Hairy Scorpion

BigTexJohn

Arachnopeon
Hello this is my first GHDS and I know they need all heat 70-90*. I am putting mine in a 29 gallon aquarium. Instead of a heat of I was gonna use a heat lamp (day use only and off at night) what size would be appropriate. I have a 65W heat bulb that I used for an old bearded dragon (rip) and I have an 25W that I used for a Texas bark scorpion.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Most people have them in a five to ten gallon. I don’t know about heating because I have a heat pad and my room is 82 degrees during summertime

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Enclosure is too big. Make sure they can hide from the heat if you decide to use lamps. I’ve heard of people doing it successfully but I’d still recommend a heat pad on the side. They can go to it when they want, and get away from it when they don’t. They’re less expensive too.

BigTexJohn

Arachnopeon
Enclosure is too big. Make sure they can hide from the heat if you decide to use lamps. I’ve heard of people doing it successfully but I’d still recommend a heat pad on the side. They can go to it when they want, and get away from it when they don’t. They’re less expensive too.
What size heat pad u think will be big enough. And I would go smaller but all my small tanks are low sided or way to small. So the next thing I’ve got is a spare 29

BigTexJohn

Arachnopeon
What size heat pad u think will be big enough. And I would go smaller but all my small tanks are low sided or way to small. So the next thing I’ve got is a spare 29
Also the other heat lamp I got is one of those zilla mini heat lamps with a 50w mini bulb. Would that be better cause the heat pad I got is a small (used it on a 20 gallon)

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
In my opinion, a lamp is perfectly fine for a desert species like Hadrurus arizonensis, as long as it can get away from the heat of course.

I also don’t think you can go too big when it comes to enclosure size, as long as you can provide the animal with everything it needs. It doesn’t need such a big enclosure to do well, and it might be more difficult when it comes to feeding, but if you can make sure that the temperatures are right and it has access to food and water as often as a scorpion needs to, that’s fine. It might even be beneficial to have more roaming area, who knows.
So yes, it may require more maintenance to provide a large enclosure, but that doesn’t mean it cannot be done successfully.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
In my opinion, a lamp is perfectly fine for a desert species like Hadrurus arizonensis, as long as it can get away from the heat of course.

I also don’t think you can go too big when it comes to enclosure size, as long as you can provide the animal with everything it needs. It doesn’t need such a big enclosure to do well, and it might be more difficult when it comes to feeding, but if you can make sure that the temperatures are right and it has access to food and water as often as a scorpion needs to, that’s fine. It might even be beneficial to have more roaming area, who knows.
So yes, it may require more maintenance to provide a large enclosure, but that doesn’t mean it cannot be done successfully.
I do agree with this, but if you have a small setup it may be best to go with a small heat pad. Like they state above, they need to be able to get away from the heat source. Many people do use the lamps though. They aren’t bad or worse than the pads necessarily, but they probably need to be monitored more closely. I haven’t used lamps though. I have two separate hides in my H. arizonensis enclosure. One on the cooler side with the water dish it never drinks from, and one near the side with the heat pad.

“Too big” is mostly just for lack of better terminology. Not really that it’s bad but it is unnecessary. They won’t utilize most of the space if it’s huge. But it is probably a better idea to go bigger if you’re using heat lamps for sure.

BigTexJohn

Arachnopeon
I do agree with this, but if you have a small setup it may be best to go with a small heat pad. Like they state above, they need to be able to get away from the heat source. Many people do use the lamps though. They aren’t bad or worse than the pads necessarily, but they probably need to be monitored more closely. I haven’t used lamps though. I have two separate hides in my H. arizonensis enclosure. One on the cooler side with the water dish it never drinks from, and one near the side with the heat pad.

“Too big” is mostly just for lack of better terminology. Not really that it’s bad but it is unnecessary. They won’t utilize most of the space if it’s huge. But it is probably a better idea to go bigger if you’re using heat lamps for sure.
Ok thank u both. Yeah as I said earlier. I found my mini heat lamp with a 50W mini day bulb in it. And yes there will be several hiding spots on heat and cool side. I’m using a play sand eco clay (that zilla molding substrate) combined.

BigTexJohn

Arachnopeon

Also food will be mixture of crickets and hand feeding of meal worms.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Ok thank u both. Yeah as I said earlier. I found my mini heat lamp with a 50W mini day bulb in it. And yes there will be several hiding spots on heat and cool side. I’m using a play sand eco clay (that zilla molding substrate) combined.
Good idea! I have been wanting to construct premade clay burrows for mine since I read someone on here did it. I have been wanting to look into what to use for it more but I thought it was very smart. They’re easy scorps to care for and great eaters. They were one of my first arachnids I acquired. Very good choice!