Haired by B. Boehmei

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Tell me something...is it RARE for someone like me NOT to be sensitive to uritcating hairs? It seems to me that most people have at least some noticeable reaction, so am I just one of a lucky few, or what? It's odd, since I'm allergic to just about everything else!

pitbulllady

I can tell you that they never bothered me OR Terri until we said aloud, what you just claimed.

Its only a matter of time now...

I think the point of this thread, originally by Rourke, was not only to drum up sympathy, but to make the point that the irritation gets worse over time. Those of us that were not sensitive in the past are... those that were already sensitive are eventually forced to sell their NW stock.

Of course, not all, but the potential exists in all of us, at least until the matter has been investigated more thoroughly, or until they come up with a magic pill.

Last edited:

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
dern, I have my first T, a G. rosea, and I can tell after reading this thread that she haired me the first day I got her.

I'm allergic to just about everything ... I had 2 blisters between my fingers that night that itched like h*&l. At least now I know what they were and I have a reason not to handle her besides it being a SPIDER :?

Anyway -- with G. Rosea's and the hairs -- do they flick alot and do they float well - she's in our bedroom and now I'm worrying about whether I should move her.

Last edited:

Airman

Arachnopeon
I was handling my G. Rosea the other day and like a fool I forgot to wash my hands after. I rubbed my eyes a bit and sure enough got a couple hairs in one of them. :wall: It was a slight irritating sensation, with mild eye watering.

It didn't bother me too bad but definitely threw my pool game off a little :p

All in all it went away within a couple hours and wasn't really that bad, but shes never actually kicked hairs at me I would imagine that to be alittle worse.

I'll take hairs anyday over a bite from my Pterinochilus Murinus. I haven't been bit yet thankfully but I hear it can be horrible!

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Luckily Avic hairs don't bother me. But than I don't handle my Ts much and I always use tweezers when cleaning their cages. I gave up my Brachys but no way I'm giving up my Avics.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
My smithi runs around kicking hairs whenever I have to open his enclosure. I got hit by a good cloud of them last week. I immediately rinsed my arm for a few minutes under cold water. Aren't the hairs kinda similar to insulation or fiberglass fibers?
I only ended up with one blister between my knuckles, so not bad. I don't know if the rinsing right away helped or not. But, I know that's what I do when I get insulation or fiberglass fibers on me. Cold water is the key I believe.
I'm glad I didn't end up with more then that. I just couldn't quit scratching it.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh striking Boehmei! I'll order a couple asap, and some emilias too. Strange to have over 30 T's and no brachys, dont' you think?

Airman

Arachnopeon
Aren't the hairs kinda similar to insulation or fiberglass fibers?
But, I know that's what I do when I get insulation or fiberglass fibers on me. Cold water is the key I believe.

Thats exactly what I thought of, pretty much the exact sensation that I get from that Pink Panther fiberglass insulation. Soap and cool/cold water seems to work best from my experience.

Fenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just came across this and was wondering has anyone tried saltwater, vinegar, and meat tenderizer mixed together? We typically use stuff like that to help w/ jellyfish stings down here. The meat tenderizer softens the skin and sometimes the jellyfish barbs (which are microscopic) will just fall right out.

h4773r

Arachnopeon
Check it out

In your case, I would totally recommend underarmor. i had the same problem, my b. smithi would mangle me when it was home upgrade time. Doesn’t particularly have to be under armor tho maybe the off brand starter stuff from Wal-Mart. But you can get it in long sleeve and turtleneck so that the hairs don’t bother you as bad, wear your (off brand) underarmor with a regular shirt, a white lab mask and a set of cloth gardening gloves and you ought to be fine, hairs will be the last of your worries m8. :D hope this helps you like it did me.

PS - nice tats bro

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm never going to handle my B. boehmei

Someone got haired by a B. boehmei in September of 2004 and people are still talking about it! That is scary, now I'm afraid of my fireleg, its setae must be the most powerful force in the universe. :wall:

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The reaction some of you are having where you describe tiny hard blisters is called allergic contact dermatitis and is best treated with Corticosteroid ointments.

Antihistamines (like benadryl) are not going to help much, so reach for the cortizone!

My smithi didn't get me too bad, but sometimes I think my vagans kicks if you breathe too loudly in the same room with him :rolleyes:

My Ts just make me regular itchy, but I have gotten that same blister reaction to other things since I was a little kid so I'm a little too well versed in dealing with it.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
try greasing up with vaseline before handling. maybe, just maybe the hairs will stick to it and you can spatula/scrap it off later.

wear a painter's mask and goggles too.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a very, very old thread.

Thanks for the info, though. Benadryl less effective, corizone more effective.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a very, very old thread.

Thanks for the info, though. Benadryl less effective, corizone more effective.
I figured since it was posted as the definitive hair reaction thread in the FAQ above and I actually had novel and useful information it was probably worth a resurrection. :)

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Wow, that's crazy. Boehmi's are so beautiful, especially yours. I have a B. Smithi 1.5 in sling, I can't wait 'til it gets bigger but I know how much they love to kick, and I'm just researching the effects as much as possible. Your case sounds bad, but very informative. Now I'm just learning about cases getting worse over time, that sucks. I would have thought that an immunity slowly builds, well thanks for sharing your experience.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that's crazy. Boehmi's are so beautiful, especially yours. I have a B. Smithi 1.5 in sling, I can't wait 'til it gets bigger but I know how much they love to kick, and I'm just researching the effects as much as possible. Your case sounds bad, but very informative. Now I'm just learning about cases getting worse over time, that sucks. I would have thought that an immunity slowly builds, well thanks for sharing your experience.
Just saying, but this thread is 7 years old.. lol. Looks like its been dug up a few times though.

opiomylo

Arachnopeon
I'm stupid enough to play with my G.rosea bump when his about to premolt.now i get itching all over my body and drive me crazy.this is a lesson a never will forget lol

JungleJus

Arachnopeon
First time I've found this thread! It's true!
I'm so glad I'm not alone. None of the tarantulas I work with have a tendency to kick hairs too often so it took me years to notice my reaction getting stronger. Then I rehoused and full cleaned an adult female L.P. and it was 24 hours of hell on earth! Since then, if I'm even in a room with a pissed off T I can feel it all over my face! Can't do any sort of enclosure maintenance that requires disturbing the substrate at all. So I'm pretty confident that the reaction does strengthen over time!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
First time I've found this thread! It's true!
I'm so glad I'm not alone. None of the tarantulas I work with have a tendency to kick hairs too often so it took me years to notice my reaction getting stronger. Then I rehoused and full cleaned an adult female L.P. and it was 24 hours of hell on earth! Since then, if I'm even in a room with a pissed off T I can feel it all over my face! Can't do any sort of enclosure maintenance that requires disturbing the substrate at all. So I'm pretty confident that the reaction does strengthen over time!
The thread is 7 years old. And dead. And by now it is a given fact that response to urticating hairs gets worse... ;)