Hadrurus what? Was labeled dessert hairy nothing else.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
IMG_20170119_223709834.jpg Also I'm wondering about the lack of hairs on it. It has very few small hairs but from what I've seen in pictures that should have a lot more than what it does.

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Search up Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus ;). I think that is what you have there. But I have yet to search up the normal Hadrurus pallidus so it may be the first or the second. Nice scorpion btw. (And yes it looks like a Desert hairy to me)

Josh88

Arachnopeon
Search up Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus ;). I think that is what you have there. But I have yet to search up the normal Hadrurus pallidus so it may be the first or the second. Nice scorpion btw. (And yes it looks like a Desert hairy to me)
Thanks, is it normal for them to have almost no hairs on it? Also is this an adult or does it have another molt or two to go?

Stugy

Arachnolord
Not sure. For my Hadrurus arizonensis, the hairs are tan colored so yeah. I just got my desert hairy in December and there really isn't much info on scorpions regarding size/molts. Not even sure mine is an adult :D and mine is pretty big. Have you measured yours? Maybe someone else can help you better than I :(

Stugy

Arachnolord
Just noticed that you did upload the image on your first message. It seems that my phone didn't bother trying to display it until my "Not sure" message.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
Not sure. For my Hadrurus arizonensis, the hairs are tan colored so yeah. I just got my desert hairy in December and there really isn't much info on scorpions regarding size/molts. Not even sure mine is an adult :D and mine is pretty big. Have you measured yours? Maybe someone else can help you better than I :(
Yah from tip to tip it's about 4in

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 229703 Also I'm wondering about the lack of hairs on it. It has very few small hairs but from what I've seen in pictures that should have a lot more than what it does.
That is a pretty rough looking Scorpion if you ask me. I am not so sure it is a Hadrurus spp. The overall body structure and the shape/look of the telson where the stinger is seems different than Hadrurus spp. Also, like you said, there does not appear to be as much setae on it as there should be. Can you post a few more pictures from different angles?

Could be Smeringurus mesaensis.

@gromgrom @Galapoheros What do you guys think?

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like Smeringurus mesaensis, comes from a similar habitat and area afaik.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
Looks like Smeringurus mesaensis, comes from a similar habitat and area afaik.
Thanks so much I think that's exactly it. Now I'm not so worried about it being sick because it didn't look and act quite right

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I vote for S mesaensis.Looks just like the ones I have. They can be a bit skittish.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
I vote for S mesaensis.Looks just like the ones I have. They can be a bit skittish.
Yah that's what I'm thinking now too I don't know why I didn't think of that before and mine is very skittish also, I was lucky to get the picture I did.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Scorpions of the World is good. Loads of pics and good info. The distribution maps are horrible though.

AP34

Arachnosquire
The common name it's usually given is "dune scorpion" or some variant.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still a cool scorpion and similar care. Maybe not as cool as a real desert hairy tho!