Hairy Theraphosa blondi

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
I have been seeing pics of various Theraphosa blondi specimens and the length of hair on their legs varies quite dramatically

Is this due to the locale where they originate from, crosses between blondi and stirmi before they were considered separate species, or from a single pure blondi eggsac , there can be individuals with both long and short hair?

I would be interested in acquiring a long haired one but not sure how to ensure it apart from buying an adult or subadult specimen

Hope someone can clarify the above

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Do you have photos to show what you are describing? Im not big into the Theraphosa genus, but I have not heard of different length setae'd individuals between locals, maybe I'm just ignorant on it though, but this is a new question for me.

T. blondi do have setae on the patella or spider knee/knee cap region, where as T. strimi do not,.

Although perhaps you are looking at mislabeled pictures of Theraphosa apophysis, which have much different looking setae as far as length and arrangement and amount seem to go, especially how they look when younger. I have never owned any of the three though.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
My understanding of it is what was said above, setae on patella for T. blondi and not for T. stirmi too.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
I have pictures which i have taken from different social media places but i dont know if I can be showing them here without the owners permission to be honest

Here are a couple of hairy one found on google images

This one seems to be a lot less hairy

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well, specimens do have some variation and size is a factor somewhat. But scientifically at the moment, there isn't any locality variation that I'm aware of. Why worry about length of setae if you have a true T. blondi? Any T. blondi is impressive by itself already.

0.1 T. blondi

My other 0.1 T. blondi Specimen
IMG_2326.JPG

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I prefer the hairy ones.
i know the three different species and have kept a few stirmi in the past, but have seen blondi some with really long hair and some with short hair and but both definitely blondi

Please check Guy Tansley’s comment on 1:40 of this video

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Thanks. I prefer the hairy ones.
i know the three different species and have kept a few stirmi in the past, but have seen blondi some with really long hair and some with short hair and but both definitely blondi

Please check Guy Tansley’s comment on 1:40 of this video
Good video. Guy himself says the ones from Suriname locale are more hairy. Let me know if you source some 😁

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I love how every now and again there is a new Theraphosa blondi situation in the pet trade.

Years ago, we had a T. blondi that was massive in leg span and body size with bald knees. The spiderlings of which had pink tarsi on legs 1 and 2. That turned out to be a new species of Theraphosa named T. stirmi.
Apparently, there is a T. blondi in north eastern South America that is massive in leg span and body size with long hairs on the legs from the patella segment to the tarsi which isn't in the pet trade. Or maybe it is?
Now, we have a T. blondi in the pet trade originating from some unknown location in South America which are smaller and not so massive in leg span and body size with short hairs on the legs. The spiderlings are a uniform blue-grey color with no pink tarsi on any legs. Is this the same T. blondi as the T. blondi sold in the pet trade over 20 years ago in which the spiderlings were grey-blue?

So what the heck is a Theraphosa blondi anyway? :rolleyes:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Blondi correct?
How large is it? It looks like a T. stirmi based on the coloration and smaller specimens of T. stirmi tend to look like T. blondi since they have hairs on the patella as well when smaller. But as T. stirmi grows out, the hairs on the patella disappears which gives them the distinct bald patella/knee.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
How large is it? It looks like a T. stirmi based on the coloration and smaller specimens of T. stirmi tend to look like T. blondi since they have hairs on the patella as well when smaller. But as T. stirmi grows out, the hairs on the patella disappears which gives them the distinct bald patella/knee.
5 inches or so

Liquifin

Arachnoking
5 inches or so
That does not look like 5'' inches to me. But I'd recommend to label it as Theraphosa sp. until it grows out a little more. I recommend posting another picture but this time post it in the ID gallery since the picture you currently isn't enough to be sure.