one could tell me, is the color of the hairs more red like they are in this pic, or purple like they are in all the others I am seeing? are there any haitian browns that are this red?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i do not have one but in a book i have it says it densely covered with orange bristles and it looks darker in my book ? --- phil

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'd say they are more brown-colored as adults, with copper/red/purple highlights....
this picture does it justice: (Property of 'Taki' from www.tarantulas.co.za)
you'll notice the picture Botar has is of a mature male, which often looks different from females/immature males.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a mature male, so its colors are more vibrant. The females are more brownish with purple/golden hues slightly everywhere. I actually wouldn't say its just one color, I had 4 P.cancerides before and the two females didn't have the same exact color. One was a copperish other was a purplish, but both had a overall brown look.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you're getting one on color alone, you'll probably be disappointed. The cancerides are mostly brown with lovely metallic bronze and/or purplish hues. But they have other desirable qualities, too. Like size. They get huge and grow quickly. They are also voracious eaters and can have quite the attitude. :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find them under rated. After a molt they have so many subtle hues of colors its stunning.

On another note, you are using a picture by someone else without permission.

TJPotter

Arachnopeon
Here's what mine looks like at the moment, just a hint of "copperish" irridescence on the carapace for now. She's sitting on a 4" deli cup lid for size reference.

She's gonna be gorgeous when she molts!

T

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sometimes you get lucky and get one to be really purple like this female

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find them under rated. After a molt they have so many subtle hues of colors its stunning.
Agree with many peeps here
Phormictopus cancerides very under rated
they are very interesting personalety and nice lookin T's specialy after molt
but of course many T's look best after molt :D

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On another note, you are using a picture by someone else without permission.
That is a picture from my site by Randy May. Although Randy has the rights to all photos, I doubt he'd have a problem with it being used in this way... especially since his copyright info is still clearly on the image. Commercial use without his permission or removing the copyright info would clearly not be okay. I know this from personal conversations with Randy over a recent incident with his photos being used on Wiki without his consent.

Also, as someone already mentioned, this photo is of a mature male.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is a picture from my site by Randy May. Although Randy has the rights to all photos, I doubt he'd have a problem with it being used in this way... especially since his copyright info is still clearly on the image.
Yeah, just don't remove the copyright info, post it on Wikipedia, and credit yourself as the photographer :rolleyes: (yes that really happened).

Botarbys has Haitian browns for sale. This picture that he has of them looks awesome, but every other picture I see on the internet doenst look quite like this one. I was wondering if anyone who owns one could tell me, is the color of the hairs more red like they are in this pic, or purple like they are in all the others I am seeing? are there any haitian browns that are this red?
First I've got two of these myself and I can tell you, they're not brown. They start off blue, and then turn darker with pink-ish highlights. For their look, personality, size, and ease of care - the species is a steal. Second, as already pointed out, the specimen pictured was a mature male and they have lots of iridescent hairs. So it you shoot them with lots of light (as I do), they really glow - same with P. metallica's and others.

Maybe I'll shoot my smaller ones this weekend (waiting for a new lens to arrive).

AnimalMother

Arachnopeon
To Everyone

Thank you for your responses. I know it sounds wierd to want a tarantula on color alone, but for some reason, the red and black looks way better than the purple/brown/ whatever I have been seeing. I like the mature males body as well. the long legs kick some major ass

To Hedora

What are you, the hall moniter? Go find something else better to do

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol i dont know how big or what color mine is , all i see is a bug disposal hole lol

xrickus

Arachnopeon
I have a 2" sling, with a really interesting blue color with golden hairs.
I must say it has a lot of personality, exploring the enclosure day and night and never refuse to kill a prey even few hour before molt.